Big road bump in the Stub Frame project..

mr. fix it

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I have run into a big bump in the road for my Stub Frame project that everyone has been following.
My Poly 318 is in need of a total rebuild to make it proper.
I was hoping for a cleaning & re-seal of the engine but
The mains & con bearings are worn.
There is babbitt in the oil pump pick up which looks to be from the main thrust bearing
The cam is done.
Compression was done in 2 cylinders @90psi pumping up when I added oil to 120psi which is across the board for the rest of the engine

For a correct rebuild it is estimated at $3,500 max with an estimated low end of $2500...
The $3500 covers balancing, blueprinting, decking the block & heads, new pistons, boring, etc - the whole 9 yards
the $2500 & under version is the basics.

I know I can get away with not balancing or the blueprinting
This is going to put a big dent in the project.

Most 318 poly owner's in the area think their old rusty looking engines with 70,xxx + miles are worth the world & to buy a used one is a crap shoot.

I may just clean the engine as best as possible and put it back together for now and rebuild it another year.
It's the perfect time mechanically to do it now with the front end off but I just really don't have the funds for this right now.

Any thoughts on how I should approach this?

I want to approach this with a level head here, not just wanting to vent about it.

I'm not going to run out & break the bank or scrap the car just because of this:) - Thx

Last edited:
In addition, the engine shop has a rebuilt 440 that they are wanting to sell but this option is far too expensive, they want $4000 for the engine plus I would have to bear the cost of changing the carb, exhaust, transmission., this list is far beyond what I could justify for this car.

Sounds like a great opportunity to learn how to do most of it yourself. You could tear it down and have a machine shop do the heavy stuff like checking the crank for cracks, boring or honing the cylinders, etc. Get advise on the correct parts, pistons, rings, bearings, seals and assemble the whole thing yourself. It's pretty much color by numbers with the right manual, and there are plenty of experienced people here answer questions.

Another question, does the head need to have hardened seats for the valves for the unleaded gasoline that is used today?
That seemed to be a big topic back when leaded gas was phased out

I'd like to know that for sure myself, I'll be doing the 440 sometime next year, but I would guess yes for a daily driver, and no for a parade/local show car.

You have almost too much on your platter to already have to deal with. At this point I would have thrown up my hands and just order a new mild small block crate engine and throw it on the CC and block it out of my memory of what you just did to the finances.
Screw it. It has to be done or everything up to now was a waste.

Last edited:
I haven't read your stub frame thread in a while... where are you now? You're not imminently ready to bolt everything back together are you? If not, you have some time to see how things shake out.

Do you have a deadline for getting this done? I like the suggestion of doing it yourself. Pull it, disassemble it, and have the block and crank checked. You can probably rebuild it yourself for something closer to $1500. It will mean that your project stretches out some, but if you're rebuilding a stub frame, you're not afraid to get in and get the work done.

I haven't read your stub frame thread in a while... where are you now? You're not imminently ready to bolt everything back together are you? If not, you have some time to see how things shake out.

Do you have a deadline for getting this done? I like the suggestion of doing it yourself. Pull it, disassemble it, and have the block and crank checked. You can probably rebuild it yourself for something closer to $1500. It will mean that your project stretches out some, but if you're rebuilding a stub frame, you're not afraid to get in and get the work done.
Hi.
My expected completed date is end of May

Is that just when you're expecting it, or are you up against a reason it has to be done? If you're going to keep the car for many years, it might be worth while to miss part (or all) of your summer, and have it ready to go for years to come.

This is when I would like it to be on the road again. I am open to extending this but not for very long :)

I understand what needs doing, I just have to win the lottery! :D

Maybe I could get a loaner/donor engine for the summer...:thinker:

As far as what you find on CL, there ain't a 440 out there that should be bought more than a bare block needing machining

Back