Australian Buys New Yorker from Murray Park and ships it.

I'm really glad to see this car has found a good home. I've been concerned for years that Murray may had decided to use it for parts, or that it was just sitting out in the weather, rotting away.

If I had known at the time about Murray's fondness for '67 New Yorkers, I would have acted quicker and the car would have been in my collection for the past 15 years instead of sitting in a chicken coop. The asking price for the car at Carlisle was only $1250, so I've felt like a dumb-*** for years not jumping on it quicker. Back then, it was a car that no one would have wanted because of the dented fender and I didn't feel that there was any rush to make a quick deal on Friday. I didn't count on Murray scooping it up first thing Saturday morning.

I still have two 67's, but it would have been nice to have one that was rust free. I probably would have sold my black one, since it's pretty rough. Oh well. It's nice to see this one finally being enjoyed.

Jeff

Watching that video, I couldn't help but smile as Fletch talked about the car. A few "happy tears", too.

Thanks for posting,
CBODY67

Wonder how many calls he's gonna get now about the 71 monaco?

I was thinking that too. Along with some of the other cars as they ran the camera down the line of cars in the coop.

Can't be too many bright red '71 Monaco 4dr hardtops out there these days, or ever for that matter.

Jeff

I was thinking that too. Along with some of the other cars as they ran the camera down the line of cars in the coop.

Can't be too many bright red '71 Monaco 4dr hardtops out there these days, or ever for that matter.

Jeff

I actually brought Murray's number up and thought better of it.
I just cant

How inspiring!

But did that model year of New Yorker not have a headrest on the driver's side? Or was that a missing part?

The reclining seat required a headrest. That's why you see so many of these cars with only a passenger headrest. Seems silly not to just spend the extra few bucks so the seats match.

The rh headrest was needed so that one's head didn't dangle over the top of the seat back when it was reclined. Unlike newer recliners which just pivot at the base of the seat back, those earlier recliners moved in an arc, which made them more comfortable when reclined. In later years, head rests were a safety/anti-whiplash item.

CBODY67

The build quality of 1960s cars was so much better than 1970s cars, and I would prefer them. But 1960s cars, without the headrest to prevent whiplash, scare me. There were a lot of neck injuries in that era due to lack of head support.

Some late 1960s cars had head restraints on both driver's and passenger's side. Was there any rhyme or reason to which did? Was it only on luxury cars?

I have heard that the passenger side was not for safety but for comfort. And they didn't want the driver to get that comfortable while driving so no headrest for him. Maybe true, maybe an urban legend. I'm not sure.

The build quality of 1960s cars was so much better than 1970s cars, and I would prefer them. But 1960s cars, without the headrest to prevent whiplash, scare me. There were a lot of neck injuries in that era due to lack of head support.

Some late 1960s cars had head restraints on both driver's and passenger's side. Was there any rhyme or reason to which did? Was it only on luxury cars?

Headrests were optional on most cars by the mid 60's. They were fairly cheap, but rarely ordered.

Federal regulations required head rests on all new cars starting January 1st, 1969.

Jeff

I have seen them before with one headrest, on the passenger side. My '67 New Yorker actually DOES have both, guess I should count myself lucky in that regard...…….

InteriorREARatDash.png

View attachment 433754

I have seen them before with one headrest, on the passenger side. My '67 New Yorker actually DOES have both, guess I should count myself lucky in that regard...…….

Your New Yorker is a bit of an odd bird. It's almost fully loaded, which is unusual for a sedan. I'd just about guarantee that it was a customer ordered car. The original owner may have been very safety conscious. The sedan roof is much stronger than the hardtop, and one could make an argument that the deep center standard steering wheel is safer than the flat tilt/telescopic, which is one of the few options not present. You could also consider the Twilight Sentinel a bit of a safety item too.

Jeff

Wonder how many calls he's gonna get now about the 71 monaco?

I was thinking that too. (...) Can't be too many bright red '71 Monaco 4dr hardtops out there these days, or ever for that matter.

The...WHAT

Thanks to Wyatt for the heads up, after I told him that I’d just seen a red 1971 Polara in a Mannix episode.

Couple of stills from the video at Murray’s:
8EC83A7E-D53B-4DA6-905A-845C85DD6256.png

E0960BA7-ECD4-4C58-9B9A-3A49FFB7413E.png

And now a still of the 1971 GE5 Polara 4dr hardtop in Cry Pigeon. It has but a minor supporting role and appears for just a few seconds in the 19th episode from season 5 in Mannix—but what a car!
upload_2021-2-2_21-53-56.jpeg

And, from the shape of the seats, I’d say this is a Brougham :wideyed:

Last edited:
Back