Bad news for my '67 Fury III hardtop

Early C Bodies - The Slab Side Years

1. John Reddie

John Reddie Member

Last week I was detoured onto a road I was unfamiliar with. I came to a 4 way intersection and was slammed into on my left front by a guy in a van. My stop sign was partly blocked by foliage. He didn't have a stop sign so despite the fact that his inspection sticker and registration sticker were expired, it was my fault. I have yet been to find out how he is. I am still in rehab with 4 broken ribs.
    My Fury was towed to my house and is most likely totaled. I won't know for sure until I get a better look and can check it out. If it can't I will save it as parts for my '67 Fury convertible. It will be a little while before I'll be able to do much.
    John imagejpeg_0_01.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  2. McPherson 57

McPherson 57 Member

I know your pain.

IMG_6279.JPG

3. Davea Lux

Davea Lux Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

I think it might be repairable. Roof pillar is still straight which usually means the door post is ok as well. You will need to pull the front fender and driver's door to get a better inspection. Also does not appear to have any serious frame or suspension damage as the driver front wheel is still straight. Check the passenger side fender to see if is is still straight. A passenger fender that is still lined up will usually means the frame has not been pushed to one side.

Dave

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. traintech55

traintech55 Senior Member

There is an awful lot of thick metal in that front end. I agree with Dave, looks like fender, inner and outer fender, hood, door and front bumper. Hope you heal soon, good luck.

Bill

• Like Like x 1
  5. cbarge

cbarge World Famous Barge in a Budget FCBO Gold Member

Sorry to hear and get well soon!
    I agree the car should be assesed before condemning it.
    The 4dr hardtops have 4 layers of metal in the rockers.
    I dont see any cracks in the windshield nor kinks in the roof.
    So that is a good sign the body is straight.
    Worse case scenario a front stub frame and clip. Get her on a body jig.

6. Ross Wooldridge

Ross Wooldridge Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

Get well soon. It could have been a lot worse.

I'm really sorry to hear of your car. Such a drag. Did your head break the side glass?

7. CBODY67

CBODY67 Old Man with a Hat

Glad you are all right!

Might quickly send an operative out to the location to get a picture/video (from the driver's seat) of the partially-obstructed sign. Then ask who might be in charge of ensuring the trees around that sign (and others near there) are trimmed back so the view of the sign is not obstructed in any way. Proceed from there.

By observation, those Slabs are toughed than many might even suspect. Especially when compared to similar GM cars, by observation.

Get well!
    CBODY67

8. John Reddie

John Reddie Member

Thanks guys for the positive replies. I love this car and will make every effort to repair it. In the event that the stub frame is bent I have a nice spare thàt came from a Fury 1 with a slant 6. The measurements appear to match up with my 318 frame according to my service manual. The difference is where the engine mounts attach it looks like. Any tips and advice are most welcome. The drivers front door glass did not break.
    John

9. azblackhemi

azblackhemi Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

Glad you are ok. Looks like the impact was high enough that the stub frame might be fine. Since you have a spare it will be easy to take some measurements and determine if it's bent. Good luck with the repair!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ross Wooldridge

Glad that the door glass didn't break - another good sign that things are possibly remaining lined up. Plus, it's hard on the noggin!! I thought it had gotten broken because of the plastic in the picture...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  11. Mr onetwo

Mr onetwo Well-Known Member

Get well soon.You are very lucky he didn't impact you directly in the drivers door...might have been a very different outcome.

12. 1978 NYB

1978 NYB Warfighter FCBO Gold Member

I hope you recover soon!

13. Mr C

Mr C Senior Member

Sorry to see the smashed C's...but as long as they did their job and you survived to tell the tale, that's what is important.

I hope you're feeling better soon!

14. FURYGT

FURYGT Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

You might have a roadway defect claim against the town and possibly against the land owner if foliage was blocking the stop sign. I used to handle claims against towns, cities and counties in MA. Chapter 84 governs roadway defect claims and unless something has changed, the maximum recovery is $5k. Chapter 258 governs other claims against towns etc. with a $100k maximum recovery. However, timely written notification of the claim to the town with a letter containing pertinent info per the statute must be sentto a specific town employee. You may want to talk to an attorney that is knowledgeable on MA roadway defect claims and Chapter 258 claims.

General Law - Part I, Title XIV, Chapter 84, Section 15

Chapter 258

More importantly, I am glad to hear that you were not injured more seriously and that you car may be save-able. You will need to check the front stub frame to see if it was bent. Get well soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. stubs300

stubs300 Senior Member

Sue the shit out of the county for failing to maintain a "safe right of way" with sign blockage,, and sue the shit out of the other driver for negligence and failure to properly maintain a unregistered vehicle! Sorry about the ribs and the car! Good Luck

16. Ross Wooldridge

Get date-signed pictures of the obscured sign BEFORE someone cleans it up. Even better, put a newspaper with the print date in the foreground for proof. The INSTANT anyone gets wind of a pending lawsuit, that will be cleaned up and then you have no case.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1