Anyone use ramps?

jason99

Reaction score
Does anyone use drive on ramps in their home garage for a quick lift when wheel related work isn’t needed? Any brand and model recommendations?

I do from time to time, but mine are from the 80’s. Probably K-mart when they still had some decent quality.

One tip with the steel ones. Find some thin rubber belting to put under the edges so they grip to the floor instead of pushing forward while trying to drive up.
Sometimes using a floor jack to lifbthe car and put the ramps under the tires is just as easy.

Last edited:
I like making these out of heavy timber. The cheap ones made overseas are not up to the weight of a c-body.

Dave

I use the hazard frought ramps when i do a quick oil change on the Monaco or the van.

I use cribbing blocks if i need extra height. Floor jack to get them under there.

Edit: There are some excellent solid rubber ones that don't tend to creep forward, and are easily able to withstand the weight of a C body. Plastic I don't like - as indicated by Mike below. The modern sheet metal ones I wouldn't go underneath ever. Too flimsy. The old vintage ones were much better, but the ones I like best are the rubber ones such as the ones Mike linked below:

https://www.shercomindustries.com/ez-riser-auto-ramps

The ones I posted last night I though were rubber, but they're plastic, and I wouldn't trust them either.

Last edited:
Do a Google search for "Rhino car ramps" and several companies offer them for less than $40.

Last edited:
Not sure what brand or store these were gotten at...been holding up C bodies as well as other Mopars for the last 20 years. Maybe longer.

20190327_224914.jpg

I have a set of heavy duty steel ramps. I don't trust those new-style plastic ones. Plastic can fail suddenly, especially if it has to flex. It may flex if the driveway surface isn't perfectly flat, which pretty much describes my entire driveway. Plastic also gets brittle as it ages.

The only non-steel ramps I've seen that I like are solid rubber, made from recycled tires. A friend of mine has a pair of these.

I don't believe anyone makes ramps like mine anymore. Not only are there straps from front to back along the bottom to stop them from pancaking, there is an extra vertical support in the middle.This is the closest picture I could find on the internet to mine.

181133486_steel-car-ramps.jpg

I sweep the driveway or garage floor where I'm going to place the ramps, then I put old rubber car mats underneath them. That is effective at stopping them from sliding.

I have even driven my Cummins on them to work under it occasionally, though in that case I'll also put some jackstands under the frame rails just in case.

Last edited:
I have a set of heavy duty steel ramps. I don't trust those new-style plastic ones. Plastic can fail suddenly, especially if it has to flex. It may flex if the driveway surface isn't perfectly flat, which pretty much describes my entire driveway. Plastic also gets brittle as it ages.

The only non-steel ramps I've seen that I like are solid rubber, made from recycled tires. A friend of mine has a pair of these.

I don't believe anyone makes ramps like mine anymore. Not only are there straps from front to back along the bottom to stop them from pancaking, there is an extra vertical support in the middle.This is the closest picture I could find on the internet to mine.

View attachment 281210

I sweep the driveway or garage floor where I'm going to place the ramps, then I put old rubber car mats underneath them. That is effective at stopping them from sliding.

I have even driven my Cummins on them to work under it occasionally, though in that case I'll also put some jackstands under the frame rails just in case.
Mine are like those, only black. Sturdy and heavy.

I have and still use a set of plastic ones that are approaching 20 years now. No issues other than loosing the rubber feet so now they slide some on my polished concrete floor. I didn't trust them at first, but after running a 3500 with a cummins in it up on them I figured that they'd hold everything else that I have. Of course, these new plastic ones don't look like the ones that I have.

On a side note, should I decide to replace mine I think that I would just build some out of wood.

Last edited:
I use some HF steel ramps, and some heavy jackstands for backup I use on my dually, and floor jack near by, usually under a rail, under a tiny bit of pressure. Just in case.

Had a friend few years ago working on his mini truck, (bed full of work tools, so heavy), when he was underneath banging around, fell off a jackstand. Leaf spring came down across his chest. Killed him. I'm always freaked out now when working underneath a car/truck.

I use some HF steel ramps, and some heavy jackstands for backup I use on my dually, and floor jack near by, usually under a rail, under a tiny bit of pressure. Just in case.

Had a friend few years ago working on his mini truck, (bed full of work tools, so heavy), when he was underneath banging around, fell off a jackstand. Leaf spring came down across his chest. Killed him. I'm always freaked out now when working underneath a car/truck.

I had a parts truck a number of years ago drop off the wood blocking I had under it. I had been under there just a few seconds before it dropped, got out to find a wrench. If I had not come out from under the truck I would have been dead! I always use jack stands with spare tire(s) under the the vehicle now.

I have a set that I bought in 1973. These bolted together and I stopped using them many years ago. I got very paranoid about working under cars after having a guy die next door to my old shop when a truck fell on him.

Honestly, if I had thought about it this morning, they would have gone in the metal scrap pile on the dump run. They'll be in the next one.

Some reading for those interested: Wood cribbing block DIY for raising the car in addition to jack stands | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum

Anyone here have any experience with the quickjack system? Hate bugging my buddy to use his car lift at his shop for little stuff that I could do at home. I am sick of jack stands.

QJVL3.5.jpg

These scare the hell out of me. Dont have the height in my garage anyways.

image_11756.jpg

Those are interesting too. You would be hard pressed to get under there with a creeper. Although these look good too that were on that link you posted.

P-6F-Flush-Mount-Pit-Lift-5175026-BendPak.png

Back