B5 Blue Owners -- Your Input is Requested!

CudaChick1968

Leanna ~ The Mistress of Metal
FCBO Vendor
Reaction score
Over the years I've had many, many requests for powder coating work in B5 Blue. I could never convince any of those people to provide me with a color sample to work with though so my hands were pretty much tied in being able to come up with any kind of suitable match.

Even though he has other plans in mind for his own car, FABO member VOETOM volunteered to help out and has gallantly stepped up to the plate on behalf of B5 owners everywhere!!

He sent me a paint sample which I forwarded to my powder supplier in Oregon, paid for the two powders that comprised the formulation, and then shipped me a nice 14" steel rim to try them out on. I got it finished up the night before last and snagged some pictures of it out in the sun yesterday.

I'll be shipping his wheel back early next week so he can mount it on the car and compare it with his paint job in person, but in the meantime he asked me to share it with the Mopar World for opinions and input.

It's my understanding (thanks to beloved restorer Kori Alexander of Show and Go Resto) there is more than one B5 Blue depending on the application year and paint manufacturer ... but if I can get close to one of them I'll have finally accomplished a major goal I've had for a long time.

Though monitor settings can have a big impact on how a color truly looks, I'd love to hear what ya'll think of these preliminary results on this long sought after potential B5 color match. I've been experimenting foryears and this one finally looks pretty good to me ... but I'm not the one who has to be happy with it. YOU ARE.

The first few pictures were taken outdoors in the sun at 12:15 p.m. Central time and the last one on the brown paper was inside under the shop lights. Some of my usual 2- and 3-inch close ups are probably TOO close to be much help here, but you can at least get an idea of the serious metallic content.

Thank you all in advance for your opinions and input!! I'll be posting this thread on the sister sites (and anywhere else I can think of lol) so don't be shy if you have a thought or a pic of your own car to share and compare.
icon_biggrin.gif
Thank you FCBO, and a bigggggggg Thank You with a full blown Dating Game kiss goes out to VOETOM muahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

114 - Copy.jpg115 - Copy.jpg116 - Copy.jpg120 - Copy.jpg124 - Copy.jpg126 - Copy.jpg129 - Copy.jpg

114 - Copy.jpg

115 - Copy.jpg

116 - Copy.jpg

120 - Copy.jpg

124 - Copy.jpg

126 - Copy.jpg

129 - Copy.jpg

the wheel looks nice kinda looks too blue but computer monitors and all. I am planning on painting fenders on my peterbilt b-5, red now with blue int WTF were they thinking, I would put that color on them. You wouldn't happen to have a-4 silver???? thanks

the wheel looks nice kinda looks too blue but computer monitors and all. I am planning on painting fenders on my peterbilt b-5, red now with blue int WTF were they thinking, I would put that color on them. You wouldn't happen to have a-4 silver???? thanks

Thanks 70bbd!!! LOL @ the red paint job with a blue interior (heyyyy, I do custom powder work and you wouldn't believe what some people like LOL).

As far as your A-4 Silver goes, my powder supplier has over 6,500 colors, textures and finishes available, and I've got probably a dozen different silvers in stock. If you can get me a little paint sample -- a body plug with overspray on it, a non-essential bracket, or even a piece of your paint can label where a drip ran down the side -- I can send it off and see what I can come up with. It won't cost you anything except the postage to send me the sample, and I'll cover its return home to you with whatever swatches my supplier sends in response.

Thanks for checking it out! I appreciate your time and comments. :D

I have been restoring quite a few B-5 blue cars lately and can tell you between exterior and interior colors I've been pulling my hair out trying to get the right color. That being said the wheel in your pictures looks more like the 71 B-5 blue. The 70 B-5 is a greener looking blue. Of course on a monitor it might look different but that's what it looks like.

Sounds like you can line up several ORIGINAL B5 cars next to each other and they possibly all won't be the same color.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/archive/index.php/t-127690.html

Very true. Don't know how it is specifically with these Mopar colors, but over here you have paintjobs from the factory where 2-3 variants are shown on color chips, sometimes more than one supplier to the factory that also had slightly different ingredients. Said to be even worse with today's cars I heard from some body shop workers.

Okay, thanks for the clarification polara. I'm shipping my Test Mule Rim home to its owner on Monday right across the border in Missouri so I should have more solid comparison info within the next few days. Every bit of input is appreciated!

I see a hint of LL1 turquoise from '68 in a couple of those pics but it might be my screen. I do like the color for what it's worth....

Okay, thanks for the clarification polara. I'm shipping my Test Mule Rim home to its owner on Monday right across the border in Missouri so I should have more solid comparison info within the next few days. Every bit of input is appreciated!

Keep us posted, I am curious how you made out. I hope it is dead on......:icon_winkle:

Guys, I REALLY appreciate all the input, research, photos and comments here ... it's precisely what I was hoping for when I wrote my post and you've all gone above and beyond the call to help me out. Keep 'em coming!!! There is no bad information here and all of it will be useful toward a positive end result.

Now that I've got what appears to be a decent "Base B5" (at least judging from the preliminary responses anyway lol), I can tailor that base in-house to hopefully create all the little variations of B5 to match each customer's particular version.

I may end up doing a whole bunch of test panels in my "Base B5" for circulation to a few owners for further comparison purposes -- if you're interested in receiving one,
shoot me an email with B5 in the subject line and I'll add your name and address to the list. Thanks again everyone!!!
icon_pray.gif

Looks great girlfriend, congrats!

Thank you Polara71! What a class act ... :D I'm honored to have your help and commentary. This color match has been in the works for a long time and I'm very jazzed after seeing it on Tom's car and next to his 20-year old original lacquer paint job. Other year / paint manufacturer variations should be fairly simple from here on out.

Back