brake booster ID

swisherred

Reaction score
So I have a few pictures of different boosters and Im confused about what will work or wont. I have a 67 newport custom with power drum. The booster is not original. So i was told that the clamp style 50-3520 booster was correct,
54-73520-2_1.jpg
but I go to the junkyard looking for a rebuildable core and I find this other style on a 67 polara and a 67 fury , which online resources say it will NOT fit my newport 54-73546 or 50-3500 with master

10165010_wbt_5473546_alt1_pri_larg.jpg

10165010_wbt_5473546_pri_larg.jpg

....but neither of them are what I have....(obviously the one on the car)....Why am I finding different ones....all on drum brake C bodies? Can I use any one of them? They look to have different length push rods too.

20190714_130520.jpg

Last edited:
I can only find the banded one in the yard for A bodies, which I think is different, the next one i can find, but they arent in great shape...the third (on my car) I cannot find at all. Im trying to understand why there are 3 different ones and if they are interchangeable if I end up finding one or the other before rebuilding mine.

Kelsey hayes, budd, Bendix, and midland ross all made brake stuff for mopar depending on what kind of car you are in front of

Kelsey hayes, budd, Bendix, and midland ross all made brake stuff for mopar depending on what kind of car you are in front of
ok...I know the midland ross...can you identify the others? Could the second one be a field installed bendix unit?

Last edited:
I have 2-67 Monaco’s. I will get some good pictures of the vacuum booster’s on Monday. I will post.

The booster in your initial post is correct for drum brake C body 65 - 68. The other ones shown are suitable substitutes fron non OEM or secondary OEM suppliers, meaning they'll bolt up and work, but the specs may or may not be the same as original. Since they're listed as suitable, their specs will only match or exceed OEM specs.

The confusion and/difference of opinion comes from using drum brake boosters on disc brake systems... which (IMO) is a big no-no, as the drum brake booster's specs are less than what a disc brake system requires. They bolt up and function, but do not permit the disc system to be fully functional, and may let one down when one needs the advantages of a disc system the most. Others may not agree.

jeesus h. Christ alive on a stick

OK - this is FROM THE GOD LOVING FSM for petes sakes

LOOK AT IT

20200223_101844.jpg

DRUM AND DISC!!!

THE BOOSTER only BOOSTS

GO UNHOOK YOUR BOOSTER AND SEE HOW HARD YOUR BRAKES ARE

buncha cromagnons around here you damn smooth brains

How a Brake Booster Works

As you depress the brake pedal, your pedal linkage causes a shaft to move forward in response to your foot, and as this shaft moves forward, it interacts with the brake booster and master cylinder. The brake booster contains a diaphragm that separates its interior into two parts, with both in a partial vacuum. As the brake pedal is depressed, it causes a valve inside the booster to open, which in turn allows air into one side of the booster. This difference in pressure on one side helps to push the piston inside the brake master cylinder forward in response to the brake pedal, which in turn slows and stops your vehicle.

A brake booster increases the force the brake pedal exerts on the brake master cylinder by using engine vacuum and pressure. Without a brake booster, even the simple act of slowing your car would require substantially higher amounts of effort and incur greater amounts of fatigue. The brake booster does not brake your vehicle for you, it simply offers a helping hand.

Brake booster[edit]
A brake booster is an enhanced master cylinder setup used to reduce the amount of pedal pressure needed for braking. It employs a booster set up to act with the master cylinder to give higher hydraulic pressure to the brakes and/or lower force applied on the brake pedal through a brake booster push-rod. The brake booster usually uses vacuum from the engine intake to boost the force applied by the pedal onto the master cylinder or may employ an extra vacuum pump to enable it. Without the engine running the brake pedal feels very hard and ineffective on the braking capability

Brake Booster:

Working Principle:
Brake booster is a safety device used with the brakes and it works on the principle of Pascal’s law. It helps to make the driving very comfortable because in driving the main tasks are to control speed and braking. With the help of this device the braking experience totally changed because it reduces the human effort for applying the brake.

In terms of functionality, a brake booster does the same for a braking mechanism what power steering does for steering. The recent addition to the automobile brake systems is designed to improve braking performance and safety. With a brake booster, the driver does not need to exercise excessive force on the brake pedal when stopping the car.

< in b4 oh shieet we need dual-diaphragm power steering >

While we are discussing the different boosters, we also get questions about the differences between the 11” single diaphragm booster versus the 9” dual diaphragm booster or some other variation and what makes one different from the other. Generally speaking, the larger the diameter the more assist it will provide. That was true until dual diaphragms became available. This allowed a smaller diameter to provide as much and sometimes more assist due to the fact there are two diaphragms inside making things work. To determine the assist provided by the brake booster, a very simplified equation is to multiply atmospheric conditions by the diameter of the booster and multiple that by the number of diaphragms in the booster. The resulting number is the amount of assist the booster provides. This is a simplistic way of looking at the situation, but it gets you headed in the right direction.

the first one with the band is a midland--it is readily rebuildable----the second looks like a bendix which may not be rebuildable---check with booster dewey---he did a midland for me and i think the secretary there said the bendix parts are iffy......

and the drum booster works just fine on a disc setup unless maybe you are a 10 year old girl-------i ran a manual brake disc front and rear on a 64 savoy for years-------guys that looked at it would get all smirkey------guys that rode along or got to drive it commented on how great the pedal feel was-----and that was because it wasnt so touchy and lock-up-able like the power system-----under severe braking you could push it to the edge with both ends sounding like paper was tearing---which is the optimum application--like antilock brakes,,,,,,

Bendix made both a single and dual diaphragm booster, the one in the FSM drawing supplied by member saylor is the dual diaphragm type. The Midland Ross single clamp booster shown in the first photo is the correct booster for '67 drum brakes, the Bendix dual diaphragm booster is correct for disc brakes. The Bendix single diaphragm booster was not used in '67 on the Coronet as factory equipment, but it is an acceptable substitute for drum brakes. Do not try to interchange any A, B, or E-body boosters for use on a C-Body, they are a smaller unit and a are less powerful..

Dave

Hey dave granatelli what if I use a brake booster from a 426 like in the FSM picture?

what do I do then? Can it go on a c body? what if it came out of an A body?

Is it drum or disc?

why?

The second booster pic with the notches in the flange looks like the Kelsey Hayes unit shown in my FSM.

Back