brake bleeeding question

CanCritter

Reaction score
just need to bleed the brakes on the GT after a small connection leak...question is..

Can l gravity bleed the brakes if l leave the bleeder screw open and run a tube into a jar type idea while ensure masters full with cap off
...just tryin to accomplish this by myself as l don't wana drag anyone over here to pump brake type idea....just tryin to sort out best way to accomplish this by myself..
Thanx

I've had good luck doing it that way. Takes a while but not too bad. Start with the right rear and work your way forward. If any pumping is required it would only be for a few minutes after that

It’s been done before. I think it will depend on where and how much air is trapped. It’s worth a try. Worse comes to worse revert to getting some help.

You can also run a hose from the bleed screw on the rears to a capture container with some fluid in it. That will keep air from being drawn in when you pump the pedal to expel air in the lines.
Dave

k ..have front tires off so that will be easy enough to get front done and as for back well mayby l'll have to round up a victim for the back.....l need to fix me up some sorta dedicated vac system to bleed...would think itd be fairly simple realy

You can also run a hose from the bleed screw on the rears to a capture container with some fluid in it. That will keep air from being drawn in when you pump the pedal to expel air in the lines.
Dave

that l can whip up.....thank you sir....

I've had good luck doing it that way. Takes a while but not too bad. Start with the right rear and work your way forward. If any pumping is required it would only be for a few minutes after that

??kk...lve always started at drivers front....pass.....drivers rear then farthest at pass rear??

A hand held vacuum pump works really well too. I've used one for years.

Many, many years ago, I did a brake job on a car I had. I ran into some problems, it was late and I had no one around to help bleed the brakes. I didn't have a vacuum pump or anything like that. I had to get it finished though and I had a roll of vacuum tubing.

I started the car, hooked the vacuum tubing to one of the vacuum ports on the carb and the other end to the bleeder. Cracked the bleeder for a couple seconds and voila... Hard pedal.

I did brake down (pun intended) and buy one of these last year. Shoulda bought one years ago.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJ5DY16/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

81s3pPyL2eL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is how I've been doing it successfully for decades; no special tools or extra set of hands needed:

With two sidenotes:

1. Don't press the brake pedal fully down, especially with an old master cilinder; you might mess up it's internals. Stick to 60% down max.
2. once you have opened the bleeding screw, put some (copper) grease around the contact surface with the caliper/cilinder, or air might be sucked in from there.

Back