Auto temp II not working properly

7071 chally

Reaction score
Ok guys. A guy I know has a 1972 New Yorker with Auto temp II. He had the car restored by a shop. Car has been completely apart and is now back together. The owner of the car asked me to bring back to life the A/C system. I've spent a bit of time on it and I have to say that the system is now charged and working. But I have problems with the controls. The servo is new (what the owner said) and I opened it and it appears to be true. I can't get vacuum at the master switch, so I jumped it to have the blower running and charge the system. I do have vacuum at the compressor switch. I only have two speed on the blower (book said we can get up to five speed). I can have air at the defrost when required and at the vents when required but never at the feet. Spinning the degree wheel doesn't seem to make any change has it stays in A/C all the time. I have doubts on a couple of things, like the controller (degree wheel and vacumm push button switch). I also have doubts on the amplifier but I don't know how to check it...Or maybe there's something wrong with the vacuum lines or check valves? So, that's about where I am. Any ideas? Thanks!

Try calling George Murphy at Performance Analysis company in TN (Phone/Fax 865-482-9175) - he has experience in these units and should be able to advise you how to proceed- after which everyone with faulty ATC units will beat a path to your door.

Lol

Fellow forum member 73 T&C (Javier) has a 78 New Yorker and though it's a later system than yours may be able to advise, as he recently sorted his system out.

If I recall correctly the two main components and also commonly failed parts are the amplifier and servo.

Best wishes with your repairs.

These systems also had a tendency to have a lot of small vacuum leaks, any one of which was pretty much insignificant by itself. A bunch of them together often would disable the controls due to a lack of suitable vacuum volume. If some of the settings work and some do not, I would investigate leaks in the main control switch and the various vacuum motors on the parts that do not function. There used to be a diagnostic apparatus to test the various functions and controls but that system went obsolete 20-25 years ago and that makes an analysis of the system very difficult.

Dave

Definitely George Murphy at Performance Analysis can help you immensely. Commando1 has the tester if you want to take the factory approach.

Back