Are Fuselage Mopars Most Sarce Generation?

SeaFuse

Reaction score
Y'all here would know this: Are the Fuselage generation C-bodies the most scarce to find today - more specifically, to find for sale. Reason I asked, it's that a couple times over past 10 years or so, I've been in the market for a Fusealage New Yorker / Fury / Impetial, and it seems Slab Side and the final generation are much easier to find than Fuse era (I am ignoring pre slab side for this question).

Formals if you ask me. Dodge/Ply versions weren't big retail sellers to begin with, and still don't get much love.

When I was in the market for a Fury fuselage last year ,specifically a 69 I had to reluctantly broaden my search for a Fury from 65 to 72. I looked in AutoTempest.com and was willing to fly if need be to see and ship a car.
I was starting to really like the 65,66's and was seriously considering getting one instead of a 69 as the 69's were scarce . 65-68's were everywhere it seemed and many in seemingly good condition looking at the ads. The 69's through 72's were usually basket cases rusted out in a dirt back yard. There were very few for sale especially the 69. I don't know if it was just the time period I was looking that this was so. Maybe the oil crisis that was soon to come would make people discard them as obsolete and too thirsty. I don't know. I still check the ads since I bought my 69 and I still don't see very many 69 Fury's in decent or poor shape for sale.

By far the hardest to find . . . . Slab sides are easy, much easier than the rest. Chryslers and Plymouths are easier to locate compared to their Dodge counterparts.

However, I must also state that when the good ones come up for sale, they dont stay on the market but a few hours.

However, I must also state that when the good ones come up for sale, they dont stay on the market but a few hours.

Yes I have had that happen a few times. I was about to book a flight for a 69 Fury in AR that just came to market the day before. I called to make sure,,they told me a guy from Germany flew in earlier that day, paid cash then booked it on a ship and flew away. I would say in less than 20 hours of listing the ad on the internet.

I am grateful for what I have. Im not sure I could compete in todays market

I feel lucky too. I was lucky that the previous owner of my car didn't put it on ebay or something. I paid a little too much but it was what I wanted and in good overall condition. But compared to other cars like a 24,000.00 72 Nova that makes me roll my eyes my Fury was dirt cheap. Never mind all the other typical cars you see over and over and over at car shows that go for alot more. I am much happier than if I paid through the nose for a cookie cutter American classic mainstream car. We are not like the rest!!! And we are all lucky to own C bodys of any year.

Last edited:
I watch listings quite a bit, and from my experience, the fuselage cars are clearly the hardest to find now. Even 10 years ago, when I saw a fuselage I liked, I generally bought it, so maybe I am part of that problem! :rolleyes:

I have better luck finding Forward Look cars even. I see and lot of formal Chrysler New Yorkers and Imperials, but not so many Dodges and Plymouths though either.

So Steve, my 71 got kicked around a bit 12 -13 years ago. You never had an opportunity or simply wasnt interested?

So Steve, my 71 got kicked around a bit 12 -13 years ago. You never had an opportunity or simply wasnt interested?

Well, I did tend to focus on the 300s more than anything else, and then New Yorkers, Monacos and Sport Furys, and not as much on the Polaras. I tended to buy the highline stuff (after the 300s). Still, I did buy quite a few Polaras too, but sold most of them because I really wanted to focus on my Monacos since I wasn't getting any younger and had to face reality, and that reality hit me about 5 years ago just before I retired.

Wow how many cars do you own?

I certainly agree that the "Slabs" are more abundant than both "Fusies" and "Formals", at least around here. I am seeing quite a few "Slabs" cruising the streets around my area, but I've only seen two Formals at cruise nights in the past five years. I've also seen a couple of Formals, both of them were Chryslers, for sale. One of them was so rusty I don't know if it would even have made a very good parts car. As for Fusies, I rarely see them at all and I never see any for sale, except for a '69 300 convertible that was sitting on an antique dealers lot. The car looked like it had been sitting outdoors for years, if not decades. There was no engine, no roof, the interior was toast and there really wasn't much of anything to save. It's gone now. I don't think anyone bought it. He more likely gave up and sold it for scrap.

I did see a couple of "Fusies" at the cruise nights last summer. One is a local '70 Fury 2-dr HT that is owned by a younger guy. He is trying to save it. He's already installed a new vinyl top. It still needs some body work and some interior work too. The other one was a Newport 2-dr HT with Saskatchewan plates.

used to be a lota nice cars comein outa Portage at one time.... but that was long ago :(

I believe however that The popular C at Carlisle is the 69 through 73 cars. Which to me suggests that once they get bought, the buyer generally ain't selling.

Approximately 50,000 more big Plymouths were sold in '65 than '69. I recall '65 being a big sales year across the big three with converts having their best sales year ever. I am surprised the numbers were even that close. '69 was a slow year at Chrysler with lay-offs at Highland Park. Wouldn't think the higher sales makes a difference in availability today. I like any year biggin but may lean toward the '65 Dodge and Plym.

You don't really see sh** for CBodies in New England at all but I can say after my year long search for my Monaco that I was surprised at how few Fuselage cars were out there. Formals I expected to be scarce if only that I was used to them being parked in garages and forgotten.
Back in the late 90's it seemed that I found a ton of fusies just driving around looking and generally the prices were way better than Slabs. .. ugh, thinking of the cars I could have bought!

I have to say the Detroit area is sort of a weird time wrinkle in terms of vehicle mix. I can only attribute it to a higher percentage of people who can fix cars and perhaps "attachment".

Despite (in my opinion) the worst roads, most salt usage and harsh weather, it's not that stunning to see a car like this, which I snapped a outside a local post office.

Therefore, I think supply is very connected to region.

IMG_20161231_155530.jpg

Back