Battery question

polarus

Reaction score
When did Mopar switch from the old style battery with the individual caps to the newer style? I thought 1971 was the last year for the old style. I have a chance to buy a N.O.S. 1973 over the counter Mopar battery.

Pretty rare item, a friend of mine installed a vintage battery in his Dart, that was four years ago and no problems, as long as the battery is dry and sealed during storage it should work fine. To me it's the same as having the right air cleaner or spark plug wires.

They make a great reproduction Battery. I am puzzled, your telling me a forty year old car battery still has juice?

They make a great reproduction Battery. I am puzzled, your telling me a forty year old car battery still has juice?

If it is the old wet cell type, it was probably stored without the acid. You add the acid to the lead plates when it is installed, you can buy the electrolyte right at Home Depot. That would be a cool find, how much does something like that go for?

I'm still learning about C bodies but from what I can tell the reproduction batteries are correct for 1971 down, 1972 was the change over to the new style. I could be wrong I'm hoping somebody here knows for sure. The battery has no acid in it, it's dry, the box was never opened until I broke the seal.

If it is the old wet cell type, it was probably stored without the acid. You add the acid to the lead plates when it is installed, you can buy the electrolyte right at Home Depot. That would be a cool find, how much does something like that go for?
Right no acid, I'm hoping to do a parts trade, I'm still negotiating.

One sold on E-bay for $150.00 plus shipping about four months ago.

Neat. The acid is not expensive, and a new battery from Pep Boys will run $115, so maybe another $75 get's you period correct.

Back