Belt lengths

Jonas

Reaction score
Does anyone know the correct length on the belts that drives the ac and alternator...for my -65 300. Both of them gave up yesterday...
And the other lengths, ps pump belt and fan belt...might as well swap 'em all while I'm at it.

There is ONE thing about using "belt lengths". The .440" width belts will need to have a length that's about 1" longer than a 3/8" wide belt in the SAME application. That's because it sits higher in the groove of the pulley than the thinner belt does. The reverse is also true. SO make sure which width belt the factory specs for the particular placement. So not only is the length important, so is the width!

Used to be that the a/c and alternator belts were only sold as "matched sets", in the same cardboard wrap. Not two individual belts put together for sale, from different production batches.

If the power steering mount is "flexible", don't over-tighten that belt as it'll cause earlier "wear" of the pivot bushing that makes the pump lean into the belt when you put a load on the pump. If it sits a little sideways, that's fine, too.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

How trashed is the old belt? Is there a part # you can reference for a replacement? Take it with you to the parts store, they should be able to get you a match or something close. Buy a couple and take the ones that don't fit back for refund.
Wait? Isn't there something in the FSM on parts and stuff? Mine's packed up and can't check, check it out. Good Luck

I can just get a string and measure it to get close but I figured someone might know...the old ones are trashed since they got cought and ripped to peaces...
Rockauto lists 66" for a 0.44" wide (67.1" for .406"w) for the alternator and ac belt...sounds about right..(but contradicts CBODY67 statement above)

Last edited:
I've never dealt with Rockauto so I don't know their return policy is? Take those numbers to the local parts store. I tried to find what mine are, all I have is 68013 on my belt and it has the v's in the bottom. The Big Mopar parts books shows it to be #1533532, but that comes up empty too. 66"'s sounds about right by the looks of it, go take a string and measure it. That's going to be your best gig. Good Luck

Back when the cars were "newer", the ONE part number for a Chrysler Corp a/c dual-belt (factory or aftermarket replacement) was a MATCHED SET. NOT two belts of the same part number. With better manufacturing quality controls, that might not be the case in more recent times. You can match the production codes on the belts, if they are packaged individually.

Rock Auto is a good information source, at the very least. With respect to "belts", their listings might have the needed length/width in them. You can use their listings to see "what's out there" and then seek the same parts locally. The "string method" might give you a starting point, but not much else, with all due respect, as you'll probably get the measurement at the base of the pulley's grooves, rather than higher-up in the groove where the belt actually rides.

DO take your old belts for a match of width AND length. Probably might still be some ink stamped numbers with that information on them, which would help if you have to drive that particular car to the auto supply store. OR write it down before you go.

The "story" on the necessity of the "matched belts" for the Chrysler a/c and alternator use, as I recall, was that they had to be matched so that when they "slapped" at certain rpm levels and compressor load, one wouldn't knock the other one out of its groove, which could also take the radiator hose with it too. NOT a good situation! No a/c and no coolant. On the side of the road, in a time when all "phones" were landlines. Call those matched belts "insurance".

No matter how tight you can adjust the a/c belt, it'll always "slap" or "flex" as the engine runs with the a/c on. Some of the later cars with an idler pulley for those belts probably won't do it like the earlier ones did.

CBODY67

I know this is an old thread but I figured I'd post the belt part numbers for posterity. These are for Factory AC cars.

Dayco:
Alternator/AC (2): 15660
Power Steering: 17435
Idler: 15360

Gates:
Alternator/AC (2): 7660
Power Steering: 9435
Idler: 7360

The old Goodyear numbers are now Continental. My old Goodyear book calls for AC and alt 383 engine as 13665 X 2, and 413 engine as 13681 X 2. The PS is 17432 and the Fan is 13365.

I know this is an old thread but I figured I'd post the belt part numbers for posterity. These are for Factory AC cars.

Dayco:
Alternator/AC (2): 15660
Power Steering: 17435
Idler: 15360

Gates:
Alternator/AC (2): 7660
Power Steering: 9435
Idler: 7360

Back