Best shocks for Formal's?

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out which shock absorbers that I want to install on my 78 NY'er. Right now it sways and bounces like an out of control Titanic. I just called KYB and they recommend the Gas-A-Just KG4528 shock for the front which will give the best cornering, braking, and straight line bump control for the NY'er without it feeling like it's a tank. I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on shocks?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...b_19171018-p?navigationPath=L1*14921|L2*15010

I keep experimenting with as cheap as I dare go shocks.
You'd think I would finally learn my lesson now...
I hope that's the answer you're looking for.

I talked to the KYB Tech for awhile this morning. He explained the difference between the design and performance of the factory designed shock and both the shocks KYB offered. I'm going to try those KYB Gas-A Just shocks.

I have KYB's up front. I had them out back also, but one went defective (the rubber grommet up top became loose and fell out) and they gave me a hard time about replacing it even though it was under warranty. They finally sent me a check....and I bought a pair of Monroe shocks to replace them. No problems since.

I never have warranty problems with those kind of parts and wear parts..........Good relationship with AAP/NAPA/AZ. They'll warranty everything I bring them, then again I don't have a lot of warranty issues.

I had to complain all the way to someone at KYB corporate to get satisfaction, over a small little part.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet on how far even the most customer driven company can feasibly go.

Great choice. Spend the money on the last shocks you'll ever need on that car.

I believe so too. I have to weld the ride height adjusting bracket for the rear shocks. If that doesn't fix the rear shock problem..........I'll just pull the rear shocks (and keep them) and put KYB's in the rear too.

I had to complain all the way to someone at KYB corporate to get satisfaction, over a small little part.

I would find another local store that takes care of customers and warranties? WTF was the problem with the shock that they wouldn't warranty it?

I would find another local store that takes care of customers and warranties? WTF was the problem with the shock that they wouldn't warranty it?

The shock more or less feel apart. The rubber grommet at the top of the shock somehow, someway came dislodged and fell out. I started getting metal on metal "clanking" noise when going over bumps. I got the one shock that came out of the factory that was defected (of course). Anyways they warranty the part for one year. This happened within the warranty window. I did not cause it. The shock was the correct part no. for my car. I want my money back.

I hope you haven't set foot in that POS store again!!!!

I usually try to get all my stuff from Jegs or Summit Racing.....sometimes Autozone. There is one Autozone near me where I drop spent oil off. The parts desk manager is a good guy and knowledgeable, owns a 351 Mustang.

Back