Anyone running bias-ply reproduction tires on their C?

Thank you for all the input, will read that article a little later with great interest! One thing to keep in mind however is that the reproduction ones are not exactly the same as the tires they imitate. In many cases they are better.

And yes, as I understand it the BF Goodrich from Coker is 100% American, not a Michelin tire. Not sure if they have to pay for making them though...

Thank you for all the input, will read that article a little later with great interest! One thing to keep in mind however is that the reproduction ones are not exactly the same as the tires they imitate. In many cases they are better.

Yah. I know it’s old news but I thought you guys would think the historical perspective would be kinda fun. Old to us but new to them then. Polys are awesome for dirt trackin and wild assing. The only problem I’ve ever had with em was belt separation.

There was a guy in south Phoenix by Manzanita Speedway that trued tires. Believe it or not they weren’t always round. He’d shave em round THEN balance em. He had a sign that said, “anyone can balance a football ”. He’d regroove & recap old tires too. Crazy black art stuff.

Sorry about the rant.

Now Check this out.

Believe it or not I bought this mag last year specifically for the old tire test. I wanted to know how they felt about the different kinds “ back in the day”.

The guy who owns Autobooks Aerobooks in Burbank thought I was a nut when I told him. If you ever get a chance check it out it’s 200% worth the trip - - - Spring / Fall Flingers from out of state. 10 min from Burbank Airport. Which is the only one you should ever use by the way.

Sorry cell phone users you might want a laptop if you want to read the article.

View attachment 222392

View attachment 222394

View attachment 222396

View attachment 222397

View attachment 222398

View attachment 222399

View attachment 222400

View attachment 222401

Car & Driver did a similar article in the early seventies. A bias belted tire came out on top in that test.

But... It's apples and oranges comparing the tires made then to modern radials and modern repop tires. From what I understand, most of the repops are made to look like the old tire and may not be the same internal construction as the old tire. Thar could be good... or bad... depending on the construction and materials.

Having read complaints about some bias Coker tires, particularly balance and roundness issues, I would do a lot of research and speak with the tire reps before placing an order.

My '65 Barracuda came to me with repop Goodyear Blue Streak tires. Looked cool, but I replaced them with radials for everyday driving and left the bias repops for shows. Difference to me, based on my driving and the roads around me, is night and day. The radials win. Someone that doesn't drive as hard and drives on nicer roads will do just fine on a good quality bias tire.

Just my two cents but everybody I knew in the army back in the 80’s that had been “in country “ Hated the Michelin man. They told stories about how they fought against us during the war and a lot of good guys never came back from Vietnam because of that damn company. I wasn’t sure what to believe but if you look into it they sure valued those stupid trees over our guys. There’s a great story about a colonel who threw his career away to wipe out a battalion hiding in a rubber tree plantation. I would’ve given him the Medal of Honor instead of firing him. He said he’ll yah I’d do it again during his court marshal.

If your talking Michelin BFG’s you can count me out. The repro ones made by Coker Tire etc over here I guess are okay. Long long time ago but I gotta back my brothers.

Stuff like this is always interesting to me and I always wonder if the everyday person gives any thought to the lack of ethics that some businesses have demonstrated over the years. A good example is how Daimler Benz (and others) used slave labor for production during WWII. It's probably not a discussion for this thread, but we always go off topic anyway... LOL.

A lot of good info in this thread. I'll concede that my "bias" against repop tires is driven by the following:

1) night/day driving feel when switching from "old square tires" to reasonably modern radials (since most in our sizes haven't seeen any real engineering effort since the late 80s).

2) Knowing how hand-labor intensive tire construction is to this day... Very little automation when it comes to laying belts in the mold. I'm less inclined to trust processes at low-volume factories in "less regulated" regions of the world.

3) Coker horror stories vs. Diamondback positive reviews, and knowing that Diamondback usually just revulcanizes the sidewall.

Stuff like this is always interesting to me and I always wonder if the everyday person gives any thought to the lack of ethics that some businesses have demonstrated over the years. A good example is how Daimler Benz (and others) used slave labor for production during WWII. It's probably not a discussion for this thread, but we always go off topic anyway... LOL.
Big John, I guess the reason it’s always stuck with me was I was schooled about this when it wasn’t really history it was at that time. Keep in mind these guys were pretty bitter about this kind of stuff and I was a 17 year old kid. Made a big impression I guess. A lot of stuff they were angry about they’d talk in a big circle and usually end up saying aw F it nobody cares anyway. This was also back when a lot of people still hated the military. Totally different vibes today. Back then they’d throw beer bottles at us while we changed tires on a deuce and a half on the side of the road. When I graduated basic an officer came and told us it was up to us if we wanted to wear our uniform home thru the airport. He said once we were off post we were “ on our own “. This treatment has been really whitewashed from history by the embarrassed media. God Bless America.

Who out there remembers all the forgotten tire rules ??? Throw some up a lot of younger guys have no idea.

Bubble balance five spoke road wheels instead of spin due to not being hub centric

Don’t mix radial or bias

Use tire paint to prevent UV damage (important for BFG users...)

Don’t use recaps as steer tires (truckers still live and die by this rule)

Penny test for tread depth

Why tire pressure matters

How to use tubes and wheel liners...

wonder what that pile of wheels is worth now?
354f4045-860f-45fe-92d4-c65237212e52-jpeg.jpg

Do you run any bias ply or bias belted whitewalls Carsten? In that case, which ones?

sorry haven't been online in a while.
I use mostly Goodyear Polyglas and Polyglas GT
I run a few on Firestone Sport Oval Redlines and one car on Goodyears Speedways (redlines)

Carsten

I'm slowly gathering parts for my B3 1969 Chrysler Newport 2dHT and one of things I try to decide is which tires to choose. Criteria number 1 is that they have to be American made by an American company. The car will be kept completely stock except for the optional wheelcovers and a 500 cube stroker. I wouldn't mind a Cooper made Master Craft on a mid 70:s car but I think a Fuselage would look so much better with correct tires. I assume that GoodYear Power Cushion was the factory installed tire? I haven't seen them wider than 8.20 and the standard size for the Newport was 8.55-15. What I'd really like to get is the optional J78-15 but I guess I'd have to get BF Goodrich then? It is a nice looking tire, anyone have any experience about them? Any other suggestions, I'm all ears.
BF Goodrich 7/8 Inch Whitewall | J78-15 | Coker Tire

I run Firestone G70/15 Red Line Bias tires on my '68 Sport Fury stock appearing street/strip car with a 520 stroker under the hood. I always hated bias ply/bias belted tires on my C Bodies but these ride and handle pretty good for a bias tire and if you are going to be racing in the F.A.S.T. or SuperCar drag racing series they prefer you to have bias vs. radial tires and the bias tires hook up better. Some of the cars racing in these series regularly run 10 and 11 second quarter mile times with a 70 aspect ratio bias tire. The disbelievers should visit the F.A.S.T. or SuperCar Showdown websites.

Back