Article, "Get ready for mega cash for clunkers"

Pete Kaczmarski

Reaction score
save you money to get some of the "collector" cars that will be cashed in.....

Get Ready for Mega Cash for Clunkers, Morgan Stanley’s Adam Jonas Says

Adam Jonas covers the auto industry for Morgan Stanley. Barron’s spoke with Jonas recently about how the car industry can survive the shutdown, and how it might be left changed. His edited comments follow.

in-art-close-icon-128x128-16481b937f87b244a645cdbef0d930f8.png

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

On differences between this downturn and the 2008 global financial crisis:
The global financial crisis, or at least the stimulus to alleviate it, happened after the election, whereas this one is leading up to an election. That’s not a subtle difference. The other thing is that the machinery of stimulus had been primed in the not-too-distant past. So the ability to move much faster and pre-emptively in some cases is more apparent this time than in 2008 to 2009. And of course, we were still selling cars [in 2008 and 2009] even though demand fell. The factories were still running and we didn’t have the complete weight of the fixed costs burden with virtually no production.

im-168299?height=120.jpg
Crisis Hits the Car Business, Again
Ford CEO Jim Hackett and Wall Street analysts discuss how the pandemic will change the car industry.

00:00 / 21:12
SUBSCRIBE
On a mega cash for clunkers program:
We don’t think the [car makers] are going to fail the way some did back in 2008 and 2009. But the industry is going to need support. We expect a cash for clunkers program to be much larger in scope and longer in duration than what we saw. In 2008 and 2009, we saw a $3 billion package that stimulated about $14 billion of purchases. This time around we’re expecting about $10 billion of stimulus that drives $50 billion of purchases and adds about four million of SAAR [seasonally adjusted annualized rate, a measure of car purchases] over a six-month period beginning in the fall and then into early 2021.

We think that’s going to happen because without the stimulus, our best guess is that the consumer is only going to support an 11 million to 12 million SAAR, or 25% to 30% below where the industry was producing before the crisis. We’re reminding investors of the importance of the U.S. auto industry to manufacturing and jobs, particularly in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Texas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi and Alabama. These are really important swing states, certainly this year. The idea is to keep factories moving and support three or four million jobs, and indirectly, 15 million jobs.

Read more: How the Pandemic Will Change the Car Business

On how the program might work:
These are numbers more for discussion: a $5,000 coupon to scrap a car subject to a variety of criteria, including U.S. local content percentages, call it 60% U.S. content. So there’s an American domestic angle that will of course include Japanese and Korean cars produced in the U.S. There may be some household income limitations and then limitations on the kind of vehicle you can scrap, and then how much you can buy. It might have a $60,000 maximum price limitation. It’s going to be designed, we think, to support lower and middle income classes to get bipartisan support.

Also, there will be a fuel economy and a sustainability angle to it. The fuel economy of the car bought, we suspect, will be 50% better than the fuel economy of the car scrapped. By getting rid of those old clunkers, you’re getting rid of the least efficient cars on the road, too. And then there’s a safety element to it—some level of minimum driving assistance technology—so the car you’re scrapping versus the car you’re buying has a lifesaving element to it, which would get some support.

When we run the math on that, you get some interesting paybacks because you’re stimulating factories. You’re creating sales tax for states that are in pretty dire straits. You’re creating registration fees while saving fuel and lives and insurance. That’s kind of how the pitch will be.

On electric vehicles, including Tesla:
Before the crisis, we were underweight Tesla (ticker: TSLA). Then we went to equal weight. We think that Tesla’s relative lead on electric vehicles might actually be improved coming out of the downturn, as other companies pare back on what they see as nonessential spending. Though longer-term, we’ll look back on the crisis as a blip in electric vehicle adoption. Tesla over time will face a lot more competition.

On changes to the car business after the pandemic:
We came up with a list: less commuting, less car rental, younger cars, fewer dealers, more digital and touchless service. Restructured supply chains to reduce geographic dependence. Possibly less ride-sharing. You know, the whole concept of hygiene and who the prior rider was in a ride-sharing or pooling operation, or in a car rental operation, or even in the used car business, might take on an elevated importance for some time to come.

When you think about car dealers, there are so many unpleasantries about the experience from the consumer side. That’s even if you feel that you were getting a fair price. It’s just got to change. It might be wishful thinking, but I’m kind of hopeful that one of the silver linings here is that this could accelerate a better experience. The things that a well-capitalized, publicly traded car dealer can do, the average mom and pop car dealer may not be able to or willing to do. So it’s possible that you might have fewer dealers over time, but also a better experience for car buyers.

Read more: Ford’s CEO Says Its Cars Will Be Built to Kill Viruses

Lot of journalist looking for a tag line in all that jibberish.
Ford CEO says cars will be built to kill viruses.
Really, because there is not a huge medical industry that has been doing that for decades? So now a electric mustang is going to provide a sterile environment for me. WTF.
I'm going to be stuck with that stock till the day I die and still lose money. Just build cars and trucks that work and last past 84 months

I respectfully disagree with much of what the "journalist" and "financial gurus" are predicting.

During the last "Cash for Clunkers" program, I saw MANY nice cars come through the program at our dealership. A '80s Dodge custom van, probably from the grand parents, used for traveling. A Jag V-12 coupe that'd obviously been under a tree for years. And some mid-'90sPlymouth minivans that had indicated that they stood up well to their many tasks, which would have been a good candidate for a young family, again! ALL with their engines seized from the addition of liquid glass in place of motor oil. Can't forget the '86 Caprice Classic Grougham (factory wire wheel covers and all!) that had led a sheltered life, with the only signs of wear being the welting on the outside of the driver's velour seat, which came in from our Hyundai store. LOTS of good, useable vehicles, that would make good inventory for a range of lower-price-point used car lots.

Sure, there were criteria for what was purchased with the program money. Had to be a vehicle that had better fuel economy, even for pickup trucks. But the main orientation was "something newer and less polluting/better fuel economy". Key thing is that many times, the "pickup trucks" allowed to be purchased were only 1/2 ton models, not "work-type" HD2500s and such. People who are self-employed or own businesses usually have their own income tax incentives on those vehicles, which is a totally separate deal.

An observed issue with that CFC deal was that it flooded the salvage yard market. Some great inventory, but also some inventory that a reman engine might put on the road again, possibly. The salvage industry was totally inundated with vehicles, many of which they didn't want or need, as many are contracted with the salvage/auction pools to take a certain amount of vehicles, no matter what, in a rotation of sorts. Luck of the draw.

BUT the part these elevated financial gurus seem to miss is that we're in for a slower recovery than last time. HUGE AMOUNTS OF PEOPLE LOST THEIR JOBS, this time, plus missing months of rent/mortgage payments, plus other unsecured debt (credit card) bills. Certainly, more well-off people whose income streams didn't disappear might bite at the deal for a new car "out of cycle", but they could afford something newer anyway.

It was observed that those harmed by having too much debt in the last recession, seemed to learn their lesson and after getting it paid off, apparently vowed to not "do that again". But THEN a new President came along and they started spending again, such that the line of consumer debt crossed consumer assets in earlier 2019! Lesson learned? Only for a little while, apparently. What that meant was that "bubbles" were going to break as the financial institutions would cease to loan them money, due to existing debt and income to pay for it. Now that that income portion has vanished for those people, MILLIONS of people, in one quick event, the idea of just getting out of debt is again, important. NOT using federal "board game money" to get deeper into debt, I suspect. So, the seeds for future financial issues, for many USA residents, have been planted for quite some time. This time, it wasn't bubbles that broke, but an unexpected event that interrupted the financial security of many of the lower-income demographics of the world.

Consider, too, that almost everybody that works in these big financial houses probably has a large, steady income to deal with. They aren't feeling the PAIN of those in the many service industries whose businesses had to close, by directive of "loos of customers" staying home. SO, they, as in the last years of the GWBush administration, have a different perspective on things and "numbers" than those who work for hourly wages and tips.

The last CFC deal didn't result in increased auto factory output as such, just decreased the amount of inventory on the dealers' lots. This time, with the factories being shut down for a while, the dealers' inventory has decreased naturally. So IF there is a big wave of new vehicle purchasers, the inventory will not be there to really support it. PLUS we all know how long it can take to get an ordered vehicle, whether for dealership stock or otherwise. LOTS of companies will need to get ramped-up to support the magnitude of new vehicle sales which that financial guru perceives will happen. LOTS of little details that some of the Financial Gurus on Wall Street seem to miss in their "group think" orientations.

One prediction of "things getting back to normal" was "18 months" and not "v-shaped". That could be more accurate than some might desire to believe. Certainly, those whose income streams haven't been disrupted or decreased can have a V-shaped recovery, but that's not everybody. It might be reality for them, but not everybody.

Take care and stay well,
CBODY67

Car dealers surviving? Not too much of a problem for survival, considering they have several years worth of maintenance/repairs and suspected warranty work for vehicles of existing customers. Many have reduced operating hours and work schedules of most hourly-paid workers. The others are usually on individual commissions, so if they don't sell anything, no income.

The business changing? More like moving to a more customer-focused sales situation. Some brands have sought to move in that direction for many years, but it never really happened. Home delivery of new vehicles, driving the trade-in back to the dealership? It can happen regularly, especially for many fleet customers. Pickup of vehicles for service, leaving a loan car during that time? Always has been possible, but more prevalent in some luxury brands now. Not sure how they expense that out, though. Service, new car dept, or shared?

All transactions on the Internet? It's been happening, in varying degrees for years. Just moved to the forefront more now than then. Paperwork signed digitally, only more recently, with technological advances.

The observed issue now is that many have their front doors to the showroom locked, with entry only via a service drive entrance. THAT can frustrate people who desire to spend money! OR feel that they need to.

It's not so much about "change", it's about adapting to the customer's needs and desires. As all of this can mean a few new or re-purposed employees, we'll see how it all lasts after everything is over with!

By observation, prior to 2008, many of the OEMs were focusing on customer satisfaction and directed the dealers to do the same. As it was being monitored daily by the OEMs. Many dealers, by observation, usually looked at "Customer Satisfaction as WE desire to orchestrate it". Which works when times are good. When times get lean, as they were in 2008 and are moreso now, many dealers tend to fall back on the "how WE want to do it", while still having to listen to the words of the OEMs in that respect. That's my observation, at the dealership level and other places.

Many smaller dealers, even the 4th-gen family-owned stores, usually in smaller areas, are closing their doors or selling out, due to strong requests for them to purchase the recommended items to transition more into electric vehicles. Several long-established Buick stores are already on that "closed" list. Obviously strong sales points for the corporation with strong community ties. But NOT unlike then-(Cerberus) Chrysler seeking to close smaller dealers in smaller market areas due to the bankruptcy activities.

If you look at the OEM's dealer location lists from the '60s and '70s, it was about putting sales points near the customer, even if it was a town of 10K or less. A decent-size small dealership which could have a 30-40 new vehicle inventory. A decent parts/service operation, too. Especially with Ford, lesser with GM, and even far lesser with Chrysler (in the pre-Cummins era). The next-closest dealer could be 20 miles away, so they could work together for everybody's benefit. But now, the next-closest dealer is usually larger and 40 miles away, even in some metro areas. Funny thing was that the smaller, hometown dealerships usually had higher customer satisfaction levels back then, as many larger (allegedly better) metro dealers were midd-pack at best (but sold many more units).

In many cases, the smaller dealerships NOW have many of the same resources to draw from, from the OEMs and outside vendors, that the big-city stores do. I know it's that way with GM, probably Ford and FCA, too, IF any of those people might look. Many new processes and procedures and "best practices" training make that possible. Some more recently, MANY from 20 years ago.

So, to me, it's more about adaptation to the situation and better putting a physical cost on many functions. A return to "good business sense" and what some of the fluff (from the good times) really costs and impacts total profitability. A re-focusing on the core business and what really works rather than doing something just to say you're doing it. AND, some of that "fluff" is funded by the OEMs through program participation.

But the KEY thing is . . . IF somebody wants to spend money with you, YOU find a way to make that happen and NOT motivate the customer to do it with somebody else, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. Implementation and Orientation are the keys to making that happen, in a long-term manner. Rather than "flash in the pan" as has been the case so many times in the past decades, from my observations.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

No way.

1. I have too much sweat and $ in my old Plymouth.
2. I like not having a car payment.

I am guessing a new CFC program will make C bodies more scarce.

As in the last one, a CFC program would not impact the "collector" car market very much at all. More in the "daily driver late model" realm of things, by observation. Maybe some "future collectibles" of current younger generations?

It was bad to see that neglected Jag V-12 coupe on that lot, though. Only somebody who wanted one, didn't mind fixing it (and related $$$) would have been a buyer for it, I suspect, which can be a somewhat small market. Bad to see those good cars in there, too!

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Dealers here in AZ were advertising $7000 off of MSRP right before the last CFC. When CFC was announced the ads changed to $4000 off MSRP plus $3000 for your clunker. That $3000 went straight in to the dealers pocket, not the consumer.

That last Cash for Clunkers took a ton of XJ jeep cherokees off the roads. I love the XJ's.
this new one will put even more of them in the recycle bin. Not so much for a collector vehicle but for a daily driver to a weekend warrior 4x4. Jeeps are great and the CfC will hurt their numbers.

Maybe those car companies would sell more if they didn't have work trucks that cost 80K. And half ton trucks that cost 50K. Their prices are ridiculous.

Let me see if I have this correctly? They will give me 5K for my perfectly reliable, well maintained, 26 year old vehicle, then I have to go out and spend God knows how much on a unknown condition replacement vehicle that may be a bigger headache then the one I turned in? I don't see how that's good for anyone except the dealers, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!

awh come on. Doesn't 5K worth of trade in sound worth it to get 45K worth of a new truck. They have heated seats and blue tooth. Isn't debt the American dream?

awh come on. Doesn't 5K worth of trade in sound worth it to get 45K worth of a new truck. They have heated seats and blue tooth. Isn't debt the American dream?
I don't need that, I'm looking to buy a homestead instead! Everything I own has been bought and paid for for the last 20 years, and I intend to keep it that way!!

The American economy definitely depends on money flowing around, constantly changing hands. Interrupt that on a widespread scale and there's a big thing to deal with.

Couple that with lots of consumer debt, too many people that live hand-to-mouth, and too many people working in non-essential service industries - and it's a disaster unless we get *real* lucky real quick.

Even people that manage their finances well, live a conservative lifestyle, and prepare for a rainy day are likely to sustain some damage from this one. And that's perhaps the saddest part.

Even people that manage their finances well, live a conservative lifestyle, and prepare for a rainy day are likely to sustain some damage from this one. And that's perhaps the saddest part.

I've lived through enough **** the last 5 years to last me a lifetime! I don't know how much worse it could get for me? I just see myself getting stronger everyday.

No way.

1. I have too much sweat in maintaining my cars.
2. I like not having a car payment.

That's where I'm at. When I do buy, I only buy 5-10 year old vehicles that appear to have been babied.

I hated the original CFC.

save you money to get some of the "collector" cars that will be cashed in.....

Get Ready for Mega Cash for Clunkers, Morgan Stanley’s Adam Jonas Says

Adam Jonas covers the auto industry for Morgan Stanley. Barron’s spoke with Jonas recently about how the car industry can survive the shutdown, and how it might be left changed. His edited comments follow.

View attachment 369870
–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

On differences between this downturn and the 2008 global financial crisis:
The global financial crisis, or at least the stimulus to alleviate it, happened after the election, whereas this one is leading up to an election. That’s not a subtle difference. The other thing is that the machinery of stimulus had been primed in the not-too-distant past. So the ability to move much faster and pre-emptively in some cases is more apparent this time than in 2008 to 2009. And of course, we were still selling cars [in 2008 and 2009] even though demand fell. The factories were still running and we didn’t have the complete weight of the fixed costs burden with virtually no production.

View attachment 369871Crisis Hits the Car Business, Again
Ford CEO Jim Hackett and Wall Street analysts discuss how the pandemic will change the car industry.

00:00 / 21:12
SUBSCRIBE
On a mega cash for clunkers program:
We don’t think the [car makers] are going to fail the way some did back in 2008 and 2009. But the industry is going to need support. We expect a cash for clunkers program to be much larger in scope and longer in duration than what we saw. In 2008 and 2009, we saw a $3 billion package that stimulated about $14 billion of purchases. This time around we’re expecting about $10 billion of stimulus that drives $50 billion of purchases and adds about four million of SAAR [seasonally adjusted annualized rate, a measure of car purchases] over a six-month period beginning in the fall and then into early 2021.

We think that’s going to happen because without the stimulus, our best guess is that the consumer is only going to support an 11 million to 12 million SAAR, or 25% to 30% below where the industry was producing before the crisis. We’re reminding investors of the importance of the U.S. auto industry to manufacturing and jobs, particularly in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Texas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi and Alabama. These are really important swing states, certainly this year. The idea is to keep factories moving and support three or four million jobs, and indirectly, 15 million jobs.

Read more: How the Pandemic Will Change the Car Business

On how the program might work:
These are numbers more for discussion: a $5,000 coupon to scrap a car subject to a variety of criteria, including U.S. local content percentages, call it 60% U.S. content. So there’s an American domestic angle that will of course include Japanese and Korean cars produced in the U.S. There may be some household income limitations and then limitations on the kind of vehicle you can scrap, and then how much you can buy. It might have a $60,000 maximum price limitation. It’s going to be designed, we think, to support lower and middle income classes to get bipartisan support.

Also, there will be a fuel economy and a sustainability angle to it. The fuel economy of the car bought, we suspect, will be 50% better than the fuel economy of the car scrapped. By getting rid of those old clunkers, you’re getting rid of the least efficient cars on the road, too. And then there’s a safety element to it—some level of minimum driving assistance technology—so the car you’re scrapping versus the car you’re buying has a lifesaving element to it, which would get some support.

When we run the math on that, you get some interesting paybacks because you’re stimulating factories. You’re creating sales tax for states that are in pretty dire straits. You’re creating registration fees while saving fuel and lives and insurance. That’s kind of how the pitch will be.

On electric vehicles, including Tesla:
Before the crisis, we were underweight Tesla (ticker: TSLA). Then we went to equal weight. We think that Tesla’s relative lead on electric vehicles might actually be improved coming out of the downturn, as other companies pare back on what they see as nonessential spending. Though longer-term, we’ll look back on the crisis as a blip in electric vehicle adoption. Tesla over time will face a lot more competition.

On changes to the car business after the pandemic:
We came up with a list: less commuting, less car rental, younger cars, fewer dealers, more digital and touchless service. Restructured supply chains to reduce geographic dependence. Possibly less ride-sharing. You know, the whole concept of hygiene and who the prior rider was in a ride-sharing or pooling operation, or in a car rental operation, or even in the used car business, might take on an elevated importance for some time to come.

When you think about car dealers, there are so many unpleasantries about the experience from the consumer side. That’s even if you feel that you were getting a fair price. It’s just got to change. It might be wishful thinking, but I’m kind of hopeful that one of the silver linings here is that this could accelerate a better experience. The things that a well-capitalized, publicly traded car dealer can do, the average mom and pop car dealer may not be able to or willing to do. So it’s possible that you might have fewer dealers over time, but also a better experience for car buyers.

Read more: Ford’s CEO Says Its Cars Will Be Built to Kill Viruses
I always thought that the crash of 2008 happened in late August/September.
Not after an election...

Why would it crash before the Dick took office, or election for that matter? That's like putting the cart before the horse!
He was commenting on the original poster's section titled "On differences between this downturn and the 2008 global financial crisis:". Go back and read that and maybe it will answer your question. :)

The Great Recession did start near the end of W's second term. I recall W provided bailout funds to the big-3 to at least get them through until Obama took office, to ensure they wouldn't fail in the meantime. He left it up to Obama to decide on a longer-term course of action after that.

CFC was a sham played on the American tax payer sold off as an envrio friendly solution to the downed market.
That is fraud and would be more true today. Cars have had comprehensive emissions controls for 30 years now.
Most big metro areas require testing to get new tags. Some places yearly. Mpg's have not improved in 20 years.
Several states have acknowledged that their DEQ program creates more emission than they take off the road. They would literally do the environment a positive by eliminating the department.

As far as economic impact to car dealers. We regulate by boom and bust in this nation. The boom market combined with inflation has sent prices and volume to the sky. That model has to be scalable.
When craigslist is littered with used trucks from 50-$75k its tIme to say WTF?
People on this site will bicker about every six thousand dollar C body. $4500 tops!
Yea, jump up on that craigs and search all cars and filter by 6k and below. Blech. The only cars on there you could give me to actually drive would be over 40 years old.

The interval that new car buyers replace their car is ridiculous. I don't understand what drives people to do that. I have read many times that motor company line manager and above employees are expected to buy a new car every other year. I dont know if that has influence in the market but I would not be interested in being leveraged like that.
How about. I'm a damn manager, why don't you replace my car every two years!

If we have fund yet another plan like that. Rather than singling out cars we should look at what has the most return on the investment. And if it looks protectionist thats ok. We are funding this to improve our conditions.
That should be every nations outlook.

Demand for cars and trucks in the U.S. is expected to drop 27% to 12.5 million vehicles this year, according to Bloomberg. Recall, we wrote just yesterday that Edmunds shared those sentiments: April is slated to be the worst month on record for U.S. auto sales.

Edmunds forecasts that just 633,260 new cars and trucks will be sold in the U.S. for an estimated seasonally adjusted annual rate (SAAR) of 7.7 million. This reflects a 52.5% decrease in sales from April 2019, and a 36.6% decrease from March 2020.
SUVs Are Being Parked In The Middle Of The Ocean As Auto Inventory Crisis Deepens

Back