Axle spline damage

Carl K

Reaction score
Can I go ahead and put this axle back in? My car has the stock 413- not a performance engine. I didn't find the missing part in the banjo when the diff was out, but I haven't looked in the axle tubes yet.

axles05.JPG

One axle bearing looked good but the other axle bearing showed signs of rust and didn't run so freely. Tomorrow they go to Winchester Auto for bearing replacement.

axles02.JPG

I did get the 3.23 Sure Grip in today.

axles03.JPG

thanks in advance for your opinions!
Carl

Last edited:
Can I go ahead and put this axle back in? My car has the stock 413- not a performance engine. I didn't find the missing part in the banjo when the diff was out, but I haven't looked in the axle tubes yet.

View attachment 74594

l wouldn't...that spline will continue to break down and once it dose it will start to work on the next spine...metal filling pieces may travel into rest of rear differential

IMHO, if you can easily find another axle, this is the time to replace it. If you can't, and it easily slides in and out, there's no reason that you can't use it.

The damage shown is from it being chipped by being knocked or banged against something when it was out of the housing. That means it could have been done at any time... Including back when it was built.

IMHO, if you can easily find another axle, this is the time to replace it. If you can't, and it easily slides in and out, there's no reason that you can't use it.

The damage shown is from it being chipped by being knocked or banged against something when it was out of the housing. That means it could have been done at any time... Including back when it was built.

x2

I put the axle back in- mostly because I didn't have any other axles to choose from and needed it buttoned up and back on the road. It seems to be working fine.

Thanks for your opinions.

Back