Belts & Hoses...package deal?

68NewportDDD

Reaction score
Did I tell you about the 68 Chrysler Newport 2 door fast top with the 383 cu in engine and the Edelbrock 750 4 bbl carburetor I recently bought???

Alright...So I am waiting on the registration and tags so I can drive all legal-like. In the mean time I am transitioning to preventative maintenance and passing VA State Inspection.

The car sat in a garage for the better part of 10 years, not driven, before I bought it. So I am thinking it MIGHT be a smart idea to go on ahead and get to replacing the belts and hoses. I have looked down under the hood at the front part of the engine and I am seeing something like 17 different belts down there (and one of them looks like one of my dad's old belts!)

So I am wondering if there is a site or shop (or a site related to a shop) that sells a package deal on belts and/or hoses for us smart guys that just want to go ahead and replace them all at once?

If not, I can order them from RockAuto I guess but I want to be sure I order ALL of the ones I need in the correct sizes. Everything up there looks pretty stock so I just need all of the stock sizes. What am I looking at? Fan, A/C, power steering, water pump, alternator...all individual belts?

In terms of hoses - I know upper and lower radiator hose, Power steering hose, heater hose, A/C hose, Fuel and brake lines are already done. Anything else?

Thanks for the help guys!

Never seen a package deal. If you can find the A/C belts as a matched set that'll be what you want. I haven't seen a matched set in years, good luck to you.

Did I tell you about the 68 Chrysler Newport 2 door fast top with the 383 cu in engine and the Edelbrock 750 4 bbl carburetor I recently bought???

Alright...So I am waiting on the registration and tags so I can drive all legal-like. In the mean time I am transitioning to preventative maintenance and passing VA State Inspection.

The car sat in a garage for the better part of 10 years, not driven, before I bought it. So I am thinking it MIGHT be a smart idea to go on ahead and get to replacing the belts and hoses. I have looked down under the hood at the front part of the engine and I am seeing something like 17 different belts down there (and one of them looks like one of my dad's old belts!)

So I am wondering if there is a site or shop (or a site related to a shop) that sells a package deal on belts and/or hoses for us smart guys that just want to go ahead and replace them all at once?

If not, I can order them from RockAuto I guess but I want to be sure I order ALL of the ones I need in the correct sizes. Everything up there looks pretty stock so I just need all of the stock sizes. What am I looking at? Fan, A/C, power steering, water pump, alternator...all individual belts?

In terms of hoses - I know upper and lower radiator hose, Power steering hose, heater hose, A/C hose, Fuel and brake lines are already done. Anything else?

Thanks for the help guys!

Buy Gates or Dayco belts and avoid the china crap at Carcap and Autobone. The belts should all have numbers, replace them with belts with the same numbers, package sets are not available.

Dave

I used to cut thousands of Mopar replacement belts at the Goodyear Plant that I worked, the ones that the Mopar dealer had hanging back in the parts. They were the correct narrow belts that most of our Mopars used. The matched sets for the AC applications were matched to .030" tolerance. Probably 95% of you people have the wrong belts on your car, because very few of these narrow belts are manufactured anymore. These Mopar belts were premium belts.
I have some that are 30 years old and I use them before I buy the crap belts that are available today. When everyone is out and about at car shows or whatever notice how many belts sit up out of the pulley. They are supposed to sit flush with the top edge of the pulley.

As a 68 Chrysler owner, I use Goodyear gatorback belts. Now renamed Continental Elite.
They do sit into the grooves and no squeal.
Np packagecdeals but sold individually.
Got Dayco hoses.
Hope this helps

Buy Gates or Dayco belts

As a 68 Chrysler owner, I use (...) Continental Elite (...). Got Dayco hoses.

Two weeks late to the party, what did you get in the end? I have Gates on both of my fusie Dodges. Several thousand miles overall and no issue yet. Here is a photo taken yesterday by @71Polara383 showing how they sit in Medina, my 1971 Monaco.

upload_2020-6-20_8-56-35.jpeg

Here is a photo from a year ago (before the engine was cleaned and repainted), showing a different angle.

resized_20190612_193131-jpg.jpg

Back