Best kit for axle bearings, etc.

Stormer

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Sup Boys,

Had a leaking diff in the 66 300 so I started pulling stuff apart & found that both axle seals are also leaking.

Looking for recommendations for a good kit that has bearings, seals, pinion seal, etc.

Thanks in advance.

I looked at kits and the like and ended up buying the pieces from Rock Auto. I was sure of what brands and actually the price was cheaper overall.

Stay with Timken bearings and you can't go wrong. It probably doesn't make as much difference with inner seals, but National seals are good. DMT has the outer seals.

IMG_0606.jpg
Thanks, guys. Dana or no?

It's on the side of the rear end housing (center section) and I think it's on the driver's side. Raised numbers in the casting. Make sure you have the tools and knowledge necessary if you pull the pinion nut.

The 741 and 742 are easy. The 489 requires some specialized tools. You have to measure the turning torque on the yoke and set it back to same amount to be sure the preload is set right. Otherwise it has to come all the way apart and new crush sleeve installed.
The 741/742 just remove yoke and replace torquing it to factory number.

The 741 and 742 are easy. The 489 requires some specialized tools. You have to measure the turning torque on the yoke and set it back to same amount to be sure the preload is set right. Otherwise it has to come all the way apart and new crush sleeve installed.
The 741/742 just remove yoke and replace torquing it to factory number.
Being a '66, chances are it's not a 489.... unless someone swapped in a newer center section... which is always possible.

Being a '66, chances are it's not a 489.... unless someone swapped in a newer center section... which is always possible.
My 1966 440 new yorker has been in the family since new and has a 489 case in it.

Back