Blower motor not working

Okie

Reaction score
I have a 1965 sport fury with the 383 ac car. The blower motor has never worked. The fan is good if I run it straight to the battery. Is there a relay somewhere I can try replacing?

I have a 1965 sport fury with the 383 ac car. The blower motor has never worked. The fan is good if I run it straight to the battery. Is there a relay somewhere I can try replacing?
Have you looked at the multi connectors that splice everything together in the back of the fuse block? I bought a california car, a 66 fury commando, with AC, and in my case several of these splices in the back were either loose from the fuse block or corroded or both.

Blower resistor failure would only cause low and medium speeds to fail. High speed bypasses the resistor.

Chances are a failed switch, but let's ask a simple question. Checked the fuse? From there, check power to the switch and power to the blower resistor and then power to the blower.

A test light will do, but a multimeter is better. Harbor Freight has a real cheap "toss in the trunk toolbox" version that will do the job. Upgrade from there.

Blower resistor failure would only cause low and medium speeds to fail. High speed bypasses the resistor.

Chances are a failed switch, but let's ask a simple question. Checked the fuse? From there, check power to the switch and power to the blower resistor and then power to the blower.

A test light will do, but a multimeter is better. Harbor Freight has a real cheap "toss in the trunk toolbox" version that will do the job. Upgrade from there.
Thanks for the help. I don’t have much experience working on electrical. I did check the fuse and had power there. I’ll try tracing it to the switch and checking there tomorrow. What’s the best way to get to the hvac controls? Removing the speedometer cluster?

Thanks for the help. I don’t have much experience working on electrical. I did check the fuse and had power there. I’ll try tracing it to the switch and checking there tomorrow. What’s the best way to get to the hvac controls? Removing the speedometer cluster?
Don't know on your car as I don't have any experience with the '65 Fury.

If you can't get to the switch easily, skip over it to the resistor connections before pulling anything apart.

In electrical work, you start at the source and work forward... Or you start at the end (blower motor) and work back to the source.

Of course, in my world of checking the simplest stuff first, I go for what I can get to the easiest first, even if it's in the middle. You just have to understand where it's flowing to and from and apply that understanding.

You really need a factory service manual. You can download a copy here. Service Manuals – MyMopar

Sometimes the manuals on this site are incomplete so let us know if it is missing the sections you need. A Sort Fury is designation AP-2. In my version of the manual its on page 8-100 (AP-1 AP-2 Instrument panel wiring).

Also look in section 24 - air conditioning.

I just fixed mine on my 67 Fury it was the resistor box/ connector both had corroded contacts. I was only getting 2v at the resistor box. cleaned up the connections with alcohol and spray electrical contact cleaner as well as q tips That got high and low speed working Then sprayed the switch and got all three. most of the electrical connections on these cars are corroded. So the firs thing I check are the connections and clean them well. The switches can be cycled to clean their contact but works better to spray them first then cycle them.

Back