Bending/adjusting lower radiator support 74 Monaco

jason99

Reaction score
The lower radiator support on my Monaco is tweaked and the bend is preventing me from dropping in a new radiator because it impacts the lower tank. I was thinking the easiest way to bend this back would be to put a jack in between the frame and the radiator support and crank it a little bit until I get it back inline. Is this a dumb idea? Is there a better way?

Diagram:
radiatorSupport3.jpg

put your jack on the peak of the crease and it should work. make sure it doesn't slip.

I would use a screw jack for this operation as most hydraulic jacks will not work when on their side. This should work ok, use a block of wood against the core support to spread the load and take the evaporator core loose before you start trying to bend anything as evap cores are sometimes brittle and could break a tube if tweaked. Go in small increments with the jacking so you do not crease the core support channel at a stress point.

Dave

I’m curious as to how that got bent like that. Did it take a hit from below? Typically the best way to straighten a part like that would be to push or pull it in the opposite direction that caused the damage. Those supports are also bolted on the bottom, you might need to loosen the bolts up and then use the jack to set it back into place.

B4D1C0AA-6C9A-41EC-A5F0-6A6EA8D03986.jpeg
I got the car like this so I can only speculate based on the damage. It does look like it was hit from front/below on the passenger side.

I think you are correct that I will need to unbolt the lower support as well as the one in the middle to encourage it to flex.

I borrowed the jack from my 05 GTO and it couldn't have been a more perfect size. A few cranks once it was snug and the support let me get the new radiator in.

IMG_1135.JPG
IMG_1138.JPG

Hey you got it, nice job! Haven't seen your thread in a while, how's it coming along?

It's still coming along. I've been paused for a bit waiting on the rebuilt brake booster and other brake parts, but that should all be arriving over the next couple weeks. I've been hesitant to start any of the non-brake work stuff for fear of losing this war to whatever my car's equivalent is to the Eastern Front. Also hoping to get some cooling and radiator related things done and posted by next weekend.

Back