Barn/shed/ garage find thread

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I don't want to infringe on another's thread so thought I'd start one for cool hidden car finds. I'll start with a Challenger I found by word of mouth. But any cool old car find is OK here.

My Mac tool guy, while I was at Roush racing turned me on to, what he said, was a 70 Challenger stored in a shed outside of Toledo Oh. He had got it from a relative but knew nothing about it. I got the location, drove about 50 miles and found it parked under a tarp. I rolled the tarp back over the roof so I could look at it and under the hood. There was a block with no heads and the 4 speed trans was gone and as I was looking at the fender tag I realized it was a 71 and not a 70. A closer look revealed a "V" engine code both on the tag and on the VIN. A six pack 71 Challenger R/T, and with the drag pack 4:10 Dana no less....One of 126 built. Cool.
I bought the car for $1500.00 and went back to pick it up. I decided to try and flip it first before getting into a restro, and listed it in Hemmings motor news. I priced it at $7K and it sold in two days, went to California. Not heard anything about it since.

71 challenger Six Pack.jpg

I don't want to infringe on another's thread so thought I'd start one for cool hidden car finds. I'll start with a Challenger I found by word of mouth. But any cool old car find is OK here.

My Mac tool guy, while I was at Roush racing turned me on to, what he said, was a 70 Challenger stored in a shed outside of Toledo Oh. He had got it from a relative but knew nothing about it. I got the location, drove about 50 miles and found it parked under a tarp. I rolled the tarp back over the roof so I could look at it and under the hood. There was a block with no heads and the 4 speed trans was gone and as I was looking at the fender tag I realized it was a 71 and not a 70. A closer look revealed a "V" engine code both on the tag and on the VIN. A six pack 71 Challenger R/T, and with the drag pack 4:10 Dana no less....One of 126 built. Cool.
I bought the car for $1500.00 and went back to pick it up. I decided to try and flip it first before getting into a restro, and listed it in Hemmings motor news. I priced it at $7K and it sold in two days, went to California. Not heard anything about it since.

View attachment 361415
How many years ago was this??

I'll have to try to remember to scan a picture and post to go along with this.

In the spring of 1996 I went into a "cheap" (think Harbor Freight) tool store. I was wearing a Mopar magazine t-shirt - one of the clerks says to me "My brother has a 70 Challenger RT SE." We chatted for a few minutes ago. In August of 1996 I went into the store and the same guys says to me "My brother is selling a 70 Challenger RT SE." I got a guy that I knew how to check the numbers and we went and looked at it. It turned out to be exactly what the guy had said. It was rough from having sat in a field with the windows down, but drivetrain and everything was there. So, after checking a few things out about it I bought it for $500. Over the next couple of years I gathered some parts, but never really had the resources to do a full on resto. In 2003 I considered selling it.,, I got so many responses that I decided to keep it. About 6 years ago I decided it was about time to sell it since i wasn't going to end up restoring it. It had been stored in a friends garage for about 11 years. I called one of the guys that was interested in previously and told him if he wanted the car it was for sale for $9500. Let's just say I don't owe it anymore.

I almost bought a lightly used 1970 Lime Green Superbird 440 4bbl. in 1976 for $2500. I had to beg my Grandma to borrow the cash but unfortunately someone beat me with cash and scooped up the Superbird. I had a 73 Ralleye 340 Challenger at that time that I bought brand new. I ended up enlisting in the Army later that year and I sold my 73 Challenger for $700.

I posted this find here a few years back but it's worth showing again, I think. It's one of those "kick myself" for not paying closer attention finds.
Word of mouth led me to this 1970 Plymouth Road Runner. Found it only about 5 miles from home but it was on a back woods dead end roads one never travels.
It was setting under some Georgia pines and covered in pine needles. First look showed a 70 Runner with automatic and factory A/C, no engine or trans. It was equipped with some unusual options, Hood pins, Go wing, rocker moldings but had a bench seat, base interior and column shift. Also a coupe with a vinal top. The windshield was delaminated to where I could not read the dash VIN, and the driver door would not open past the safety catch. The fender tag was also pretty obscure.
With the factory air I eliminated the 6bbl or hemi option as they were not available with A/C. So, that left it as a 383, so I assumed.
The owner priced it to me and with a little negotiation we came to terms.
I posted info and pictures on FBBO and got a lot of negative comments, POS, parts car....bla,bla,bla. One fellow in Los Vegas was interested in it so he could build a driver he could make his own. I priced it to him at $1K over what I could get it for and he agreed, and wired the money. I had not even bought the car yet.
I went back, paid the seller and tried to determine the VIN for a bill of sale. (there was no title in Alabama). I could not see the dash VIN or open the door to see the sticker VIN there. I figured it out, not to hard RM21G and the sequence was on the core support. (70 Road Runner 383 coupe). I loaded the car onto a trailer, drove out to the hwy and dropped it off with the transport arranged by the buyer. Off it went to Los Vegas.

About 3 weeks later I received a email from the buyer saying the VIN on the bos was not the same. He had removed the windshield and the 5th digit was a "U". He verified this with a picture of the door sticker, also a "U". In 1970 the U engine code was for a 440 HP which was not availiable on a Road Runner except for the Superbird.
Turned out to be a special in plant 383 delete car built for a plant exec at the time. A true 1 of 1 70 Road Runner. One other was documented and it was a H/T.

That's where the butt kicking comes in.

70 RR 1.JPG
70 RR 2.JPG
70 RR 4.JPG
70 RR 5.JPG

Probably Superbird without the wings?....based on the front grill and rear window.

Like a Charger 500?

Probably Superbird without the wings?....based on the front grill and rear window.

Like a Charger 500?
I could not see the dash VIN or open the door to see the sticker VIN there. I figured it out, not to hard RM21G and the sequence was on the core support. (70 Road Runner 383 coupe)

If you're referring to the orange roadrunner in the post from "bluefury361", based on his info that the VIN on the car was RM21 (quote above) then it can NOT be a superbird.
ALL superbirds are RM23 models

It was a Road Runner. Not a big mystery once it was determined it was a exec in house order at the factory. The 69 A12's were actually 383 delete cars with the 383 replaced with a 440. Back then, folks who knew the system could do those things.

I found this one sitting in the back of a shop out in the country one day while asking about a 64 Imperial out front.
A 61 300 G coupe, original and rock solid, from Arizona. The engine, trans and most of the suspension had been redone. Work had stalled on it for 3 years when I saw it. I got to know the owner and he was not to interested in selling, (I did buy a 72 Imperial coupe from him later on). Far as I know the Chrysler is still there.

Eds 300 G 1.JPG
Eds 300 G 2.JPG
Eds 300 G 3.JPG
Eds 300 G 4.JPG
Eds 300 G 5.JPG
Eds 300 G 6.JPG

This is the car that put me in C bodys, although not technically a C-body, it steered me that way. Found in a Garage in Lakeland Florida where it had sat for 15 years. My sister, in Tampa, worked with the owner and set it up for me to see it. I bought it, trailered it home to Alabama, redid the brakes and some other mechanical stuff and started driving it. Never wanted another B-body again.

Should have kept this one.

300 front (Large).JPG
300 at the beach.JPG
300 on deck.JPG

And can't forget my 64 D200 crew cab. I bid high for it on ebay and still lost. A short time later the owner contacted me and said the winning bidder renigged on his bid and tried to get it for less. We talked, I offered less then I had bid and he took it. It was in Cedar City Utah, I was in NC. There's a great story involved in retrieving it.
This truck was amazing, I got the history from new and drove it for over 10 years. A good friend in Tenn wanted it BAD. He came up with several trade offers and I rejected them all..... until he found and offered Virgil, (my 61 fury convertible). We traded straight up. I still have Virgil and he still has the crewcab. A picture of it in front of the original dealership it was bought new at. Last I heard it was still in business, although no longer a Dodge dealer, and Mr Lunt was still unlocking the door every morning.
The trip home is a great story. I'll save it for Carlisle.

64 crew cab at dealership (Small).JPG
64 crew cab (Small).JPG
64 crew cab rear (Small) (Small).JPG
crew cab at dega 2 (Small).JPG

Back