SOLD Attn: audiophiles. Marantz 2238B

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
DSC05667.JPG

I know there are some serious audiophiles on the site so y'all get first crack before it goes to eBay.
A vintage Marantz 2238B receiver. I bought this receiver new in the 70's and am the only owner. I bought the optional wood case at the same time. It has never been opened or serviced, never out of the case and still has the original plastic face protector. Has been in climate controlled storage since the mid 80's. Looks like I'll never have use for it so time to sell. It comes with the original operator manual.

I'll take $550.00 for it. Shipping will be around $50.00 depending on your location.

Marantz 2230 | Classic Receivers

DSC05669.JPG
DSC05670.JPG
DSC05672.JPG
DSC05673.JPG
DSC05674.JPG
DSC05675.JPG

Gorgeous piece there. Have you run it lately? Caps can go on these old vintage electronics. If you haven't already I would do some research about selling on ebay. I see many selling electronics classified as " parts only" but then state it works correctly ,that way no returns. I have heard many will buy a piece and actually take parts out of it and replace with bad parts ,then declare it is faulty and return it to you. There are HiFi places that buy and sell vintage equipement too.
Good luck with your sale.

Looks nice, and it's hard to question the pedigree. Bonus(es) here are the plastic protector, REAL wood case, and original documents. Wish I had known of this last fall. I had been looking for a good Marantz, but decided to have my Kenwood overhauled instead at a price that has me happy with, but underwater on, so I'm too far along now........ I imagine people on eBay pull all kinds of tricks, so I'd try some other places to list it first.

I like it. I own a Pioneer SX1010 of the same era and puts out 100 watts per channel. I have seen my model advertised up to $1200.

Very nice!! Those Marantz units are definitely coveted! Good luck with the sale.

I just had my 1963 vintage Fisher 800C (known as The Fisher) restored. All tubes, transformers, weighs around 60 pounds, and generates an enormous amount of heat, but sounds fabulous doing it. Similar power output to your Marantz. I have all the manuals etc for it as well. It was considered one of the best for its day back then, and cost a pretty penny - I remember working it out in today's dollars as something around $4000.00 in today's money. Serious dough...

I use it in my listening studio as a secondary reference amp for mixing etc.

In my entertainment room I still use my vintage 1984 JVC system...

Here's a pic of The Fisher
FISHER DIAL with LEDs and BAFFLES.jpg

Here's a pic of my JVC system... two turntables (vintage Garrard 4HF for 78s and transcription discs and a DUAL 6000 for high end vinyl), and all matched/connected JVC receiver, cd player and 3 head cassette machine. The white unit at the bottom is a CD recorder once owned by my friend Jeff Healey.
20191120_183725.jpg

Last edited:
Nice stuff there guys. I got a few things on my shelf that I haven't used in many years. I should consider selling at some time . I have a Pioneer SX-838 which is nice but man that that SX-1010 must real nice. I have some Tandberg,Sherwoods,Pioneer,JVC Japan,Mcintosh stuffI never use anymore.

I just had my 1963 vintage Fisher 800C (known as The Fisher) restored. All tubes, transformers, weighs around 60 pounds, and generates and enormous amount of heat, but sounds fabulous doing it. Similar power output to your Marantz.

I love the old Fisher's!

Good advise about ebay. I wouldn't feel comfortable listing it there.
I haven't had this receiver operating since the late 80's. It's been stored in plastic garbage bags and in a climate controlled environment. I don't even have any decent speakers anymore. Can't keep this stuff forever.

A fine piece like that in such good shape is like selling your special car. You want to be sure it goes to a good home.

One of my serious audiophile friends owns a couple of those amps, they sound amazing and weigh a ton. He told me that at the time, the Japanese were trying to out do eachother in the high end receivers. Apparently, they cost more to build than what they originally sold for.

Very nice. There is nothing like old school audio. I have a Marantz 2216 that I found at a garage sale quite a few years ago. It still sounds amazing and all of the dial lights still work. Good luck with the sale. I hope it finds a good home.

Very nice!! Those Marantz units are definitely coveted! Good luck with the sale.

I just had my 1963 vintage Fisher 800C (known as The Fisher) restored. All tubes, transformers, weighs around 60 pounds, and generates an enormous amount of heat, but sounds fabulous doing it. Similar power output to your Marantz. I have all the manuals etc for it as well. It was considered one of the best for its day back then, and cost a pretty penny - I remember working it out in today's dollars as something around $4000.00 in today's money. Serious dough...

I use it in my listening studio as a secondary reference amp for mixing etc.

In my entertainment room I still use my vintage 1984 JVC system...

Here's a pic of The Fisher
View attachment 367500

Here's a pic of my JVC system... two turntables (vintage Garrard 4HF for 78s and transcription discs and a DUAL 6000 for high end vinyl), and all matched/connected JVC receiver, cd player and 3 head cassette machine. The white unit at the bottom is a CD recorder once owned by my friend Jeff Healey.
View attachment 367504
What model is the JVC? Looks a lot like my RX500B.

My receiver is a JVC RX550BLK, CD player is a JVC XLV-250, cassette unit is JVC TD-V711. All part of the "Compu-Link" series and their "DigiFine" lineup.

A fine piece like that in such good shape is like selling your special car. You want to be sure it goes to a good home.

I've looked at it at times and considered selling throughout the years but dismissed the thought. At this point I likely won't ever use it. It should be enjoyed by someone who will appreciate it.

I've got a Sansui 9090 (paid $10 for it at an estate sale) hooked up to a Dual 1219 turntable (my Dad bought it in the 70s, still works great) and a set of JBL L-100 Century Speakers (another garage sale score). Great for spinning some vinyl. Looking at a set of Altec Model 19s next...

I still have my Soundcraftsman MA5002A Power Amp from 1980. Still a powerhouse at a 1000 watts a channel. I still have an SAE Preamp/equalizer to complete the set. I had a pair of Klipsch Klipschorns back in the day. Some sweet Pink Floyd sounds back then! The PX in Europe rocks!!!

Screenshot_20200411-070317_eBay.jpg

I would love to have this but I too am likely to not use it.

Will, that's a cool piece!

This is my sound system now.
7.2 system is great for TV, music, and anything with noise these days.

20200411_085205.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back