Best jacking and jack stand points?

Fishfan

Reaction score
I've seen pics of cars jacked up using the differential as jacking point. Is this kosher? Where should I jack the car and set the jack stands when working on rear brakes? Front brakes?

Car is a 1966 Polara not that it should matter.

I have used the rear housing, the forward spring mounting area, any flat stable on the front frame

In the front, on the frame near the wheel well opening. The rears, near the front leaf spring perch. I feel it's easier to lift the car up wheel by wheel in the rear and then jack up the car in the front by using the front crossmember under the oil pan. Then install both fronts at the same time.

Screenshot from 2014-08-22 15:45:26.jpg

Well that worked like crap..

v03e930pxd90293fg.jpg

Screenshot from 2014-08-22 15:45:26.jpg

Jackstands are your friends. Always use or die
re hydraulic jacks you must remember that all tha is holding up hydraulic jack and 4000lb car is a little rubber O ring...play safe use jackstands

In the front, on the frame near the wheel well opening. The rears, near the front leaf spring perch. I feel it's easier to lift the car up wheel by wheel in the rear and then jack up the car in the front by using the front crossmember under the oil pan. Then install both fronts at the same time.

Don't you just push some buttons. JK.

Although not a c body, I have them under my 68 Barracuda. Frame in front near wheel well. In the back, they were under the axele tubes. I had to drop the entire rear end so I moved them up to the rear frame rails, in front of the rear wheel well, and the car popped a wheely on me. I couldn't put them further back because the frame area in the back is higher than these 6 ton jack stands will reach. Learned a lesson. Be careful and like everyone says, use jacks stands

Stan has it right in those pics. I use jack stands with 2x4 or 2x6 on top to help spread the load. I use the same spots that Stan pictured. I jack the front up under the center of the sub frame. And the back under the rear diff.

Although not a c body, I have them under my 68 Barracuda. Frame in front near wheel well. In the back, they were under the axele tubes. I had to drop the entire rear end so I moved them up to the rear frame rails, in front of the rear wheel well, and the car popped a wheely on me. I couldn't put them further back because the frame area in the back is higher than these 6 ton jack stands will reach. Learned a lesson. Be careful and like everyone says, use jacks stands

I had the front clip off my 69 CHP car, I had to keep buckets of scrap metal on the front floor board so I could work in the trunk.
Same thing, the jackstands were not quite tall enough to get the rear of the body rails.

Alan

Stan has it right in those pics. I use jack stands with 2x4 or 2x6 on top to help spread the load. I use the same spots that Stan pictured. I jack the front up under the center of the sub frame. And the back under the rear diff.

Stan's front pic isn't in the center.

I had a really rusty SFGT that was given to me for parts. It looked really good until I looked underneath and the rear leaf spring shackle had pushed up through the trunk.

I jacked up the car right on this spot and the car came crashing down. I thought the jack had slipped but then I noticed the rear seat was sitting up about a foot off the floor. This section of frame had collapsed and the jack came right up through the floor!

Lesson here... Those sections are the best jacking spots... but a rusty car is a rusty car and nothing is good.

Jack standz? Anybody 'sidez me ever use 6"X8"X15" wolmanized wood timberz. 8 footerz run less then $20 and the lumber yard where I live will make the cuts for yeah. Two 8 footerz plus the cost of the cutz and your stacking possibilities for different elevationz are almost endless...BTW, It doesn't work the same with 6"X6"X 8's. I've used those 15" blockz for holding ah Kenworth in the air too. Try that with $50 worth of 3 ton jack standz

I was going to fill my jack with oil. and thought i'd look at the seals. Both my seals had cracks in them. Had to replace all. So don't leave your car up on a jack, you never know when it will give out. By the way it still worked with the cracked seals.

I do Jer, I have jack stands also but the timber is excellent for getting height and more stable.

Back