Back up light harness grommets?

swisherred

Reaction score
Anyone know where to find the grommets that the backup light harness runs through in the rear trunk wall for 67 newport?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and not give you my failure to do your own web search meme, as I came up totally empty myself. You may just have to grab that grommet and go to Napa and see what they have that's compatible. I know of no other alternative. Good Luck

Is there anything wrong with it?

Alan
I have two...one on each side and both are so old they shrank enough to fall through the body hole and wont stay in. This leads right to outside. My taillight wires run through them to cross over to the right side.

Snap a picture when looking at it. It will help us visualize and come up with an alternative or if is used somewhere else.
If I recall the tail harness routing were different from 67 -68, so I may not be much help.

They're a smaller version of the big cone-shaped grommet (I think of them as a plug) that the power window wires come through in the firewalls of our Cs when exiting the dash. Very thick robust rubber, with the wires encapsulated in the grommet. To service the wires within the grommet one has to slice the grommet, which kinda defeats the purpose of the grommet. They look like this (B body PW harness body grommet stolen from an eBay ad), and you can see it was sliced.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Wow yes that would be difficult to attach a new one without cutting or without taking all the connectors off and threading through.

The actual grommet looks to be in shape. What is bothering reasoning for replacing? If it is because you are redoing or changing the wires in the harness then re thread it before putting the ends back on. If you just want to clean it up I found the best is almost straight ammonia which is supposed to soften the rubber back up. And then to make it look like new. Spray it with Eastwood PRE. (Wax and grease remover) and really wipe it down. It makes it look like new.
Here is a picture of my 50 year old original radiator overflow hose. It looks new.
F9755E87-6969-4DA7-A346-FAA343B08A4E.jpeg

Its 50 yrs old....Its supposed to seal the hole that it's sitting in...it falls right through it...that's why I want to replace it.

Its 50 yrs old....Its supposed to seal the hole that it's sitting in...it falls right through it...that's why I want to replace it.
I'm lost here, so what's the issue? It falls through the hole, OK fine. You'll have to track that wire back towards the front as I'm sure there's a connector from the front harness to the rear. Probably under the carpet. I bet ya dollars to donuts the hole in that grommet would fit over that connection. Good Luck

Having renewed several wiring harnesses recently, I can tell you that the wires are very very difficult to thread back through those grommets, by design. Not only are they supposed to seal to the opening in the body, but to the wire and whatever sheathing they have as well. Even if a suitable replacement was found, one would likely be wrecking the very brittle webbing-wrap that is shown in his photo getting the old one off, as the grommet goes right over it. Ditto for any other wrap on the wires.

If I were in your situation, I would see if I could use some sort of adhesive sealant to hold the grommets in place.

Did one better....junkyard had a full harness in good shape with grommets I had to knock out with a mallet...took that when I got my trunk pan today.

Back