Bigmoparjeff's collection of mostly big Mopars

bigmoparjeff

Reaction score
Greetings Ladies and Gents. :welcome:

Grab a bowl of popcorn, 'cause this is going to be a long one. :popcorn:

I'm sitting at home on New Year's eve by myself because it's too cold outside for the old diesel Suburban to start, so I can't go to my friend's house for New Year's like I usually do. Misfortune brings opportunity, so it's the perfect time to re-do the posting that I had on Dry Dock several years ago. This time there will be more info and lots of additional pictures. Most of the older pictures are scans of 35mm slides or photos, so the quality isn't the best, as I didn't get a digital camera until 2004. For some of the cars, I just never took many photos, so I may add new ones next time I have everything out to re-shuffle the car barn. I would also like to add fender tag pics for all the cars when I can.

The C-Body bug bit me very early, somewhere around ten years old. In the mid 1970's there was a TV show on one of the major networks about stunt driving. They used two cars throughout the show, I think a 1966 Chevy Bel Air and a 1966 Newport coupe. Of course, neither car fared well by the end of the show, the Chevy going up in flames, and the Newport jumping what seemed like a couple hundred feet into a lake, but the style of the Newport made a lasting impression. Some years later a '67 Newport coupe parked at a local repair shop caught my eye, and I was really honing in on the '67s. Back then, I hadn't yet found much reference material, so I wasn't even sure what years the cars were that I liked. The book I had, Tad Burness' infamous American Car Spotter's Guide, stopped at 1965. It wasn't until 1980 that I found the Consumer Guide Car Spotters Guide that covered the late '60s and '70s, and then the Standard Catalog of American Cars in 1981. I then knew that a 1967 New Yorker 4 door hardtop was what I wanted. It was love at first sight when I saw the picture. Though it's black and white, I believe it's the gold car that Chrysler used in some of their advertising. :wideyed:

1967 NY promo.JPG

I started car shopping at age 14 and did manage to look at a couple '67 New Yorkers for sale, but my father was too slow on the green one and it sold quickly, as it should have with an asking price of $300. We test drove the blue sedan, but my father didn't like the way the transmission shifted. That one was at a small used car dealer that specialized in C-Body Mopars for $795.

67 NY 4drHT dk green 1.JPG

67 NY SED blue 1.JPG

Another year and a half passes, and no more '67 New Yorkers for sale. I looked at some fusies and formals, but none of them did the trick. It's now December, 1982 and my 16th birthday is less than four months away. The plan had been to get a car sooner, so that I would have time to fix it up, but the pickings were slim. You young guys probably think these cars were everywhere back in the 1980's, but that really wasn't the case, at least not on the east coast. The people who had the good ones were still holding on to them, and much of what came up for sale was fairly rough, just old used cars that people just didn't want to spend any more money on. My Sunday morning ritual was to tear into the classified section of the two Philadelphia papers as soon as I got home from Church, and this time there was a new add for a 1966 New Yorker coupe. Not exactly what I was looking for, but it said it was "Loaded", and that was enough to make it worth calling about. The car was about 15 minutes away, sitting at an Arco station in Trevose, PA. After breakfast we met the owner there to look at the car. We were in a warm spell and temps were in the '60's, which was nice for doing anything outside. The car was on the rough side, black with one green fender, a surface rusted hood, and ripped vinyl on the left C-pillar. I would have walked away if it wasn't for two things: This car was loaded with options that I never saw before, including the TNT engine with dual exhaust, which sounded cool, and boy did it scoot. Normally, my father would have said "no way" based on the appearance of the car, but I think he was even more enthralled by how quick the car was than even I was. His current car was a 1981 Olds Delta 88 with the 3.8 V6, which was brutally slow, and you can spot our Pinto in many of the pics too. $400 changed hands and it was mine, $395 for the car and $5 for factory service manual. The New Yorker had been sitting in the previous owner's back yard for seven years, and was going to need a thorough go-through before being ready for service.

66 NY Coupe 17.JPG

66 NY Coupe 21.JPG

66 NY Coupe 20.JPG

66 NY Coupe 25.JPG

My Chrysler had a rough life before I purchased it. The previous owner's wife was responsible for the green fender. The rest of the front end was off of a silver car from another accident in the past, so the green fender may be the third left fender on the car. The quarters and right door had plenty of plastic, filling up various scrapes and dents. You could see the shadow of a hose clamp on the steering column, where there used to be a tachometer mounted. When I cleaned the engine, I was pleasantly surprised to find a set of factory chrome valve covers hidden under the muck, along with a "Holley flanged" intake and larger AFB off of a 1967 HP engine. I think the guy I bought it from was responsible for the go-fast goodies, and it's likely that it started collecting dents while it was pretty new. Combining the power of Google with the Certicard, we get a good idea of why the car had a hard life.

66 NY Coupe 20.JPG

66 NY Coupe 11.JPG

66 NY Coupe 12.JPG

The original home for my car would have been where the car with the blue cover is parked. The narrow streets of South Philly, aren't the safest place for a car to be if you want it to stay nice. It then went out of the state for a while and was re-titled in PA in 1975, so it's unknown how many owners it's had, but all that damage was done in only nine years on the road before the PO parked it in his back yard. Pretty much everything still worked when I got the car, but it didn't take long for the seven years of sitting to start taking it's toll, as the power window motors died one by one, the speedometer broke, the HVAC mode doors were jamming up, and eventually the oil pump failed. I didn't drive the car much because there was no gasoline that would satisfy it's need for octane. Once the engine got warm, the pinging was terrible, even with the timing backed off and two water injectors installed. Later on, disassembly of the engine showed a thick layer of carbon on the pistons, raising the compression ratio and glowing red hot all the time. The New Yorker was relegated to short trips, and the rest of my driving was done in the yellow Pinto wagon until I bought a '76 Cutlass a couple years later.

Last edited:
66 NY Coupe 22.JPG

66 NY Coupe 23.JPG

66 NY Coupe 2.JPG

66 NY Coupe 3.JPG

I didn't have the New Yorker long before I bought my first "parts car". At the time a replacement hood would have cost $75 to $100 at the local junk yards, so when I saw this '66 Newport advertised in one of the Penny Shopper papers for $99, I couldn't pass it up. It was on Gold Brand Subaru's back lot with a bunch of other beat-up cars. Somebody stole some parts off the Newport, so I had to borrow a few things off the New Yorker to get it home. Although it doesn't look too bad in the pic, it's pretty bad. 233K miles, a hole in the trunk floor that you could crawl through, pillows stuffed in the huge holes in the seats, and lots of rust.

66 NY Coupe 5.JPG

I had the failing oil pump replaced at the gas station where I was working at the time, but it was too late, and one of the lifters was taking forever to pump up. I decided to try installing new lifters myself. During the disassembly process, a friend of mine dropped a nut down in the engine, and not knowing a lot about engines at the time, I concluded that the engine should come out to find the missing nut. I also took the dash and HVAC box out to fix those problems. That was the end of it's on-road duty, some time in 1984. I drove the Cutlass through my remaining year of school, and didn't the oil pump fail on that car coming home from the final school day of my senior year. Now I had two broken cars.

66 NY Coupe 14.JPG

I found a 1966 Imperial for sale for $400 only a 1/2 mile from where I bought the New Yorker. I drove that while I fixed the engine in the Cutlass. I had plans to do a lot of work on the Imperial in school until it was totaled by an out of control Pinto while it was parked in front of my house.

66 Imperial 4drHT dk blue 1.JPG

The New Yorker now became the school project. That's when I found all the hidden damage on the body that needed to be fixed. The only original bolt-on panel left on the car is the driver's door, the rest has been replaced, some parts multiple times. I was never happy with the black, so I decided to paint it white. I brought it back home in the fall of '86. In the summer of '87 I color sanded and buffed the car, then started re-assembly.

66 NY Coupe 9.JPG

66 NY Coupe 10.JPG

66 NY Coupe 13.JPG

Last edited:
66 NY Coupe 8.JPG

66 NY Coupe 7.JPG

Can anybody guess what happened to my "garage" the first time it snowed?

66 NY Coupe 26.JPG

After it was buffed out it looked great, but during the following winter, bad things started to happen to the paint. Many of the panels developed thousands of tiny blisters in the paint, but it didn't happen everywhere. I never figured out what went wrong, but it really bummed me out, and I couldn't see going any further with re-assembly considering that it would have to be stripped back down to bare metal again. I ended up buying a 1965 GMC pickup in 1988 that turned into a way more involved project that I ever intended and the New Yorker got set aside until I would be ready to do it all over again, which 30 years later, hasn't happened yet. I will do it over, and better, and it won't be white. May be bronze or brown, or I could decide to go back to black.

65 GMC 1.JPG

65 GMC 2.JPG

Now it sits in the back corner of the car barn, patiently waiting for a third chance at getting back on the road again.
66 NY Coupe 28.JPG

Here's the particulars on the car:
Approx 95K miles
440 TNT
3.23 Sure Grip
Heavy duty suspension and brakes
A/C & Tinted glass
Rear seat heater
Power windows, vents, seat, trunk and locks
Auto pilot
AM/FM with reverberator and pwr antenna
Twilight Sentinel
Purchase price $400

That's how it all got started. C-Bodies are like Lays potato chips: You can't have just one.

The rest of the fleet will be in order of model year, not in order of acquiring them, and not nearly as much detail as on this one.

Jeff

Last edited:
1966 New Yorker 4drHT

I bought this back in '93 or '94 at Chryslers at Carlisle to get the bucket seat interior for my coupe. I have a '66 bench that can go in. The body is much rougher than it looks in the pictures. I think the only straight panels are the hood and roof, and it has the usual rust hiding under the lower trim. It came from Maryland, but I don't have complete history on it. It does run and drive very nice, though right now it needs brake work. I re-did all the hydraulic parts and swapped to a dual M/C, but then the lining fell off one of the shoes. I'm waiting till I can get my brake lathe fixed up so that I can cut the drums when I put new shoes on.

Particulars:
89K miles
Sure Grip
A/C with tinted glass
bucket seats
power windows and driver seat
AM/FM with rear speaker
Purchase Price $950

66 NY 4drHT 2.JPG

66 NY 4drHT 3.JPG

66 NY 4drHT 1.JPG

After one of my 14" Spartans came apart
66 NY 4drHT 6.JPG

This is why you don't want to work in the same building that you store your cars in:
66 NY 4drHT 5.JPG

1967 New Yorker 4drHT

I had caught a quick glimpse of this car driving by in 1983 while I was with a friend going to get parts for his motorcycle. It was that dream '67 NY'er that I always wanted! A few years later I was taking a different route home from trade school because of road work, and there it was, parked in front of a house with a For Sale sign. Sadly, the price was a hefty $2000, and way beyond my finances at the time. Fast forward to 1996 and my friend spots a classified add in the paper for a blue '67 NY'er with disc brakes in the same town. Over we went and it was the same car. Shortly after the seller bought the car the water pump started leaking, he parked it in the garage, and never got to fixing it. Sadly, he had straight water in it, and the block froze up multiple times. It runs, but not very well, so I'm expecting to put an engine in it. We had a hell of time getting it on the car trailer. His driveway was too narrow for the trailer and it was up hill to the street. It was 17 degrees out that night and the car didn't want to run. There was a carb kit sitting on the front floor, and I ended up rebuilding the carb in the dark, in the guys driveway, in 17 degree weather. Much fun! That temperature record held till just a few days ago when we picked up the gold Imperial in Ohio. Unfortunately the car has it's share of rust in the quarters and some dents in the doors. I believe that I'm the third owner and it was always in Hatboro, PA. before I bought it.

Particulars:
80K miles
Disc brakes
A/C w/tint
50/50 Split vinyl seat
Power windows
Auto Pilot
AM/FM
Purchase price $1000

67 NY 4drHT blue 1.JPG

67 NY 4drHT blue 2.JPG

1967 New Yorker 4drHT

Having only one of your favorite cars is never enough. I'd have three now if Murry Park didn't swoop down and grab #3, but that's a story for another day. I can't remember exactly where this one came from, somewhere less than an hour west of me. It was my first "internet" car, as my friend's father spotted it somewhere on the internet, before the days of the fancy websites. It's originally from the Lancaster area of PA, and there's some speculation that it could have belonged to a Mennonite being triple black. There's no engine, but it came with a complete '68 440. The front seat was redone right before I bought it. It has some rust, and all the chrome is really lousy.

Particulars:
77K miles
Disc brakes
A/C w/tint
Power trunk
50/50 split vinyl bench
AM/FM
Purchase price $800

67 NY 4drHT black 4.JPG

67 NY 4drHT black 2.JPG

67 NY 4drHT black 3.JPG

1967 Newport Custom Fast top

My memory says that a friend of mine clued me in on this car. It had been sitting at a repair shop in Willow Grove, PA. for ten years before I bought it. I don't remember if they told me exactly why the previous owner gave it up, only that she was crying when she did. Possibly it needed too much work to pass state inspection. It's pretty rough, but nicely optioned. It was going to be a parts donor for my yellow '67 Newport Coupe, but I sold that to my friends in Sweden. I have all the metal to fix this, it just comes down to time and priorities. The car is complete, just some items were removed to swap with other cars and I didn't put them back on.

Particulars:
383 2bbl
A/C w/tint
Bucket seats
Console with "Performance Indicator"
AM/FM
Purchase price $400

67 Newport CP white 1.JPG

67 Newport CP white 2.JPG

67 Newport CP white 3.JPG

67 Newport CP white 4.JPG

1967 Imperial Crown Coupe

This is my prettiest car. I love the silver and black. My friend has been a Hemmings subscriber for as long as I can remember, and he spotted this not too long after he received the latest edition back in March/April 1996. He called me, and I called the seller. I liked what I heard, and two days later I was headed to Ohio with the car trailer. The body is mostly original paint, but it does have some rust in the quarters and it was hit in the passenger door. The bumperettes are rusted out but it came with NOS ones. Though it doesn't look like it in the crummy picture, the interior is in excellent condition. It originally had tilt/telescopic, but I swapped it out for the standard column, which I much prefer the look of. The car has an interesting history. The original owner was stationed at Offutt Air Force Base near Omaha, Nebraska, so he must have been of a fairly high rank to be able to afford a new Imperial. He eventually moved to the Pentagon and took the Imperial with him to the DC area. A friend of the guy that I bought it from saw the car advertised on a bulletin board in the Pentagon in the late 1970's. A deal was struck, and the car went to Ohio. The new owner had also just bought into ownership of a Chrysler/Plymouth dealership, which was real bad timing. He ran out of money before the K-cars hit the street and the Small Business Administration came looking for collateral to pay back as much of the loan as possible. I'm assuming the Imperial was under the dealerships name, because they took it. Luckily, his friend was able to buy the car back from the SBA, since he was prohibited from buying it himself, and he eventually had the car again. He sold it to me to make room in the garage for a mahogany boat that he wanted.

Particulars:
80K miles
A/C w/tint
Rear seat heater
Power windows, vents, trunk, and seat
AM radio w/pwr antenna
Purchase price $3400

67 Crown CP 2.JPG

67 Crown CP 1.JPG

DSC01585.JPG

67 Imperial CP 13.JPG

67 Crown Coupe 3.JPG

67 Crown Coupe 1.JPG

Last edited:
1968 Chrysler 300 Fast top

The same friend that I keep mentioning found out about this car back in the late 90's through a mutual friend's father. He was told that it was a '67, as that's how it was titled. I worked night shift at the time, so I drove over to look at it for him. It turned out to be a '68, still under care of the original owner, and having only 36K on the clock. My friend wasn't interested once he found out what it was. I was very interested, but as usual, didn't have the money. The car sold to a local doctor to be a father/daughter project that never really materialized. A couple years later it was for sale in the car corral at Chryslers @ Carlisle for more money than I had. More years go by, and the same friend spots it in the Philly paper for three grand. I hotfooted it down to the city to be the first one to plunk down some cash, beating quite a few other people. A good amount of work had been done to the car, including new tires. All is not sugar plumbs and roses though. I knew from talking to the original owner that the car was hit hard in the left quarter when he was backing out of a driveway back in the 1970's. The paint was flaking off and there was some bubbling in the repair area. I decided one day that I would give it a quick shot with the hog and spread some fresh plastic on it. I wasn't expecting the disaster that was hiding underneath. They brazed on a quarter from a 4 door 300, and just absolutely warped the crap out of everything. The bondo is close to an inch thick in spots. I was able to score a real nice quarter for it, so again, it's just time, as I have the parts. The car originally came from Trevose, PA, right down the street from my '66.

Particulars:
47K miles
Auto-Temp A/C
Power windows
Leather seats
AM/FM
Purchase price $3000

68 300 gold 4.JPG

68 300 gold 1.JPG

68 300 gold 2.JPG

68 300 gold 3.JPG

68 300 gold 5.JPG

68 300 gold 6.JPG

1968 Chrysler 300 Fast Top

I'm putting this one up just because the pics look nice. They are very deceiving. That's why it can be risky to buy stuff sight unseen. I had just buffed the car out before taking the pictures, but what you can't see is that it needs a roof and a cowl. The sides of the car are Bondo from bumper to bumper, covering terrible Philadelphia bodywork. You need to pop a few Dramamine before sighting down either side of the car.

Particulars:
77K miles
A/C w/tint
Power windows
AM/FM
Purchase price $500

68 300 red 1.JPG

68 300 red 2.JPG

68 300 red 3.JPG

1968 Plymouth VIP and 1968 Fury III

I'm listing these together as they will become one car some day. The VIP was a one owner car from the Allentown, PA area, with 215K on the clock. It's seen a lot of salt! I didn't look this one over carefully enough before I bought it. The quarters are carved out of plastic, and started bubbling after the first time I left it out in the rain. The sub frame has major plates on it, and any panels that aren't rotted are full of Ziebart plugs. The aluminum trim and bumpers are beautiful, and I have no idea how they stayed that way, considering the circumstances. The heads had been done at some time, and the car started burning antifreeze shortly after I got it. The Fury III was in a barn in Texas for decades before it went up for sale on ebay. The body is very solid, though some rust is showing on the lower quarters. The roof is toast.

Particulars:

VIP
215K miles
383 2bbl
Power brakes
Road wheels
Auto-Temp A/C
AM/FM
Purchase price $2000

Fury III
383 2bbl
Power brakes
A/C w/tint
Purchase Price $405
Shipping $1250

68 VIP Coupe 12.JPG

68 VIP Coupe 11.JPG

68 VIP Coupe 13.JPG

68 VIP 3.JPG

68 Fury Coupe 1.JPG

68 Fury Coupe 2.JPG

68 Fury Coupe 3.JPG

1969 Chrysler Town & Country

It seems that I'm the only one who remembers this car from the early days of Chryslers at Carlisle. Michael Schumacher, the Mopar motor mount guy, would drive this, loaded with all his wares and a trailer, from Washington state to Carlisle each year, and probably back again for the Nats in Ohio, in the earlier days of his business. Eventually, it was replaced with a Dodge pickup. I would see the car every year in his old spots, kind of in the middle of the vendor area, and admire it as I went by. After he got the new spot where he is now, and the car disappeared, I inquired about it. The car was for sale, but for way too much money, because he had quite a bit wrapped up in the drivetrain. Years later, I happened to spot it on ebay, with a no reserve starting bid around $2500. I was the only bidder. It's interesting how you don't notice a car's flaws when it doesn't belong to you. It's a lot rougher than my idealistic memories of it. It's been in a pretty serious wreck in the right front, and somebody half-*** welded a replacement section onto the frame. In the first photo, you can see how out of whack things were when I got it, before I adjusted the torsion bars. It also had terrible light truck tires on it. It'll need a sub frame, in addition to some sheet metal. I have all that I need, though I may want to find a real clean western sub frame for it. And the green interior has to go. Don't know what Chrysler was thinking on that one.

Particulars:
Lots of miles
440 4bbl
Auto-Temp A/C
50/50 split vinyl bench
Power windows, locks, driver seat
Tilt/Telescopic
Auto Pilot
Twilight Sentinel
Rear window washer
Purchase price $2500
Shipping $1100

69 T&C bronze 1.JPG

69 T&C bronze 5.JPG

69 T&C bronze 3.JPG

69 T&C bronze 4.JPG

69 T&C bronze 6.JPG

1969 Imperial LeBaron 4drHT

One of the few pretty ones. I bought this at a small car dealer/repair shop in Coopersburg, PA. It had been sitting on the lot for over a year. I had seen it when I was up that way, but didn't want any more green cars. I did want a '69 to go with the '71 i had at the time, but was really hoping to find a gold one. After seeing prices at Carlisle the following year, I decided to get right on the phone on Monday and make an offer. It's a good 20 footer, but much closer and someone with a good eye can see a lot going on. It got a replacement quarter at some point in time, along with some plastic in the doors. It was owned by an older woman who decided to let it go when she scraped the garage opening with the right 1/4. It's a pretty low option car, but that get's me the standard column and wheel that I like. Just wish it had power vents, since you can't add them due to the crank hole in the door panel.

Particulars:
113K miles
Auto-Temp A/C
Auto Pilot
AM/FM radio
Rear defogger
Purchase price $2500

69 Imperial 4drHT 2.JPG

69 Imperial 4drHT 3.JPG

69 Imperial 4drHT 4.JPG

69 Imperial 4drHT 6.JPG

69 Imperial 4drHT 7.JPG
It's probably time to retire the Tiempo's

1970 Newport Custom 4drHT

A guy that I worked with knew the seller of this one. I bought it around 1996 from a local body shop. The owner fixed it up for his father, but then found a Ford LTD for sale that he liked better. It's a pretty solid car with a little rust in the quarters. It's had it's share of minor scrapes and dings, and is at least four shades of green, but they meld ok after it's been polished. It drives really nice and quiet, and it's the one that's been going to shows the last few years. Pretty sure it was on ordered car, as it has an odd combination of options. I can't believe that I don't have any better pictures of it. It has my nice set of road wheels on it now, and I dropped the front end down to where it should be.

Particulars:
75K miles
383 2bbl
Auto-Temp A/C
Power seat
AM radio
Purchase price $1200

70 Newpt Custom 2.JPG

70 Newpt Custom 4.JPG

70 Newpt Custom 5.JPG

1970 Plymouth Sport Fury Formal HT

Another winning bid on eBay got this gem. It was parked on the side of a residential road in Delran, NJ. and got creamed by a Ford explorer. I originally had plans to fix it, but I, like many others, decided that I like the non-formal roofline better. It's not just the back of the car that has issues, it was also hit in the front before it was repainted, and there's all kind of shims at work to make things line up. It's a real shame, because this car is so clean underneath. It's non-undercoat, and it looks like it came from southern CA. The plan now is to find something better, even just a Fury III and swap over the sport Fury stuff. It has an un-cracked dash and real nice door panels I can use. It also came with a rebuilt 1971 440, though the quality of the machine work is suspect and it needs to be gone through. There's also a noticeable shortage of "sport" in this Sport Fury: 318 2bbl, and no front sway bar.

Particulars:
318 2bbl
Power steering and brakes
A/C w/tint
Purchase price $1250

70 Sport Fury 1.JPG

70 Sport Fury 2.JPG

1971 Chrysler Town & Country

This one is plenty ugly on the surface, but it's got real good bones. A southern California car, it is absolutely rust free. There's still plating on the chassis hardware and paint on the sub frame. I have NOS fenders, but I'll need a door or two. I picked this up in Chicago after a Dry Dock member removed the drivetrain for his Blues Mobile project. I think it cost me a nice set of '76 Newport Custom seats and around $150 in cash. I have some big plans for this one, but I need to hone my skills on some of the easier ones first.

Particulars:
was 440 4bbl
A/C w/tint
Power windows, locks, seat
Purchase price $400

71 T&C brown 1.JPG

71 T&C brown 2.JPG

71 T&C brown 3.JPG

71 T&C brown 4.JPG

71 T&C brown 5.JPG

1971 Dodge Monaco SW

Now for Dave's favorite. :D

Although not quite as rare as I once thought it was, it's still a pretty special car. Ordered new by the service manager of a now-defunct local Dodge dealership, this car is loaded up with goodies, or at least it was before the previous owner stripped a bunch of them out. I believe it's only two items short of full-boat: Auto-Temp and rear A/C. Being service manager, he knew not to order the ATC, and he and his wife camped out in the back of the car, so he didn't want the rear A/C unit in the way. The car was restored back in the 1980's and the owner's son worked for 3M. I was told that they ran off a special run of the factory woodgrain and wrote it up as a "sample" for a "prospective customer". He later sold the car to a guy who drove the wheels off of it going back and forth to the west coast. It's supposed to have around 350K miles on it now. The son of the original owner ended up with it, and he took out the engine and trans to put in an A-Body (of course), along with the cruise switch, cassette player, and AM/FM radio. There was a really neat surprise in the back when I got it, an NOS fuel tank! :) I've got a nice pile of NOS parts and nice western chrome for it. I had to pay dearly for the final tail light assy that I needed, which I found a couple months ago on eBay.

Particulars:
350K miles
440 4bbl
Sure Grip
A/C w/tint
Power windows, locks, and seat
Tilt w/rim blow wheel
Auto Pilot
Rear window washer
50/50 split vinyl seat
AM/FM Stereo
Cassette player
Cornering lamps
Purchase price $200

71 Monaco SW 1.JPG

71 Monaco SW 2.JPG

71 Monaco SW 3.JPG

71 Monaco SW 5.JPG

71 Monaco SW 4.JPG

71 Monaco SW 6.JPG

1972 Dodge Monaco 4drHT

Pretty on the topside, but scary-ugly underneath. A non-undercoat car that was kept in a damp garage or car port. This car needs a lot of help. Not really a big investment in new parts, but lots of labor to fix the rust. Not sure what will happen with this one, but I really like it and would love to save it.

Particulars:
42K miles
400 2bbl
A/C w/tint
AM radio
Purchase price $450

72 Monaco 4drHT 1.JPG

72 Monaco 4drHT 2.JPG

72 Monaco 4drHT 3.JPG

Last edited:
1972 Dodge Monaco SW

This is the winner for best body in the collection, a super-rust free car form Idaho. The same weather that kept the metal so nice, beat up the interior and woodgrain, but I'll take that trade. Another ebay car that I got back in 2003. Originally registered to a Cheese company, it was refurbished at some point in time, I think by the first owner. It looks like it may have been in a minor accident and they painted the whole car and replaced some of the woodgrain at the time it was fixed. For some reason the engine was taken out, and possibly rebuilt, but it burns a lot of oil, so they screwed something up.

Particulars:
440 4bbl
A/C w/tint
50/50 split vinyl bench
power seat
AM radio

72 Monaco SW 1.JPG

72 Monaco SW 2.JPG

1972 Plymouth Custom Suburban SW

I bought this out of Mount Laurel, NJ, I think in 1992, to replace the '78 Chevy Impala wagon that I was driving at the time. Dubbed "Sargent Fury" after the character on the Greaseman Show. It's my only car with a name. I believe the car had been junked at one point in time, and the junk yard owner's wife got it to drive. It had the strangest bunch of dents in the hood where a big chain hit it really hard. It looked like a giant shark tried to take a bite out of the hood. I had to do a ton of mechanical work to get it up to snuff: trans rebuild, total front end rebuild, complete brake job, motor mounts and freeze plugs. I built the custom dash using gauges from a 1988 Ford pickup. When I planned the project, I never banked on there being such a difference between the 69-71 dash and the 72-73 dash, so I was never able to finish the project. The HVAC controls were supposed to go in a center console, about where the ash tray was, but I never found quite what I was looking for. I used the car up to 1999 when the car barn was finished, and retired it because it was taking on too much water inside, along with some weird brake problems and the engine was pretty much warn out.

Particulars:
360 2bbl
Towing package
A/C w/tint
Auto Pilot
Hidden headlights
Upgraded interior
Purchase price $650

72 Sport Sub 4.JPG

72 Sport Sub 5.JPG

72 Sport Sub 3.JPG

72 Sport Sub 1.JPG

72 Sport Sub 6.JPG

72 Sport Sub 7.JPG

72 Sport Sub 8.JPG

Last edited:
1973 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham 4drHT

It might be tough to find a rougher 53K mile car than my '73 New Yorker. I bought this car for one reason: It was blue. It wasn't green, it wasn't brown, or tan, or mustard yellow, it was blue, and I thought it was quite unusual at the time. It's had a real hard life, and it's a salvage title, so it was junked at some point in time. The seller had just bought my buddy's '71 300 coupe and needed some cash, so he offered this one up for sale. He also had a nice gold '70 sport Fury, and I don't for the life of me know why I didn't buy that instead. This car is smashed, and it's rusty, but I have a boatload of NOS parts for it, many that I got really cheap: hood, fenders, quarters, inner quarters, mouldings, tail lights, bumpers, and a nice used trunk lid from Samplingman.

:thankyou:

This one's not high priority, but they do look nice when they're done.

Particulars:
53K miles
A/C w/tint
AM/FM 8-track
rear window defogger
Purchase price $500

73 NYB 4drHT 1.JPG

73 NYB 4drHT 2.JPG

73 NYB 4drHT 5.JPG

73 NYB 4drHT 4.JPG

1973 Dodge Monaco Brougham Sedan

I had agreed to fix a '73 Polara sedan that had been hit in the rear while parked out in the street only for one night (anybody getting the message to not park cars in the street?) The car was actually a real junk-bucket, but the guy told me he wanted to fix it. It needed a full quarter, tail panel, bumper and trunk lid. I bought this car off of ebay to supply the parts needed for the project. It came from Maddox Vintage in Commerce Colorado, back when they were still selling cars and parts. The guy bailed on the job, so I still have the car. It's in limbo now, as there's no title, but it could end up helping to fix the rusty Monaco hardtop. It's an original Colorado car with very little rust, but a toasty interior.

Particulars:
Probably lots of miles
360 4bbl (high altitude)
A/C w/tint
Purchase price $400
Shipping $650

73 Monaco 1.JPG

73 Monaco 2.JPG

Trio of 1973 Plymouth Fury Gran Coupes

It wasn't too long ago that I did a thread on these three, so I'll keep it short.

I got the red one first, around 1999, from a local junkyard. If you can ignore the horrible right quarter panel, the rest of the car is really not that bad. It's original paint, the interior is presentable, and it has a real nice trunk floor

Particulars:
Around 110K miles
360 2bbl
A/C
AM radio
Rear defogger
Purchase price $250

I believe I got the black one in 2007. A very bad eBay purchase, rust, bondo, engine problems, etc. It came out of Indiana, land of salty roads.

Particulars:
Less than 90K miles
400 2bbl
A/C
Rear defogger
AM/FM radio
Purchase price $2300
Shipping $500

Just got the silver car last Fall from a seller in Hamilton Township, New Jersey. It's very solid underneath but it's had some less than stellar rust repair done in the usual spots. I'm hoping to have this one to some shows this year, though pressure to get the '67 Crown Coupe going could interfere with that plan.

Particulars:
70K miles
360 2bbl
A/C
Rear defogger
AM/FM Stereo radio
Purchase price $2500

73 Gran Coupe red 2.JPG

73 Gran Coupe red 1.JPG

73 Gran Coupe red 3.JPG

73 Gran Coupe red 4.JPG

73 Gran Coupe black 1.JPG

73 Gran Coupe black 3.JPG

73 Gran Coupe 23.JPG

73 Gran Coupe silver 1.jpg

73 Gran Coupe silver 2.jpg

73 Gran Coupe silver 3.jpg

1973 Plymouth Fury II Sedan

When I see '73 Fury sedans, I see police car clone projects waiting to happen. This one was in Kober's Used Auto Parts in Washington, New Jersey. The car was from down south, so it's really nice rust-wise, but it's got it's share of dents. It has an un-cracked dash, so that alone was worth the investment.

Particulars:
was 318 2bbl
A/C w/tint
vinyl top
Purchase price $250

73 Fury II SED 2.JPG

73 Fury II SED 1.JPG

1978 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham

I'm sure people have spotted this one throughout most of the time frame of this thread. My father bought it in 1984 to replace our totaled '81 Olds Delta 88. We were hit from behind by a drunk or drugged driver on Route 73 in Jersey, coming back from a family gathering at the shore. We got the NYB at Faulkner Cadillac in Trevose, PA (another Trevose car). My father used it, then it was my mother's car for a while, then I had it as a backup when I moved up to this house in '96. It too was retired in 1999 when the car barn was finished. It has deteriorated quite badly over the years, mainly due to accident repairs and a lacquer paint job that were done before we bought it. It had 24K when we bought it, and I think it only has around 75K now. Even though it was sold new at Reedman's in Langhorn, PA, it has the California emissions package, which is real ugly on a 440, and we could never get it to run properly. I found an NOS right quarter for it at Carlisle a couple years ago, and I have a complete (less driver seat) white leather interior that I bought at a local junk yard back in the late 80's. It looks like the old Firestone 721's have also lost their will to live.

Particulars:
440 4bbl, California emissions
St.Regis roof package
Road wheels
Auto-Temp
Leather seats, driver power
Tilt/Telescopic
Auto Pilot
ETR push button radio w/pwr antenna
Sunfire metallic paint
Purchase price $3250

78 NY Coupe 2.JPG

78 NY Coupe 5.JPG

78 NY Coupe 1.JPG

78 NY Coupe 4.JPG

78 NY Coupe 3.JPG

78 NY Coupe 6.JPG

78 NY Coupe 7.JPG

78 NY Coupe 8.JPG

I hate to interrupt but some info on your storage building?

1973 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham 4drHT

It might be tough to find a rougher 53K mile car than my '73 New Yorker. I bought this car for one reason: It was blue. It wasn't green, it wasn't brown, or tan, or mustard yellow, it was blue, and I thought it was quite unusual at the time. It's had a real hard life, and it's a salvage title, so it was junked at some point in time. The seller had just bought my buddy's '71 300 coupe and needed some cash, so he offered this one up for sale. He also had a nice gold '70 sport Fury, and I don't for the life of me know why I didn't buy that instead. This car is smashed, and it's rusty, but I have a boatload of NOS parts for it, many that I got really cheap: hood, fenders, quarters, inner quarters, mouldings, tail lights, bumpers, and a nice used trunk lid from Samplingman.

:thankyou:

This one's not high priority, but they do look nice when they're done.

Particulars:
53K miles
A/C w/tint
AM/FM 8-track
rear window defogger
Purchase price $500

View attachment 159765
View attachment 159766
View attachment 159767
View attachment 159768

1973 Dodge Monaco Brougham Sedan

I had agreed to fix a '73 Polara sedan that had been hit in the rear while parked out in the street only for one night (anybody getting the message to not park cars in the street?) The car was actually a real junk-bucket, but the guy told me he wanted to fix it. It needed a full quarter, tail panel, bumper and trunk lid. I bought this car off of ebay to supply the parts needed for the project. It came from Maddox Vintage in Commerce Colorado, back when they were still selling cars and parts. The guy bailed on the job, so I still have the car. It's in limbo now, as there's no title, but it could end up helping to fix the rusty Monaco hardtop. It's an original Colorado car with very little rust, but a toasty interior.

Particulars:
Probably lots of miles
360 4bbl (high altitude)
A/C w/tint
Purchase price $400
Shipping $650

View attachment 159769
View attachment 159770
The Blue 73 is my favorite so far that I have seen.

Trio of 1973 Plymouth Fury Gran Coupes

It wasn't too long ago that I did a thread on these three, so I'll keep it short.

I got the red one first, around 1999, from a local junkyard. If you can ignore the horrible right quarter panel, the rest of the car is really not that bad. It's original paint, the interior is presentable, and it has a real nice trunk floor

Particulars:
Around 110K miles
360 2bbl
A/C
AM radio
Rear defogger
Purchase price $250

I believe I got the black one in 2007. A very bad eBay purchase, rust, bondo, engine problems, etc. It came out of Indiana, land of salty roads.

Particulars:
Less than 90K miles
400 2bbl
A/C
Rear defogger
AM/FM radio
Purchase price $2300
Shipping $500

Just got the silver car last Fall from a seller in Hamilton Township, New Jersey. It's very solid underneath but it's had some less than stellar rust repair done in the usual spots. I'm hoping to have this one to some shows this year, though pressure to get the '67 Crown Coupe going could interfere with that plan.

Particulars:
70K miles
360 2bbl
A/C
Rear defogger
AM/FM Stereo radio
Purchase price $2500

View attachment 159792

View attachment 159776
View attachment 159778
View attachment 159779
View attachment 159780
View attachment 159781
View attachment 159788
View attachment 159789
View attachment 159790
View attachment 159791
Actually, I really like that silver 73 Fury Jeff from New Jersey. That would be nice to see more pics of.

Back