Big Blue, the 67 Crown Coupe - Managing Director Edition

My doctors gave me the "OK to go, but you're taking a risk" lecture about driving Big Blue to Pacific Grove for the cruise-in next week. Unless something goes bad with me or the car, Mary and I will make the 450-mile round trip. I'll take some pictures and post them. Meanwhile, Big Blue has her own website:
The grid

Have you been searching for the lamp that plugs into the lighter?

Have you been searching for the lamp that plugs into the lighter?

I'm keeping my eyes open for one. The last one I made from parts went missing. I think somebody "borrowed" it. I'm building another one this weekend by cannibalizing flex-neck map lights. Although it won't look exactly like the original, it will use much less power because of its LED elements. I'll post a photo when it's done.
BTW, if anybody here knows where I can buy an original lamp, even a broken one, please advise.

Took Big Blue to Cars & Coffee in Folsom, CA this AM. There was only one other C body among over 100 cars. Here are the pics:
C&C 12 AUG 2.jpg
C&C 12 AUG 1.jpg
C&C 12 AUG 3.jpg
C&C 12 AUG 4.jpg

Hello, all.

We're back from Monterey and 500 miles of driving Big Blue. No problems -- gas mileage with AC on full was 12 MPG. The valet at Pebble Beach parked my car in the circle in front of the Lodge. Note the $400K Porsche Ruf CTR2 in the foreground.

Ruf n Blue.jpg
Buick.jpg
Dragster.jpg
Nash 2.jpg
Nash.jpg
Nash Rat.jpg

No valet is touching any of my classics unless I saw that he/she wasn't a millennial and even then...
I do love a road trip in my Imperial though!

No valet is touching any of my classics unless I saw that he/she wasn't a millennial and even then...
I do love a road trip in my Imperial though!

Matt; The valet was an older gentleman who obviously appreciated the Imp.

Everybody; Thanks for your kind remarks.

Here's a pic of the most recent 12V table lamp I've modified for Big Blue. I opened up the 1967 Tensor lamp, then disconnected the transformer and inverter. I wired the lamp cord directly to the wall plug cord. I cut the wall plug off the cord and soldered the bare ends into a cigarette lighter plug. Works fine. I also have an LED goose-neck lamp (like the one I made that went missing a few months ago) that I'm trying to connect to a lighter plug. The problem with that is making the new connection strong enough to take bending forces.
Table Lamp.jpg

I hope this means you did NOT have to sell Big Blue? I sure hope so. The light looks terrific AND correct. I think the Tensor light is as close as you could come to the original (which I suspect was just a slightly modified Tensor light to begin with, but please don't quote me on that), no better place to take care of bills, etc.

Back