Wonderwagon

Reaction score
Just saw The Fastest Indian, one of the best motor sport movies. My top Five:

Grand Prix -James Garner
Lemans -Steve McQueen
The Fastest Indian- Anthony Hopkins
Days of Thunder -Tom Cruise
The Racers -Kurt Douglas

I was thinking sanctioned events, but overall automotive related is good, Vanishing point, made me think Challengers are the coolest muscle car, Bullitt, best car chase, guess add in Smoky and the Bandit, Made TA's cool, made me also buy a Firebird, hmm subliminal marketing ploy working on me?

I haven't seen any of those movies that detailed/highlighted real racing events, but I wanted to, just never found time because I'd watch the Blues Brothers for the seven hundredth time. Been meaning to watch Dirty Mary Crazy Larry for almost a year, DVR usually wins out. I'll have to get some more movies to add to my collection.

The French Connection, The Seven Ups, Bullitt at the top of my list, and not necessarily in that order. All done by the great Bill Hickman.

Agree with these.
More currently I would ad the movie Rush. The Nikki Lauda and James Hunt story was interesting with great racing footage.

All great movies seen most multiple times. I had to look up the Blues Brothers car wrecks, after watching it for the umpteenth time.

103 cars destroyed in the 1980 film, 104 cars destroyed in Blues Brothers 2000. Blues Brothers held the record for the most cars smashed until its own sequel deliberately destroyed just one more. For the 1980 film's main chase, 60 police cars were bought for $400 a piece, and outfitted with reinforced chassis.

A lot of movies with great car chases but for race films I’ll go with Lemans, Grand Prix and Rush.

IMG_1178.JPG
Gumball Rally is a good one.

Last edited:
That scene of those two cars driving through the night is great.
Whats the “First rule of Italian driving”?

number5.jpg

I only saw it once, "The Lively Set", (1964). No one was ever thanking the academy for this but it featured a Chrysler Turbine car.

IMG_1179.JPG
View attachment 273321
Gumball Rally is a good one.
That scene of those two cars driving through the night is great.
Whats the “First rule of Italian driving”?
”...what’s behind me is not important!” The opening scenes coming out of the garage and roaring through the streets of NYC (the two cops watching them “it’s gonna be a nice day”) really sets up the rest of the movie.

the 1974 gone in 60 seconds
the cannonball run movies were pretty good too

Back