Battery, Northstar or x2power. Experience?

Knebel

Reaction score
So my interstate group 24 just got me stranded again and I will be needing a battery. I am looking at the x2power line from batteries plus which are rebranded northstar i found out. I am looking at a group 27 deep cycle with 90Ah. Does anyone have expierience with those? I have an alarm system and efi which need a bit of capacity when the car is not in use, i believe my interstate mt-24 was way too weak for this and is 4 years old now. After one failed start and trying 3 more times it flatlined.

So my interstate group 24 just got me stranded again and I will be needing a battery. I am looking at the x2power line from batteries plus which are rebranded northstar i found out. I am looking at a group 27 deep cycle with 90Ah. Does anyone have expierience with those? I have an alarm system and efi which need a bit of capacity when the car is not in use, i believe my interstate mt-24 was way too weak for this and is 4 years old now. After one failed start and trying 3 more times it flatlined.
Need more back ground. Car year and model and Engine displacement.

68 fury iii with fuel injected 360. Has a dodge mini starter already. Also 100amp alternator charging good at 14.5volts

If you're set on a deep cycle battery be sure to look at ones that are referred to as cranking deep cycle batteries. I know you don't want to hear this but Interstate makes one, I believe Side also makes one.

Most of them seem to be specified as dual purpose. And heck no i will never buy interstate ever again.

I had looked at a optima yellowtop with 55Ah but for a little more the x2power group 27 seems like the better choice. Could get thatone for under 300 here...but man, i really wasn't planning on 300 bucks for a battery :(

I like Odyssey batteries myself, but they are not cheap either.

Hm. I will look into them! The car sometines sits all week and with efi and security system, it dropps dropps my interstate so low that it will barely start and sometimes the battery goes flat. Thats why i am looking at a big RC or Ah and deep cycle.

Hm. I will look into them! The car sometines sits all week and with efi and security system, it dropps dropps my interstate so low that it will barely start and sometimes the battery goes flat. Thats why i am looking at a big RC or Ah and deep cycle.
Have you checked to see how much milliamp draw there is on the battery. Maximum draw should be 20-25 milliamps.

I use Deka batteries, at a cost of 130.00 dollars best bang for the buck and reliable too.
I've had good experiences too... but... IMO the best practice for a non-pro would be to be a high quality battery from a common retailer. Regardless of brand, batteries can/do fail with little warning... you don't want to be on a road trip trying to find a dealer of a brand on a weekend.

If you have no other discount possibilities to make it worth your while, shop by group size and CCA and then price from common retailers. A $300 battery has as much chance of causing you headaches as a $100ish battery. If I can ever find a way to cash in on my employer's deeply discounted battery deal... I will gamble on whatever brand... I have been trying for years, $60 34/78 batteries. I run the size as it allows me to use them in all of my vehicles... I have been trying to budget myself to one new battery and one new set of tires per year (most run 235/75/15XL)... so far, I'm still paying around the $100+ mark.

I get that any battery can fail...yes. However, i dont want to get a "cheap" one and have to worry it keeps me stranded. Another problem is also that when cranking, the efi really doesn't like to see less than 10v. My interstate can only do that when i had it on the charger overnight. Even if i drive the car a good distance,after a couple of days it looses a lot of the charge.

Back