Belt retractor cover removal

5wndwcpe

Reaction score
I'm replacing the carpet in my car and before I go all Cro-Magnun on it, I was wondering if you fellas have a tip for removing the plastic cover that attaches to the seat belt retractor that's anchored to the floor.

IMG_0622[1].JPG

Pete, IIRC (it's been 2 years since I removed my carpet) you basically unsnap that cover (put a little bit of inward pressure on the long ends) pop it up, and then push the buckle + cover through the carpet. I know I have pics of it sans carpet somewhere. Ill check when I get home this afternoon.

Don’t know what year you are dealing with but on some models the plastic boot is riveted to a metal bracket bolted to the floor. Lift the carpet and take a look.

On retractor boot we use a hairdryer to soften up the plastic enough to get over the clasp. Do use too much heat in that the plastic will distort.

Don’t know what year you are dealing with but on some models the plastic boot is riveted to a metal bracket bolted to the floor. Lift the carpet and take a look.

On retractor boot we use a hairdryer to soften up the plastic enough to get over the clasp. Do use too much heat in that the plastic will distort.

1969 300

Okay, mystery solved.

The cover is hinged and there are two tabs you push to release it. It does not cover the cut edge of the carpet by much so you might want to trim it out before you crack open the Yuenglings.

P1010031.JPG

Mario, make your way to Woodward in a few weeks and I'll some cold ones for 'ya !

Back