Best way to remove Old paint from body and panels?

'69FuryIIIConvertible

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Working on getting the car ready for my body man, he wants the car by the end of April If I want it back for the middle of may.

So whats the easiest and best way to remove the many (MANY) old paint jobs and get it to bare steel.

Nick

The easiest way to remove alot of paint from a car is soda blasting. It won't do much for removing rust or undercating but for paint on the body panels it works great. Does not generate heat like sandblasting so it won't warp panels. I have a guy that comes to my shop and does it. I had him do two cars for me this week. It runs about 6-7 hundred per car but you asked for the easiest not the cheapest. LOL.

I've used soda blasting once before at my place. Effective but makes a big damn mess. After that I had only flat panels to do so I went back to my 7" 3M stripping discs that I use on my Makita 9227. Could also use good quality 80 grit hook and loop sand paper discs on a rotary tool at around 1000 rpm.

Chris, where can I get a 8 oz or 11 oz can of PB3 Cadet Blue touch up paint for my 78 NYB. I have a couple of spots on my car that needs immediate attention that I need to sand down, primer, and get some paint on. I can't get my car in for bodywork and paint until next year. He is too busy to get to me. I'm looking elsewhere for bodywork and paint.

Chris, where can I get a 8 oz or 11 oz can of PB3 Cadet Blue touch up paint for my 78 NYB. I have a couple of spots on my car that needs immediate attention that I need to sand down, primer, and get some paint on. I can't get my car in for bodywork and paint until next year. He is too busy to get to me. I'm looking elsewhere for bodywork and paint.
If you go to a local body shop suplier they should be able to mix it up by the color code. For a temporary repair most of them can put it in a spray can for you. It does seem like since most shops won't work on old cars the ones that do are busy.

Thanks Chris, I may know of a commercial shop/ paint supplier that may do that for me.

I even had one paint shop that could analyze the paint to mix it better fitting for the aged paint. Still a slight difference but better than using just the original formula. Used to know an old paint guy at a shop in the 80s who mixed it just with eyesight and experience and it fitted more or less a hundred percent.

I've used soda blasting once before at my place. Effective but makes a big damn mess. After that I had only flat panels to do so I went back to my 7" 3M stripping discs that I use on my Makita 9227. Could also use good quality 80 grit hook and loop sand paper discs on a rotary tool at around 1000 rpm.

Have to give the 3M stripping discs a try, I looked into the Soda blasting, guy wants $900 and he'd have the car for a month, My whole bodywork is only going to cost $300

Have to give the 3M stripping discs a try, I looked into the Soda blasting, guy wants $900 and he'd have the car for a month, My whole bodywork is only going to cost $300
A MONTH!!! My guy did a 71 Dart Swinger and a Volkswagon "Thing" in a day and a half.

If you are doing it yourself the stripping discs is a good approach and cost effect. It will actually go pretty quick. Wear a good respirator even outside you are taking off some nasty stuff.

Are you talking about these:

60440187858.jpg

These have a politically very incorrect name in German body shops.

Already toned down and only as an entry of the urban dictonary, you would translate them into Black Cookies.
That is how the vast majority "in the shop" refers to it without any ernest derogatory feelings towards this group of people.

They actually use the Ne-word over here, think this is already non pc now a days, seems to change every couple of years. Not that fanatic over here but we'll gradually catch up.

Back