Attn Moroso Valve Cover Owners!! 911 -- Please Read!

CudaChick1968

Leanna ~ The Mistress of Metal
FCBO Vendor
Reaction score
While doing my initial inspection on a pair of big block Moroso gold valve covers this evening ...

attachment.php

I was shocked to turn them upside down and see this.

attachment.php

Yep, little flaps of metal on the inside that weren't fully cut away when it was stamped!!!

They were pointing down (toward the top of the valve cover) when I saw them. I lifted them up for better pictures and to take them off.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Especially since these valve covers were designed for race applications, this is disturbing to say the least. Since it was on BOTH of them in exactly the same spot too, that leads me to believe these aren't the only ones out there with this defect. I'm betting every one that was stamped that day / week / month looks just like it until the dies were corrected or changed.

If you own a pair of these valve covers, I'd pull them off and have a look.

The little tab will just come off with a few bends back and forth, which is a good thing when you go to remove it ... but it could also be a terrible thing if it falls off on its own the next time you're adding a quart of oil.

Beware FCBO members! Share this with your friends if they happen to have a pair of these under the hood.​

Thanks :D ... always happy to help if I can. This hobby is expensive enough as it is without having to rebuild your engine over some stupid defect.

Yeah, thanks for the heads up.
I don't know when those covers were made, but it does seem these days that even the better brands aren't as good as they used to be.

Off the top of my head I can't remember the paint code, possibly JG4, I just don't know. I think it was called Amber Sherwood, but the car was repainted once in a slightly more yellow tint. It's a kind of light/bright green. That's it in my avatar pic.
Car has a dark green vinyl top and interior. :)

Last edited:
This hobby is expensive enough as it is without having to rebuild your engine over some stupid defect.

Thats the price you pay for buying the cheap imported stuff.

The buyers are now the Quality Control Department for even the biggest names in industry.
Even Edelbrock is only up a step or two from 440 Source.

The buyers are now the Quality Control Department for even the biggest names in industry.
Even Edelbrock is only up a step or two from 440 Source.

Agreed, its pretty sad really. Even a set of edelbrock heads new out of the box takes quite a bit of machine work to make them right.

Most colleges with an Engineering School no longer offer an Engineering Degree in QA/QC.
Used to be a staple. Now it's a Semester.
Like Architectual, Mechanical, and Electrical.

As I've mentioned more than once, I was an enthusiast and a restorer myself LONG before I was a business owner. Protecting you and your parts is a big part of my job now and I take it very seriously. If no one else inspects them, you can be guaranteed that I WILL.

Oh, Rick Moroso (a 'friend' on FaceBook) posted this on my FABO thread:

"Leanna,

First off, I have no excuse for the little tab. The tool must have had a nick and some got done like that and we missed them. Although we try hard to be perfect, we are not.

However, We have not gold anodized valve covers since 2008. That means these are at least five years old, and look like they have served their previous owners well. They look like they have had a fairly hard life, but are still good enough for you to be replating.

We do not have any valve covers in stock that have this issue. And I guarantee there are no new sets in the field that do either.

I am glad you caught it and it won’t be a future issue for your customer.

Lastly, since we are “friends” on facebook, and facebook is how you let me know about it, it would have been polite to just send me a private message or email before you posted this on “every Mopar page I’m on”. I could have assured you this is not an existing or ongoing issue.

If you would, please let me know what other forums you have posted on so I may respond to those also.

Your “friend”

Rick Moroso"

Quality is going out the window in most large corporations. There biggest concern is " safety" because of the cost of insurance. And don't get me started on the quality of the new work force. I've been working for a major airline manufacturing plant plant for 27 years, the veterans retire and we are stuck with young kids that don't give a crap. Off my soapbox.

Next time I'm up in Cleveland and back hauling welfare wire out of charter steel I will ride by Ohio crankshaft and snap a picture of the trailer or should I say container yard and you can count the number of emptys, cause I run out of fingers and toes.

Back