Brain pickin' time

BIGBARNEYCARS

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Back ground--- I just bought another Mini van for My Bride. It's an 18 YO Dodge Grand Caravan with "0" rust and 66K miles on it. and one problem. IT HAZ HUBCAPZ ON IT AND I HATE HUBCAPZ. SO I've searched the contiguous 48 and finding 4-5 I ordered 4 from 4 different states. Got 'um in and got 'um swapped and have a slight problem. FYI no body mounts clip on wheel weights on My Snow Flakes (we're ah glue on weight on the inner part pf the wheel kinda guy) And one of those wheels iz nasty enough that the glue on weights WILL NOT STICK SO MY QUESTION IZ: Whats the best way to clean the inner surface of that aluminum wheel so the glue on weights will stick PAHLEEZ, I'M STANDIN' BY, Jer

If it's grease. Go down to the local Orange big Box Mexican super center and buy yall some Zep purple degreaser.

ZEP 128 oz. Industrial Purple Degreaser-ZU0856128 - The Home Depot

Dilute it an' let it sit on the wheel for a while. I'd tape off the front painted surface though. AN' if the backside is bare 'lumnum, watch it as you aint gunna want it to sit fer long.

Else, retardautoparts.com carries Griots wheel cleaner. GREAT stuff. it'll do dirt/brake dust an' grease.

Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

71MVLSHh4OL._SX425_.jpg

How about Prep-Sol, thats would be used to wipe down a car before paint if I remember correctly, similar to Mineral Spirits. I have used this to remove tar splatters on from rocker panels.

If the surface is really nasty you will have to break out the sandpaper, I do like the steel wool idea though. Use something to clean the surface after, lots of good suggestions above.

There ARE OEM-spec plastic-coated clip-on wheel weights out there. That's what the OEMs use on all of their allow wheels, for a very long time. Should be some OEM part numbers in GM, Ford, or Chrysler, I suspect. Dealers don't use stick-on weights, usually.

On the stick-on weights, once you're satisfied with the balance job, cover the weights in duct tape (Gorilla Tape can work, too). Just clean the surface the tape will stick to.

CBODY67

Thanks for all the great suggestionz guyz. My plan iz to go two routes one after the other for the fix. I remembered last nite that In my stash I have a couple 2" 220 grit flap wheels that I've used in other projects with my air operated die grinder. Clean it up with that and sanatize it with acetone. The die grinder spins too fast to be too abrasive even for aluminum. But that's another funny story on another time. Thanks again ALL, Jer

Back