bell housing

weezle98

Reaction score
Ok so I'm gonna keep the 65 fury for a bit, built the 318 and put a 4speed in it. Will any small block bell housing work on the 318 poly engine?

Ok so I'm gonna keep the 65 fury for a bit, built the 318 and put a 4speed in it. Will any small block bell housing work on the 318 poly engine?
The early and late 727's had the same bolt pattern on the bell housing so i cant see why not, the only major difference between the early poly motors and the later 318's 360's etc is the heads and manifold with a slightly different bolt pattern on the head bolts. You can use any 318 rings and bearings etc, including oil pumps and such, just not head parts or head gaskets.

Make sure the crank is drilled for a pilot bushing as well, before you spend money. It also has to be drilled significantly deeper for the shaft of the transmission. Not all are drilled for a stick.

I suppose the engine wouldn't tell me if it is drilled or not?

You'll know it. With the undrilled type if you can feel the end of the hole with your finger, it's not drilled. the drilled crank is so deep I use a marked screw driver to measure it's depth. Don't take a trans from somebody who hacked the end off of the transmission shaft either, an old chevy trick. not a good idea.

I disagree just use a pilot bearing from a late model 5.2/5.9 motor fits in torque converter register rather than just a bushing further up inside the crank.

My bro in law challenger came like that 440 cast crank was cut off before he got it, it works well, I would not cut the end of a number match trans but if your building a hodge podge out of pieces and stuck with undrilled crank what the hell, I am going to use the bearing on my Charger and it has the deep hole in crank. It supports well and is right up by splines so may be savior for short shafts

Last edited:
I'll keep that in mind, I have a nice 68' 383 335HP, but an Auto, not deep enough for my 23" spline 4-speed transmission.

Ok. I ment the engine serial number wouldn't tell me if the crank was drilled.

no. Normally an original Automatic wasn't drilled. I never saw an original 318 auto drilled, or a 383 auto, regardless of application. The best way to find one is to know the depth, and measure the subject you come across. Until 1990 or so all the crank kits I bought were drilled as part of the rebuilding of the crank at NAPA, or wherever. It was easier for the rebuild companies back then to sell one crank for each engine application. However, I can't get them anymore and I don't know about anyone else. RoJam won't even drill them for me anymore.
Now I stock the cranks that are drilled whenever I find them. For some unknown reason, the last group of 440's I have found have all been drilled. (67-74) A Mystery, HP or not. The 74' is an original 440 HP and forged crank, removed from a 74' Charger in 1984. you may get lucky and find one that has been rebuilt, and have a drilled crank.

I think you are good back to 61-62 there is a crank flange difference before that I believe maybe that is just big blocks. There is also a small clutch bell from 273 that will bolt up but not work with 10.5" flywheel

Last edited:
Back