Belts are loosening any tips?

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
The belts on my 383 for my power steering and alternator are loosening after about 100 miles. The first time I thought I might not have tighten them down with enough torque, because none of the bolts were loose. I was surprised the second time it happen and on both belts again.
The engine runs very smoothly, so I don't see that vibration is the issue. None of the bolts felt loose in fact I need to loosen everything up to move it to the proper tension. What is the proper torque, is this at all common?

New belts will stretch a little at first. Tensioning to about 1/2" deflection in the middle of the span is about right. Once the "newness" is worn off the belt, it should be OK. That is the beauty of the serpentine belt with the auto-tensioner.

What is the proper torque, is this at all common?

Old school method.
Correct tightness is when you can twist the belt with your fingers 1/4 turn.

Off topic: Who remembers the correct points gap was a matchbook cover.

I remember it as well, but our generation already got taught this method as antiquated. One generation further won't even know such a gap existed. Generation gap.

New belts will stretch a little at first. Tensioning to about 1/2" deflection in the middle of the span is about right. Once the "newness" is worn off the belt, it should be OK. That is the beauty of the serpentine belt with the auto-tensioner.
I thought they maybe still stretching.

Old school method.

Fabulous Stan! I just used a matchbook to set someones points a short time ago. When I do something like that nowdays, people look at me like I'm from outer space.

On the belts: I make sure there's a lock washer on all the bolts. It helps keep it from slipping (if that's the problem), and also acts as a little bit of additional spacer for the bolt.

I keep one or two books in every glove compartment. A few gas stations around here still have the boxes of free matches on the counter.

Funny thing is - A lot of people who think they are "car guys" don't know what a feeler gauge or plug gapper is for....

Last edited:
The Wawa offers matches with their smokes.

I remember the matchbook trick but never had an opportunity to use it.

When I bought my brown 71 13 years ago I walked into the Auto Zone asking for points, the kid behind the counter had no idea what I was looking for.... I never went back.

Belts? I agree, they loosen up when new and neeed to be re tightened after a few miles.

Are they a good brand like gates?

:yes: - The sheetmetal on the radiator support for a 55 Pontiac is good for setting plug gap too...

I think you and I worked in the same gas station. Over one of the overhead doors, was it marked "LUBRITORIUM"?

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Both my dad and my H.S auto shop teacher taught me the book of matches trick.

Old school method.

Matchbook should end up with .019 to .021 gap.

That's today. They used to be of higher caliber cardboard. When we took pride in lighting up our non-filter Chesterfields.

I prefered Luckies. They had a much smoother taste then Camels. I remember when they were $.75 at the Sunoco in the vending machine.

Back