ballast resistors

A small refinement to your thinking.

The ballast resistor and points and coil are all in series. This means if you add the resistance of the two devices and divide that result into the input voltage you calculate the current (amperage). When the points are closed, current flows, when the points are open no current flows and the voltage across the points is the full input voltage. The is no voltage drop across either the ballast resistor or the coil since there is zero current. So what is the purpose of the ballast resistor? You might also wonder what the condenser is supposed to do.

The coil is in fact a transformer, a coil wound inside a coil such that an alternating voltage on one coil, the primary, will induce a voltage on the other, secondary, coil. If the primary and secondary coils have the same number of windings, the input and out voltages will be the same. If the the primary has say 50 wraps and the secondary has say 1000 wraps, the ratio is 1:20. So 12V AC in would produce 240V out. (actually a little less due to transformer efficency) Notice all the voltages must be alternating or rapidly switched off and on. Notice also no mention of current because current does pass through a transformer.

So how does this transformer do it's thing? A current passing through a wire creates a mild magnetic field, wind the around a piece of iron to make coil and you have an electromagnet. Now wind a second wire on top of your first coil and you have a transformer. Why, because current flowing through a wire creates a magnetic field and as that field builds the field cuts through the secondary coil and induces a voltage. This secondary voltage works across the secondary load to create current, ie I=V/R.

Note also, power = V times I and since you can't "create" power, the power output of the transformer will always be equal or less than the input power.

Anyways, a transformer is an inductor and it "backfires". When the voltage in is rising, the magnetic field rises and the secondary voltage rises. When the input voltage drops to zero, the magnetic field collapses, but the collapsing secondary voltage induces a reverse magnetic field and this induces a negative voltage spike in the primary. This voltage is what causes the points to arc and produce a negative voltage ripple backwards into your input power supply.

To control this negative spike a capacitor, another non-linear impedance, will short this pulse to ground, but block non-alternating voltage, ie your battery DC. This in fact why a few capacitors in your wiring harness will greatly reduce radio static.

So why the ballast resistor? The coil is an oil filled transformer which has difference inductive characteristics when it is running and at operating temperature. To make starting easier with a "hot" spark, the starter switch bypasses the Ballast resistor. Once running, you don't need as hot a spark and you don't need to drive the coil quite as hard, so the ballast resistor is added to split the input voltage across the resistor and the coil in a ratio equal to their individual resistance.

All of this is just the basic story, the real story is a lot more complicated because we have a chopped, electrically noisy input voltage working in a resistive, inductive and capacitive circuit. In electronics speak this is an tuned oscillator with a temperature and load variable inductor. So don't muck about without careful thought. Clean properly gapped points are critical, the capacitor is critical and the ballast resistor must be sized to the coil being used. Ideally the ballast resistor should be variable such that you could adjust it according to how the coil is heating.

Does this help or is it too much tech speak?
Not too much tech speak at all... The more info folks have the better.

I will question you a bit on the "transformer" analogy though. Keep in mind, I'm not an EE (my brother Hank was!) and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night...

It's always been my understanding that the difference between a transformer and an ignition coil was the iron core doesn't loop around both the primary and secondary windings in an ignition coil. The primary windings loop around the secondary windings and the core is in the center in a coil and in a transformer, the primary loops around one side of the core and the secondary loops around the other side of the core.

Transformer is closed loop and coil is open loop... Or something like that. I'm getting out of my element here...

Ok... Gotta break out the High Voltage training story.

Back when I worked for GE, there was a mandate that everyone in our division got "high voltage" training. It really didn't apply to us, but it was a safety thing aimed at a lot of their people in the division that did.

So... we all sat through the class and it wasn't too bad. The instructor kept it interesting etc. It lasted two days.

At the end of the class, the teacher started going around the room to ask questions about what we had learned. He started with me and gave me a scenario where I was to disconnect some high voltage transformers at a power plant. I said "Honestly, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it and would call for someone that knew what they were doing". The teacher got a little pissed and said "Didn't you learn anything in this class?". I said "yep... I learned to that it would be too dangerous for me to do the job as I do not have the experience".

He growled something under his breath and went to the next guy... who happened to be my boss... and asked the same question. My boss said, "I would do the same thing John would do, call someone that knew what they were doing". The teacher got a little more pissed and went to the next guy who said "Yep, calling someone that can do this safely is the thing to do". The questions ended at that point and we all got our training certificates and went back to work.
If I had been the instructor, you would have failed and taken it over again.

If I had been the instructor, you would have failed and taken it over again.
I think if you had been the instructor, you would have realized that the subject matter was aimed at guys that were working around power stations and there would have to be lots of OJT and supervision before any of us there would suit up.

It would be like reading a comic book about driving and then running the Indy 500 without ever sitting behind the wheel of a car.

We were never even going near the stuff he was teaching about...

Same guy was back again later to give the driving safety course. Some of us were out on the road, so he scheduled another make up class. I was still out on the road for that one, so he scheduled another just for me. I was out somewhere else by then. I never heard any of this until I got back, but my boss told me that I did real well in the course that day.

A small refinement to your thinking.

The ballast resistor and points and coil are all in series. This means if you add the resistance of the two devices and divide that result into the input voltage you calculate the current (amperage). When the points are closed, current flows, when the points are open no current flows and the voltage across the points is the full input voltage. The is no voltage drop across either the ballast resistor or the coil since there is zero current. So what is the purpose of the ballast resistor? You might also wonder what the condenser is supposed to do.

The coil is in fact a transformer, a coil wound inside a coil such that an alternating voltage on one coil, the primary, will induce a voltage on the other, secondary, coil. If the primary and secondary coils have the same number of windings, the input and out voltages will be the same. If the the primary has say 50 wraps and the secondary has say 1000 wraps, the ratio is 1:20. So 12V AC in would produce 240V out. (actually a little less due to transformer efficency) Notice all the voltages must be alternating or rapidly switched off and on. Notice also no mention of current because current does pass through a transformer.

So how does this transformer do it's thing? A current passing through a wire creates a mild magnetic field, wind the around a piece of iron to make coil and you have an electromagnet. Now wind a second wire on top of your first coil and you have a transformer. Why, because current flowing through a wire creates a magnetic field and as that field builds the field cuts through the secondary coil and induces a voltage. This secondary voltage works across the secondary load to create current, ie I=V/R.

Note also, power = V times I and since you can't "create" power, the power output of the transformer will always be equal or less than the input power.

Anyways, a transformer is an inductor and it "backfires". When the voltage in is rising, the magnetic field rises and the secondary voltage rises. When the input voltage drops to zero, the magnetic field collapses, but the collapsing secondary voltage induces a reverse magnetic field and this induces a negative voltage spike in the primary. This voltage is what causes the points to arc and produce a negative voltage ripple backwards into your input power supply.

To control this negative spike a capacitor, another non-linear impedance, will short this pulse to ground, but block non-alternating voltage, ie your battery DC. This in fact why a few capacitors in your wiring harness will greatly reduce radio static.

So why the ballast resistor? The coil is an oil filled transformer which has difference inductive characteristics when it is running and at operating temperature. To make starting easier with a "hot" spark, the starter switch bypasses the Ballast resistor. Once running, you don't need as hot a spark and you don't need to drive the coil quite as hard, so the ballast resistor is added to split the input voltage across the resistor and the coil in a ratio equal to their individual resistance.

All of this is just the basic story, the real story is a lot more complicated because we have a chopped, electrically noisy input voltage working in a resistive, inductive and capacitive circuit. In electronics speak this is an tuned oscillator with a temperature and load variable inductor. So don't muck about without careful thought. Clean properly gapped points are critical, the capacitor is critical and the ballast resistor must be sized to the coil being used. Ideally the ballast resistor should be variable such that you could adjust it according to how the coil is heating.

Does this help or is it too much tech speak?

Actually Bill, you have shed a lot of light on electrical for me. I am very electrically un-inclined (read: it's all voodoo to me lol) and that was a very well written piece in lay-man's terms that was strung together very intuitively.

Bravo!
clapping-bravo-smiley-emoticon.gif

That is awesome. I am far from a expert but I think you used commas properly.

I copied and studied Stan's comma use rules. :lol:

It's always been my understanding that the difference between a transformer and an ignition coil was the iron core doesn't loop around both the primary and secondary windings in an ignition coil. The primary windings loop around the secondary windings and the core is in the center in a coil and in a transformer, the primary loops around one side of the core and the secondary loops around the other side of the core.

The physical layout of primary vs secondary doesn't really matter, except maybe for efficiency and heat transfer. All that is needed is an iron core to enhance and concentrate the magnetic field. It's a neat trick to take chopped 12v DC and create 20KV. It's an even neater trick to create a more or less uniform output as the primary pulse duration gets very short at high engine rpm. These problems are why high performance systems use magnetic pulse triggers to fire a CD circuit to drive the coil. Also, high compression engines are a challenge because it's harder to jump a spark at the plugs. They pretty well must use electronic systems to create very high voltage to create fat sparks.

Ok... Gotta break out the High Voltage training story.

I ran a job for Westinghouse in Quebec. We were working inside a switch yard where the feed lines were 750KV from Labrador. The electric fields were intense and everything metal had to tied to the yard ground plain. Switch yards are gravel resting on a copper grid with tie points everywhere. A favorite trick for new guys, we would tell them about grounding and we would suggest they park their car just inside the fence. Most didn't ground the car because, after all, it's insulated on it's rubber wheels. Come quitting time everyone waited for the poor guy to touch his car. I don't know, maybe that's how the taser got invented.

On another job, this time in the turbine and generator division, a 4' diameter electro magnet is hung from a gantry crane and used to pickup large sheets of steel. It used 36V DC, direct current to generate a strong enough field to lift major weight. Any way, one day they had a big sheet of 3/4" plate up about 5 feet and the magnet lost power. The sheet didn't hit anyone but it did a lot of damage on the floor. The operator, figured he could fix it, since it was only 36V. He climbed on top and used his crescent wrench to pull one of the power cables to clean the contact. Well the magnet was energized and the magnetic field was fully developed. When he pulled the cable, the field collapsed and produced a huge back voltage. Before anyone could do anything he was literally fried like a piece of bacon.

Moral, HV AC with throw you across the room, but DC with lock our muscles and very likely kill you. My rule, don't mess with big DC and keep one hand in your pocket when working with AC.

I ran a job for Westinghouse in Quebec. We were working inside a switch yard where the feed lines were 750KV from Labrador. The electric fields were intense and everything metal had to tied to the yard ground plain. Switch yards are gravel resting on a copper grid with tie points everywhere. A favorite trick for new guys, we would tell them about grounding and we would suggest they park their car just inside the fence. Most didn't ground the car because, after all, it's insulated on it's rubber wheels. Come quitting time everyone waited for the poor guy to touch his car. I don't know, maybe that's how the taser got invented.

On another job, this time in the turbine and generator division, a 4' diameter electro magnet is hung from a gantry crane and used to pickup large sheets of steel. It used 36V DC, direct current to generate a strong enough field to lift major weight. Any way, one day they had a big sheet of 3/4" plate up about 5 feet and the magnet lost power. The sheet didn't hit anyone but it did a lot of damage on the floor. The operator, figured he could fix it, since it was only 36V. He climbed on top and used his crescent wrench to pull one of the power cables to clean the contact. Well the magnet was energized and the magnetic field was fully developed. When he pulled the cable, the field collapsed and produced a huge back voltage. Before anyone could do anything he was literally fried like a piece of bacon.

Moral, HV AC with throw you across the room, but DC with lock our muscles and very likely kill you. My rule, don't mess with big DC and keep one hand in your pocket when working with AC.

You should read about Edison and Westinghouse and how the war between AC and DC led to developing the electric chair.

You should read about Edison and Westinghouse and how the war between AC and DC led to developing the electric chair.
I've read a few things concerning the DC vs AC wars and the business and political BS that fueled it. Without AC and step up transformers power transmission simply wouldn't work with modern user density. The 750KV line I worked on back in 1964 was the largest in the world although I think India has some at 800KV and they are contemplating 1,200 KV. A relatively new development is UHAC and UHDC where UH means ultra high. It's been over 40 years since I worked large power generation and transmission so a lot of water has flowed under the bridge.

That's true, but you are saying it a little backwards. The less amperage draw at the coil will mean higher voltage after the resistor.

Things to remember about voltage and current... Voltage won't kill you... Static electricity from scuffing your feet across a carpet can hit 4000 volts really easily. Current is what will kill you. Ten amps of current through your body will make you very dead.

I didn't post anything in this thread to bust Dave's (or anyone else's) balls. I like to make people think about how stuff works.
Sorry I wasn't more clear, after the resistor or at the coil... you will have more current with more volts R=E/I... so at .5ohm=6v/12a or 9v/18a...

One of the examples I have had some success with, when training the youngsters about this...

Voltage is the road....

Amperage is the trucks hauling stuff on the road...

Resistance is the traffic devices slowing down the road...

To do a certain amount of work, like hauling 1000 dump trucks of fill to a new housing development, you will need a good road to work efficiently. A small road (low volts) will allow less trucks to travel (less amps). Too many stop signs will restrict the flow even if it's a big paved 4 lane (ohms, or resistance).

This example is my own invention, I welcome the membership to pick it apart and help me improve. The reason I tend to use this, the youngsters have all heard examples about water flow and hoses and still sometimes struggle with the concepts. It gets really bad when gravity is thought to play a role.

I have had a number of apprentices in the past and I was often one of the guys the shop would defer to when dealing with electrical/electronics issues. I spent a long evening once while at the introductory training for MB helping a room full of techs, some with over a decade in the dealer, who were cramming for an pass/fail test on basic electricity... the instructor thanked me at the end, as it was his first fully successful class.

Suffice it to say I have trained a lot of technicians in these concepts, and I always am looking for better ways to connect the dots when explaining this stuff.
Those numbers may be true. When a 6volt system is starting it is maybe 5 at best so in the dead of winter you want that coil to light a fuel air mixture at barely half of its designed voltage?
The ballast resistor is bypassed while cranking sending full battery voltage to coil which when cranking on a 12 volts system which usually drops below 10 volts right in the designed voltage for the coil.
@Big John I should not have said Dammit stop, should have said ahhh yes, no I did not think you were breaking balls just sorry I did not think to help explain correctly.:thumbsup:
Sorry Dave... I was smiling as I typed it.:)

BTW 6v cars didn't need a ballast for 6v coils, 12v coils don't need a ballast for 12v cars. The ballast is used to let a coil rated for 6v (around 9v running) to survive in a 12v car and the starting circuit bypass is used to allow full voltage or close to it during cranking.

Did I say it better that time?

We often explain the coil is a step up transformer, I generally try not to get super specific when I explain it, because the youngsters I deal with have been taught about the winding ratios before... and that knowledge won't directly be a part of their troubleshooting.

I highlighted a part of your statement, and left the following paragraph which I think makes your information match up with that I have given. I do explain, when appropriate, that there is a relationship between the current given the coil and the current it produces. Current (amperage) is the part of the electricity that can hurt (kill) a person and milliamps can stop a heart. Current is also the part that causes the fuel to catch fire, so weak volts would cause weak amps (most testing is done in volts), which causes a weak flame front during propagation... in other words, it's all related. This is particularly important when discussing newer cars which often have current limiting circuitry for the ignition coils.

I also explain a Tesla coil at the mall won't hurt you because of super low current, and it won't make cylinders catch fire either.
OK, no problem...

I'm assuming that you mean the electronic ignition, so here's what I understand.

The first production electronic ignitions had a double ballast resistor.... actually two resistors housed in the same white ceramic. One resistor had 1.2 ohms resistance and the other 5 ohms.

When you twisted the key to start, the current flowed through the 1.2 ohm resistor. After the car started, and you released the key, the current flowed through the 5 ohm side.

This was the earlier version and is known as the "five pin" because of the five connections on the ignition box.

I'm not sure when or where it happened, but a "four pin" version of the ignition box came into play later on. This box used a single 1.2 ohm ballast resistor and the start position bypassed the resistor. Release the key back to "run" and the current flows through the ballast resistor.

I have no idea why the early one was designed like that just as I have no idea what (other than less pins) was changed in the later box. We're beyond my knowledge.

FWIW, the whole system seems pretty flexible. My car was wired by a PO for a five pin box with a dual ballast resistor, and the box was a four pin. It still ran fine.... I switched some wires around and it's wired correctly now.

I've also seen a lot of cars wired incorrectly using the four pin box with both positions (start and run) of the ignition switches running through the 1.2 resistor. They seem to start and run OK, although they are also used when the weather is nice etc. There's a few incorrect wiring diagrams floating around on the internet that have brought this about.

Then I've seen cars that are wired using the four pin that have bypassed the resistor all together. The resistor is still there... bolted to the firewall and there are wires going to it... but it's not wired right and they seem to have issues with failing coils that just can't be explained. If you ever see a coil mounted to a fenderwell because "it gets too hot and fails when it's mounted to the engine", chances are strong it's wired this way.
:thumbsup: The failure you are describing is because the coil is running too close to 12v... the coil can survive like that for short periods, but will over heat and fail prematurely if run that way continuously.

You just summed up my biggest fear of hybrid and electric vehicles... once you cross around 40v... the human body is at risk. With hundreds of DC volts available, I wouldn't refuse to work on the stuff, but I would be very conscious of safety practices and proper repair techniques. I have a big distrust of community gloves too...

I think if you had been the instructor, you would have realized that the subject matter was aimed at guys that were working around power stations and there would have to be lots of OJT and supervision before any of us there would suit up.

It would be like reading a comic book about driving and then running the Indy 500 without ever sitting behind the wheel of a car.

We were never even going near the stuff he was teaching about...

Same guy was back again later to give the driving safety course. Some of us were out on the road, so he scheduled another make up class. I was still out on the road for that one, so he scheduled another just for me. I was out somewhere else by then. I never heard any of this until I got back, but my boss told me that I did real well in the course that day.
It's all good John, I do appreciate the fact you have learned to respect and understand electricity. Many people don't and only by the grace of the man upstairs are still with us.
I have seen the destructive power that it can have working on the trains, each car had three separate electrical systems on them, 1st was a 40 vdc control system, 2nd, was an auxiliary 230 vac three phase system, for the lighting and heating system, 3rd was a 600 vdc system for the traction motors. Each car has a line breaker that trips out at 1350 amps. I have seem cars burn to the ground when the breaker welded and would not trip out when there was a short. Nasty stuff.

Here is a video of one of the trains burning up.

Back when I worked for GE
Now I know what happened. Back in the day G.E. used to have one hell of a Railroad division. About 15 years ago it went to hell, C.T.A. almost sued them, and they lost a lot on the warranty of the product we purchased from them. It all went to hell because you left.

Now I know what happened. Back in the day G.E. used to have one hell of a Railroad division. About 15 years ago it went to hell, C.T.A. almost sued them, and they lost a lot on the warranty of the product we purchased from them. It all went to hell because you left.
I had two different bosses that were also in charge of the calibration lab at the Erie Pa. locomotive plant. Been there a few times!

I posted that and remembered an Erie story that only folks there knew...

They had developed a new locomotive that ran on AC motors rather than DC motors. They had a lot of problems with developing it.

Jack Welch (then pres of GE) came to visit and take a ride in the new locomotive. Just before he arrived, they realized there was a huge problem with the prototype, but it was too late.... So once they loaded Neutron Jack on the new one, they came up behind and started pushing it with an older model. He never knew the difference and no pictures were taken of the new one being pushed.

There were a lot of great things about working for GE, but there was a lot of insanity too.

Back