Back-up light switch installation help needed

baker53

Reaction score
My '57 Desoto Firesweep did not come with the optional back-up light switch in the transmission push-button shifter. I bought what I think is the correct switch, MOPAR p/n 1704 234, but I can't figure out how to mount it on the push-button body. The hole where the 2 pronged lever goes through is too small. I am presuming the lever has to be bent at a right angle so that the Reverse push-button will activate it. If anyone has a closeup picture of the push-button switch with the back-up light switch installed, I sure would appreciate seeing it. I attached a picture of my switch and push-button assembly.

desoto work 181.jpg

desoto work 181.jpg

I received a picture and now see that I am missing a tab that is attached to the Reverse blade. I will make up a tab and epoxy it to the Reverse blade and that will actuate the back-up light switch.

In case anyone needs the info, here are some pictures of the tab I made and epoxied to the Reverse blade.

desoto work 185.jpgdesoto work 182.jpgdesoto work 183.jpgdesoto work 184.jpg

desoto work 185.jpg

desoto work 182.jpg

desoto work 183.jpg

desoto work 184.jpg

Back-up lights are working great. The metal tab that I epoxied onto the Reverse blade works like a champ. I also replaced the rubber bumpers inside the shifter while I had it out plus dabbed some lubriplate on the sliding parts.. The wiring for the back-up lights was in place and just had to connect the two wires from the switch and install a couple sockets and bulbs in the trunk to the existing wire harness.

Back-up lights are working great. The metal tab that I epoxied onto the Reverse blade works like a champ. I also replaced the rubber bumpers inside the shifter while I had it out plus dabbed some lubriplate on the sliding parts.. The wiring for the back-up lights was in place and just had to connect the two wires from the switch and install a couple sockets and bulbs in the trunk to the existing wire harness.

Great tutorial. Wasn't it nice of Chrysler to do all of the hard work of installing backup lights by running the wiring harness whether the car was getting b/u lights or not? I wonder if you go through the parts catalog with a fine tooth comb if you'd find the little piece you made up. Obviously that slot in the outer housing was there for just such a reason. It also now makes sense that b/u lights could be a dealer installed option.

Top job ! These little hurdles are no match for one as skilled as yourself. :thumbsup:

Back