Best sounding exhaust mufflers

Reaction score
Hello everyone I currently have swapped my comp cam to the Hughes whiplash cam for low compression 440 for my 79 440 out of a rv my car is now choppy which i like but I currently have glasspack cherry bombs on it and tbh I’m not really feeling it anymore. Any recommendations for getting a semi loud sound with little to no drone sound? I have looked into black widow, flowmaster, magnaflow, HighFlo Performance / Sweet Thunder Exhaust.

Type in muffler preference on Youtube and you may hear what you want also, check the manufacture website for audio files.

I like the reproduction mopar B Body Hemi mufflers best on my C's.

With all due respect, I got really tired of hearing 5.0L Mustangs with Flowmasters on them. That distinctive sound might sound good, but to me it became a reason NOT to use them on anything I have. I vote for either Walkers, Street Hemi repros, or MagnaFlows, personally. A light burble at idle and a bit louder at WOT, but that's just me.

Respectfully,
CBODY67

I never liked glass packs of any type personally.
I like chambered mufflers and turbo style, different reasons to use. The YouTube idea is a good one.
2.5" pipe is probably your best compromise for deep sound but less noise/drone. I have 3" on fury and charger

By observation, trying to find "that desired sound" can be frustrating. Cam choices, intake manifold choices, compression ratio, and pipe diameter can all affect the sounds which happen. Which CAN be a reason to go to cruise events to listen and see what you might like and go from there. To me, hard to beat a factory system with an OEM replacement nuffler or a "performance replacement" version of that orig muffler. Listening to some of the website sounds on computer speakers might not be the best thing to listen to from my experiences.

What I DID run across was a PowerNation TV segment on Cherry Bomb mufflers, normal mufflers and glass packs. They had a mule motor on the dyno and put the mufflers onto that exhaust system, then checked the sound level and dyno horsepower. Quite interesting for such a short segment!

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I put in dual Flowmaster 50s in this summer. No h or X pipe just straight 2.5 from stock manifolds off the 440 down either side. The depth and resonance is insane and that's with a stock engine. It's like you can hear each side of the engine talking to each other in a big boy voice only 440s have...puts firmament in my neither region every time I warm up the car, just sayin.

Engine Masters have done some great episodes on pipe diameter and mufflers. It's worth the subscription price to understand what's what before you spend hundreds or thousands on exhaust.
And the crappy sounding mufflers did significantly better on power, unfortunately.

For my 69 Fury III 440 when I got the car I told my muffler/racer guy I wanted a full rich fat sounding exhaust with no tinny twangy high partials in it. {It had blown out glass packs that sounded like ****} I also said I don't want it to sound like every Challenger/Cuda I see at car shows ,which means no Flowmasters. Nothing against Flowmasters as they are a classic sound I personally hear too often. He gave me a set of Magnaflows and I couldn't be happier even years later. I will be very interested how they sound with my 512 ci stroker when installed.

20190908_163611.jpg

Last edited:
i do not know what they would sound like on a c-body but i have slp loudmouth 1 on my 01 mustang.

Did 3 C's with the TTi system that included the Dynomax Super Turbo's.
Stock cam or choppy cam they sound great.
As I said before, exhaust wheels and tires boils down to personal taste despite many great suggestions.
BoaB november 2017 003.JPG

FB_IMG_1629949235325.jpg

Last edited:
Back