Best place to get switched 12V?

Stormer

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Has to be hot under cranking & has to be full 12V.

Thanks in advance.

Pull the fuse block out. There should be a place to tap for switched and non-switched. That's good as a source to switch a relay and not as a source for power for the pump etc.

On the bottom (top?) of the block, there should be two buss bars that feed the fuses. One is switched and one isn't.

Looks something like this.

s-l1600.jpg

You can find a live ignition source (both start and run together) at the bulkhead. I believe it's blue but I'd probe the wires to be sure. What ever color goes to the voltage regulator or alternator field is the one you want. You will surely need two relays, one 30A for the pump and one 15-20A for the TBI. Read the instructions carefully if your unit supports a fuel pump, cooling fans and A/C. These supply wires trigger voltage to relays only and should not be connected to the loads directly. All heavy sources of 12 volts should be directly off the battery ( just like MSD components) and fused accordingly. It is wise to install a separate proprietory ignition relay because it's very easy to overload the ignition circuit. Although there is usually only the coil,distributor, start relay, alternator and ballast on this circuit, the feed wire is quite a light gauge. A dedicated "ignition feed only" relay offers the opportunity to control other relays downstream for future expansion and takes the load off the existing ignition wire. It too will require a dedicated feed and fuse from battery source which is easy to connect to the battery terminal at the starter.

Last edited:
I like Big_John suggestion for a source, but like he suggested run that pump off a relay. Use this as the power supply for the relay coil and go direct to a battery source for the pump supply and you know the drill..... Pic's please.

Rather than tap into wiring harnesses and such for a feed wire, might this be a situation where a dual terminal battery might be used? Use the top terminals as they already are, use the side terminals to build the relayed harnesses you perceive the need for. Either inline fuses or a dedicated fuse block, fuses, and relays for the EFI? Not unlike what the high-power boom-box sound system people might use. I never did really like tapping into old wiring harnesses unless absolutely necessary, personally. Using the added harnesses without disturbing existing ones.

CBODY67

I have the same issue.I need cranking/run 12v source for a Holley blue top.Just need the wire to fire a relay.Can I use dark blue at ignition switch?

Back