Bought a Parts Car. . . I think. . .

Ripinator

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
For reasons I won't go into right now, I decided I needed to go find a 440 big block engine manufactured in 1966. I got online and cast a broad search net to see what would come up. I found a guy up in Pennsylvania coal country who wanted to sell his departed father's '66 Chrysler 300 2-door hardtop.

I took the three hour drive to go and look at it, and I made the deal. Here are a few pictures I took a few days ago when I picked up the car:

DSCF2217.JPG

DSCF2218.JPG

DSCF2219.JPG

If any of you remember the pictures of my trip home with the convertible back in May, its deja vu all over again. . .

DSCF2222.JPG

DSCF2223.JPG

DSCF2225.JPG
DSCF2226.JPG
DSCF2230.JPG

DSCF2231.JPG

So. . . There it is. . . The car is too nice for a parts car. Now. . . What am I gonna do ?!?

DSCF2229.JPG

That's one helluva parts car, you suck! I'm putting you in charge of finding me a '66 300 parts car.

Wow Rip tell you what let's trade - your "parts car" is in better shape than my project car...:(

How nice is that? Looks like a great car Rip......good for you, looks like a real nice problem to have

Well. . . As nice as the car looks, it does have some rust issues which I have not yet fully assessed.

So have you confirmed it is a correct date coded 440? Fender tag decoded yet? My Black 66 has an early 70's 440 and Ruby has the 383 she came with. I can tell you there is a BIG difference in how they drive. The 440 feels way more torquey. Both are factory other than the Eddy. BTW you suck...

No a/c - parts car. :stop:

Seriously, though, where is the rust - even the underhood doesn't really reflect rust? Maybe previous rust that was repaired? Paint looks pretty fresh, as it seems it was originally white from the chip on the quarter panel. But the underhood looks like original red? Even the chrome looks pretty nice from what I can tell. :realcrazy:

For reasons I won't go into right now, I decided I needed to go find a 440 big block engine manufactured in 1966. I got online and cast a broad search net to see what would come up. I found a guy up in Pennsylvania coal country who wanted to sell his departed father's '66 Chrysler 300 2-door hardtop.

I took the three hour drive to go and look at it, and I made the deal. Here are a few pictures I took a few days ago when I picked up the car:

View attachment 96948

View attachment 96949

View attachment 96950

If any of you remember the pictures of my trip home with the convertible back in May, its deja vu all over again. . .

View attachment 96951

View attachment 96952

View attachment 96954 View attachment 96955 View attachment 96958
View attachment 96959

So. . . There it is. . . The car is too nice for a parts car. Now. . . What am I gonna do ?!?
Some of us really just don't know how to buy a proper parts car...:poke: As you may recall, I fell in love with mine too. Now I kinda want a parts car for my parts car...:realcrazy:

So have you confirmed it is a correct date coded 440? Fender tag decoded yet? My Black 66 has an early 70's 440 and Ruby has the 383 she came with. I can tell you there is a BIG difference in how they drive. The 440 feels way more torquey. Both are factory other than the Eddy. BTW you suck...
No a/c - parts car. :stop:

Seriously, though, where is the rust - even the underhood doesn't really reflect rust? Maybe previous rust that was repaired? Paint looks pretty fresh, as it seems it was originally white from the chip on the quarter panel. But the underhood looks like original red? Even the chrome looks pretty nice from what I can tell. :realcrazy:

Steve: You have a good eye. The sides of the car have been re-painted. The rest of the paint is original Scorch Red. The big chip on the side of the car reveals the primer / bondo under the re-paint. The rust I observed is in the driver side rear frame rail and some bubbling in the quarters at the rear of the car. An attempted repair in the rear frame rail is evident, but I haven't had the car on a lift yet to fully evaluate the problem. Most of the chrome is pretty good, but the pot-metal pieces have the usual pits here and there.

Doba: Thank you! You suck too. Due to advancing age, you may not remember that you decoded the fender tag for me in a previous thread about codes for TNT vs. non-TNT engines three weeks ago. At that time, I had not yet made the deal on the car, so I waited until now to say any more about it. And yes. . . This car is pretty torquey. . .

Some of us really just don't know how to buy a proper parts car...:poke: As you may recall, I fell in love with mine too. Now I kinda want a parts car for my parts car...:realcrazy:
Problem with parts cars is that if there are enough good parts it's not a parts car, but a car with good parts that you can't part with.

Problem with parts cars is that if there are enough good parts it's not a parts car, but a car with good parts that you can't part with.
You and Rip now have the 2 nicest "parts cars" on the site.

Back