Bonding metal patches

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
80FF621E-A17C-4A84-84DF-919527C75CAC.jpeg
Got a couple of spots on my drag car FURYIOUS where I need a patch. Obviously non-structural. I have this stuff in my chemical cabinet. Says it bonds metal. Anyone ever use this. How well does it work.

Haven't used this stuff but googled it.
It don't think this is what you want to use.

I have used the 3M glue 08115 on the floor pan and trunk floor of my 66 Polara.
3 Years and still going strong.
Yes, i read and followed the instructions for best results:lol:
61lCPtYTUjL._SL1000_.jpg

Haven't used this stuff but googled it.
It don't think this is what you want to use.

I have used the 3M glue 08115 on the floor pan and trunk floor of my 66 Polara.
3 Years and still going strong.
Yes, i read and followed the instructions for best results:lol:
View attachment 218944

This what body shops use on many newer cars instead of welding. I have successfully used this to glue/bond aluminum and steel on my motorhome. You can find the applicator and replacement cartridges on eBay at a good price.

I forgot to mention that I used this on the trunk filler panels when installing the trunk floor with very good results.

The 3M stuff works well as does SEM brand metal adhesive. You will have to buy the application gun for whichever you chose.

As lead solder has been deleted from vehicle manufacturing, "panel bonding adhesive" has taken its place. Many used to be "aircraft grade"? Possibly even some "spot weld thru"? Look for "OEM approval", of similar, for best results?

CBODY67

I use the 3M stuff, flange the patch and then screw it and glue it, wait 'til it drys and burn the screw headz off with my hand grinder, Then skin coat it, sand it and shoot it and done, Jer

Make sure you don't clamp too tight or you'll squeeze out the adhesive. Not sure about the 3m but the sem has little glass beads in it to prevent over clamping and the squeezing out of the glue.

Let me check my garage, I think I have an applicator gun and a few twin tubes of stuff.

Here is what I have, I guess you could look up the number on the product to see what it does.

double applicator.jpg

5FCDF549-CEAA-423C-8220-B5FC0E1A08B4.jpeg
I bonded two pieces of scrap metal together that’s the same thickness as the thickest piece I need to repair. I used the E6000 stuff. It says it needs 24 hours. I’m going to give it 72. See then if I can pull it apart. If I can’t then I’ll submerge in in water over night & try again to break it apart. I’ll let you know how the highly sophisticated test go’s. Also here is one area I’m wanting to patch.

That looks like a non structural area. You're going to have to blast/clean it anyway to use that panel bonding glue so I'd just mix up some Marglas filler (fibreglass strand reinforced bondo) to plug the hole, sculpt it up pretty and call it a day.

Kevin

That looks like a non structural area. You're going to have to blast/clean it anyway to use that panel bonding glue so I'd just mix up some Marglas filler (fibreglass strand reinforced bondo) to plug the hole, sculpt it up pretty and call it a day.

Kevin
Trying to use stuff I got & I want to try this stuff. Low budget

Back