Been working on a vintage tool 3D Picture box

mr. fix it

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I've been casually collecting vintage tools foe the past 40+ years & have displayed a few on the garage wall.

I have been scratching my head over making a 3D picture box to show case some of my trinkets collected over the years.

Trying to do it on the low $$ I found a discarded wooden kitchen utensil organizer & came up with this mock up.

I used a downloaded vintage Texaco photo from somewhere in the US of A, singed the edges then urethaned it to the base of the box and in the process of deciding what tools to place.
(Tools are yet to be permanently attached as discreetly as possible)

Originally I had planned to simply attach more tools to the back wall but when I saw the photo, I had to add that into the equation since I have a fondness for the Texaco signage.

A few of the first layout have tools that are turn of the early 20th century with some hand crafted chisels. The brass hammer is 1910's
The small pipe wrench is also from this era.
The Snap on 3/8" tools are from the late 40's early 50's
Hand drill has a screw on handle top for bits.

Measures about 10" x 14" with a 1 1/4" depth.

This is what I came up with so far.

IMG_4208.JPG
IMG_4211.JPG
IMG_4214.JPG

That's not a pipe wrench. That is an adjustable wrench, known to many as a "monkey wrench" or even a "Ford wrench", although a real Ford wrench has the Ford script.

il_570xN.470612252_mfid.jpg

known to many as a "monkey wrench"

We always called them a monkey wrench or knuckle busters. I didn't take too long to figure out the reason for the last one. Slippery little bastards when pressure is applied. :lol:

We always called them a monkey wrench or knuckle busters. I didn't take too long to figure out the reason for the last one. Slippery little bastards when pressure is applied. :lol:

Which is why I never use them ever for anything other than a display like this one or hanging on the wall.

any neighbours that ask to borrow tools I will lend them this one or the other bigger ones

they don't usually ever ask again:rofl:

I have an identical wrench in my toolbox. I don't think I've used it a half dozen times and I've had it since the late 60's (and it was old then). It's not long enough to put any leverage on anything large, although it opens up pretty far. I can't remember the last time I used it, it may have been on a bicycle crank, but who knows.

I also have a similar hammer, albeit a little shorter. We used to make them at a small tool shop I worked at when I was a teenager. I think they had a contract to make them for someone. I still use it often.

Back