Basecoat/clearcoat or urethane for my 1972 Newport?

Painted my entire car myself with single stage BASFView attachment 40428. Took it apart,
fixed all imperfections, set up a temporary spray booth and went to work - BMW black.
It's not for everyone but it was for me. After painting I smoothed the finish by machine, glazed the paint and polished it. There's a lot of work to doing this so if it's instant
satisfaction you want get a shop to do it. I like the sheen of single stage because cars
of the late 50's and early sixties had a patina resembling enamel paint with deep
reflective properties when polished and clear wasn't that widely used. I had to do it
in this manner to get a true black and the effects it gives. Each to his own.

I think that is the biggest visual difference between the two paints. BC/CC shine looks to be on the surface like water while SS looks to be deep into the paint. SS has a more deep rich luster to it. If you have the eye it is easy to tell one from the other at a show.

@Henrius -- I don't think I have ever seen photos of your blue Newport. Would you care to post some here or in The 1972 Chrysler Thread? Fender tag and history of the car would be great too!

Back