Ashtrays

Fishfan

Reaction score
After 13 years owning my 1966 Polara I noticed something new. The car has four ashtrays. Two in the dash (one driver's side and the other on passenger side). And two in the armrests of the front seat. There are no ashtrays in the rear seat. I thought this was curious and began to wonder if my front seat armrests belong in the back and vice versa. Maybe at some point a previous owner did work to the car and when it was re-assembled it was done incorrectly? Anyone with a mid 60s C-Body care to comment on the configuration of the armrests?

The 65 Monaco has no ashtrays in any armrests. Rear ashtray is in the extended console.

My '61 fury has 2 ashtrays but neither will be used because, there will be no smoking allowed in my Forward Look and I do not care if this person is dying for 1 The lighter plug will be used for gps or cell phone charger

My '61 fury has 2 ashtrays but neither will be used because, there will be no smoking allowed in my Forward Look and I do not care if this person is dying for 1 The lighter plug will be used for gps or cell phone charger

we're all happy for you. :rolleyes:

After 13 years owning my 1966 Polara I noticed something new. The car has four ashtrays. Two in the dash (one driver's side and the other on passenger side). And two in the armrests of the front seat. There are no ashtrays in the rear seat. I thought this was curious and began to wonder if my front seat armrests belong in the back and vice versa. Maybe at some point a previous owner did work to the car and when it was re-assembled it was done incorrectly? Anyone with a mid 60s C-Body care to comment on the configuration of the armrests?
A previous owner must have not wanted to reach so far for the closest ashtray on the dash, so he switched the front and rears.

My 68 300 has 5 ashtrays! And 2 lighters. 2 ashtrays in the dash drawer wth a lighter. 1 ashtray in the driver armrest and 1 in each of the rear arm rests with a lighter located at the rear bottom of the front center arm rest. I wonder if you got a coupon for cigarettes when you bought the car new.

I have a question about the lighter in the back of the console. Was that available in the Polara in 66? I would assume it was available in a Monaco.

Last edited:
we're all happy for you. :rolleyes:
Thanks I will admit I never smoked and I never plan to its a nasty habit and it stinks. I even know of some one who did not allow smoking in her car. She told me her cousin lit 1 up to be a smart *** . She pulled the car over told him to get his *** on the pavement and he ended up walking a mile home. She told her mama and she told her that she did the right thing your car your rules.
The only thing you will smell in my '61 fury is air fresheners

My 68 300 has 5 ashtrays! And 2 lighters. 2 ashtrays in the dash drawer wth a lighter. 1 ashtray in the driver armrest and 1 in each of the rear arm rests with a lighter located at the rear bottom of the front center arm rest. I wonder if you got a coupon for cigarettes when you bought the car new.
I wasn't smoking at the time, but I don't think you needed coupons to buy cigarettes in 68... I bet they cost about a quarter then.

I will admit that with my updated interior, even I'm hesitant to smoke a stogie while out on a cruise. With the old worn interior I didn't care, but the newer seats don't have any flaws, and I don't want them too either.

I have 10-year old twins, each with a pack-a-day habit, so ashtray placement is important to me. :rofl:

Back