Backup lights not working..

luigi164

Reaction score
Checked the bulbs first and they are oké.
Checked if I got power when trans in reverse and ignition on: no power :(

Mmm, the neutral safety/backup light switch is the next suspect..
I know, true this forum, that the 2 outer pins of the switch are for the backuplights. So I thought, when I bypass them the lights should work. So connected the plug like this:
20200410_140458.jpg

thinking this is how the switch works when putting trans in reverse (and ignition ON )
Lights NOT working :(
Is my testing OK or am I doing something wrong ?

Do you have power at either end that you are jumping? If not, check the fuse. It will be on the acc. side position A. If you have power, wires or connections back to your back up lights need to be checked and tested.

Checked the bulbs first and they are oké.
Checked if I got power when trans in reverse and ignition on: no power :(

Mmm, the neutral safety/backup light switch is the next suspect..
I know, true this forum, that the 2 outer pins of the switch are for the backuplights. So I thought, when I bypass them the lights should work. So connected the plug like this:
View attachment 367426
thinking this is how the switch works when putting trans in reverse (and ignition ON )
Lights NOT working :(
Is my testing OK or am I doing something wrong ?
Ignition on when trying this?

But yea, check for voltage at this connection and work your way towards the fault. Might have to remove the driver side kick panel to expose the plug for the wire that runs to the back, but that's if you show power before but not after.

I'd also suspect the ground at the reverse light too..

Also, run a jumper wire from the plug to the battery and see if it lights.

All tested as discribed above. Must be the switch ánd that came in the mail today. Ordered at RA, made in China...
20200423_145526.jpg

Now the next question: can I expect a lot of ATF pooring out when unscrewing the switch ?

Today I made an attempt to replace the NSS. Jacked the car up, crawled under it but could not get the damn thing out. Not the right (deep) socket, not enough room to make it turn, so after some time I said to myself: F... it, I'll do it an other time, now I'm gonna take a ride. And now, surprise ! As if "someone" told me: check the backup lights once more, the lights were working !! Problem solved. Now at least I have a spare..:thumbsup:

Back