Backup light adjustment?

thethee

Reaction score
Going over the car I found that my backup lights were disconnected and I quickly discovered why when I reconnected them. Backup lights are off in park and neutral but are on in reverse, drive, 2, and 1. Can I somehow adjust this from the outside or do I need to open up the 727?

My car has the same problem. In park the backup light is off, in reverse, neutral and drive it´s on, I didn´t check 2, 1. The previous owner has removed the lens and replaced it with a piece of plastic. The neutral safety switch, for example this TorqueFlite/Mopar TF6/TF8/A904/A727/1968-1977.Neutral Safety/Reverse Lamp Switch | eBay , is the solution according to the article Ironwolf has linked. Would this switch work on my 78 NYB, 400 cui. engine, too? The seller mentions 1968-1977. Or is this , Dodge Chrysler Trans Neutral Safety Switch Reverse Light Large tf6 tf8 727 | eBay the right part for my 78?

Last edited:
They should be the 3-wire switch, either way. Look in the part description and see if they might ref a genuine Chrysler part number. OR go into www.rockauto.com and look around. Personally, I trust their catalogs and related buyer's guide of what other vehicles the respective part might fit more than an eBay listing. In www.rockauto.com, click on the "INFO" icon to look at the part and see the OEM part numbers it is supposed to replace. Then go back and click on the item's part number and it'll give you the models and model years it should fit. FWIW

If you drop the trans pan, you might find the little ball that is supposed to be making contact to turn the lights on in it. Plus you can see what actually touches the ball to complete the circuit. Should not be a complicated situation. I don't see how an internal failure of the switch might happen, but that would be an outside chance to me.

The neutral safety switch is below the atf line when the engine is not running, so have a drain pan ready when you pull it out if the fluid level is not lowered prior to that activity.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Also make sure you have the right switch for the right rooster comb in the trans. Common if the trans was changed.
topic=541.jpg

Up to 68 the backup switch was on the column or the console shifter.
69+ it was on the transmission.

Start over, what year is your car?

Alan

I just discovered that i have a 1966 transmission in my car, so the 1978 safety switch can´t work correct with the 1966 rooster comb.

I believe my transmission is original to my car which is indeed a '75 imperial like triple red already mentioned. Hopefully I can verify the rooster comb from the NSS opening

When I pulled the trans today I found atf inside of the neutral starter switch connector when I removed it. Looked like it leaked through the switch. That means I should replace it right?

No kit on the rooster comb. There are a few charts out there with the pics of the differences, search it, then you can get the right switch to work. The seal I believe is all the same on them. But leaking through it is in need of a new switch the crimp is leaking.

Back