Bolt Size - Engine Lift Points

Engine, Transmission & Driveline

1. RGORHAM29

RGORHAM29 Active Member

Hi all. embarrassed to ask but here goes it. Removing the 318ci engine later today (or Friday). I misplaced my mic so i will ask before buying a bunch of bolts - what size bolts used to lift engine near block/header? 5/16"? if at Carb or Intake - 1/4"? seeing how many have already done this recently - figure its a no brainer.

yes - i have a leveler too.

Thanks!

2. C Sickness

C Sickness Member

Most holes on the block are 3/8. Carb goes on 5/16 Studs.

Never choose a block or head hole with no "meat" above it. The bolt can tear out due to the sideways pressure, and thin wall. A teenage me learned this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. 1970FuryConv

1970FuryConv Senior Member

1970 318 Removal.
    Engine crane and chain. I attached chain using the 5/16" thread bolt holes at the left front head and right rear head. Left front bolt is where negative battery cable installs. If you want to attach chains at 4 points, 3/8" thread bolt holes at the right front head (where alternator mounts) and left rear head.

Note: if removing the trans and its x-member, Torsion bar adjuster bolts: 15/16 long socket, impact gun. Loosen until all torque removed from torsion bars. I didn’t want the outer 2 sides of the cross member to move by the force of the torsion bars. That’s possible with the cross member removed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. RGORHAM29

RGORHAM29 Active Member

Thank you both. @1970FuryConv those where the holes I was looking at. Perfect thanks.
    As I was going through it I also realized I had a few more items to disconnect (throttle linkage) and fuel line to fuel pump. Ugh. When I get a chance I will confirm thread size for bolts used for the next guy.

• Like Like x 2
  5. C Sickness

C Sickness Member

If you are going to bolt a chain on horizontally, please use a 3/8 hole. That sideways shear pressure is a lot on a bolt. They are designed to be used in tension, where they're strongest, not in shear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. 1970FuryConv

1970FuryConv Senior Member

Grade 8 5/16 bolts took my 318 engine and 904 trans out fine. Whatever works. Maybe I just got lucky.

7. MONC440

MONC440 Member

I made this mistake the first time I pulled the x member on a c body and couldn't get the x member to line up trying to reinstall it. My past experience was all b and a body cars that have the hump and the x member only holds the trans. It is beyond me why the bigger car would have the x member made that way but on the up side when I installed the OD trans I didn't have to cut any frame like on the b body.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Fury Man Van

Fury Man Van Active Member FCBO Gold Member

I use the 4 outer intake bolts it's never failed for me. Screenshot_20211128-093551_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211128-093540_Gallery.jpg