BRAKE CYLINDER INNER BORE SIZE

P O'LARA

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Does anyone know if the brake cylinders are the same for both 10" and 11" drums ? I've ordered parts off Joe Suchy and he's being told they're the same but asked me to check it out so any advice would be appreciated. Also it appears that riveted brake linings are no longer available, only bonded ones, anyone know different ?

Thanks from P O'Lara

They are Definitively 15/16" Bore for both 10 " & 11 " for All 8 cylinder MOPARS---
"B" Body, "E" Body, "C" Body, and " A" Body for 1965 - 1976 -- A L L -- With a couple exceptions in the Early 4 Piston Caliper " B " & " C " systems....

Bonded Brake Shoes is the way of the world now --- in the Chineseum world of garbage brake shoes..... The Only way to find *** N.O.S. *** Riveted *** Asbestos *** Brake Shoes --- is someone who has *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos......
(That could be == ME ==)

Does your Polara have
11" x 3" in the Front & 11" x 2 1/2 " in the Rear --- or ---

11" x 2 3/4" in the Front & 11" x 2" in the Rear .......

Craig.....

P O'Lara ---
It says that you " wrote a message on my file".... I have NO IDEA what that is, what that means, and NO IDEA how to see what you wrote ??!!??

Either --- write it here, in this thread, or in a P.M. / Private Message / Conversation.....

Craig.....

Since, I see you mentioned Joe Suchy --- I have no idea who he is, but I see his name, and that he does early cars,
If you have a 1962 - 1964 Dodge Monaco / Polara ---- they are a " B" body -- or a
" Pre - "B" --- and they use 10 " x 2 1/2" in both Front & Rear --- and a very different Rear wheel cylinder (which I also have, of course....) and the interior bore of that wheel cylinder is also a 15/16th" ......

Last edited:
Thanks for that
They are Definitively 15/16" Bore for both 10 " & 11 " for All 8 cylinder MOPARS---
"B" Body, "E" Body, "C" Body, and " A" Body for 1965 - 1976 -- A L L -- With a couple exceptions in the Early 4 Piston Caliper " B " & " C " systems....

Bonded Brake Shoes is the way of the world now --- in the Chineseum world of garbage brake shoes..... The Only way to find *** N.O.S. *** Riveted *** Asbestos *** Brake Shoes --- is someone who has *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos......
(That could be == ME ==)

Does your Polara have
11" x 3" in the Front & 11" x 2 1/2 " in the Rear --- or ---

11" x 2 3/4" in the Front & 11" x 2" in the Rear .......

Craig.....

Thanks so much for your reply and info, I really appreciate a definitive answer.
Mine are 11"/3" front and 2 1/2" rear.
Joe is a Georgia Mopar man who helped me a lot with parts for my Polara when I was restoring it a few years ago, he keeps a few '64 Fury's.
Mine is a Canadian built export model RHD sedan, I've owned for 20 years, it was rusty when I got it
but all that got cut out and done right, it's a much loved family member.
I know I should be on B-bodies but I got great help here when looking for parts so I kept coming back.
I see you have many questions to answer from many people so thanks for your time from P. O'Lara

H camera copy.jpg

Thanks Ross, it's poly 318 push button w/2 barrel, does 32 MPG at 50/55 MPH
I used to drive mid-60's Austins, 1.6 litre, only did the same MPG and they say American cars are ALL
gas guzzlers !! It's got pertronix and Flamethrower coil, put the emissions sensor up the pipe and it'd pass the same test as anything up to about '87/9 so greenies can kiss my A...utobox.

P O'Lara ---
It says that you " wrote a message on my file".... I have NO IDEA what that is, what that means, and NO IDEA how to see what you wrote ??!!??

Either --- write it here, in this thread, or in a P.M. / Private Message / Conversation.....

Craig.....

Since, I see you mentioned Joe Suchy --- I have no idea who he is, but I see his name, and that he does early cars,
If you have a 1962 - 1964 Dodge Monaco / Polara ---- they are a " B" body -- or a
" Pre - "B" --- and they use 10 " x 2 1/2" in both Front & Rear --- and a very different Rear wheel cylinder (which I also have, of course....) and the interior bore of that wheel cylinder is also a 15/16th" ......
HI Mr Mobile Parts, I would love to buy 2 sets of riveted shoes and brake cylinders from you for the rear of my '64 Polara, I also need 2 struts with springs if you have them and would ship to Ireland.
I can pay by VISA or Paypal if that's ok.
About the message on your file, I just pressed reply which is what I'm doing now, sorry if whatever happened caused you grief.

No " GRIEF " --- no known way to access it......just doesn't do anybody any good --
Until somebody were to inform me, on what it is you did, and how I would access what you did........

As I had indicated above^^^, a 1964 Dodge Polara utilizes 10 " x 2 1/2" Brake Shoes for both Front & Rear --- however, Riveted was a very very small percentage of what was accessible back in the *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** yesteryear---- so I will have to see how many Riveted sets I have, if any.....

Next, also as indicated above ^^^, the 1962 - 1964 Rear Wheel Cylinders are very, very different than the 1965 - 1976 Rear Wheel Cylinders .... I --- DO HAVE --- the
1962 - 1964 Rear Wheel Cylinders.... how many do you want --- 2 or 4 ????

I have all the brake hardware --- NEW --- the "combi kit" --- which has the primary & secondary springs, hold down pins, cups, saucers, and washers --- 1 Kit does 2 wheels, hence , you need 2 kits to do an entire car...... I have the Self- Adjuster kits, Left Front and Left Rear are the same, Right Front and Right Rear are the same, but Left and Right are mirror images....

Such, that, you need 6 kits in all to do one (1) car --- 2 combis and 4 adjuster kits
(Don't be alarmed --- they are not big money ....) Additionally , I have those oblong springs that go on the Emergency / Parking Brake Bars --- you need 1 pair --- they are also inexpensive, but they are packed separately, and don't come in any kit....

What I --- DO NOT --- have , is those Emergency / Parking Brake Bars --- the one company that made them NEW is now Out of Business, and I used up my entire supply of them --- both 10 " and 11" --- and they are a different length --- but are in used world ONLY now......

Put out a request for them, NOW, if you truly need them, and maybe, someone who has them can ship them to me, and I can put them in your package, once we figure out exactly what I am sending to you...... that will save you a lot of money, since they weigh next to nothing, and my putting them into my package, will effectively make the shipping of them to Ireland " FREE "......

Let me know.... Yours, Craig.....,

Hi Craig, I'm just going to do the 2 rears as I did the fronts 2 years ago when the bonded linings fell apart.

So I need shoes for both sides, hoping you do have riveted ones.
2 cylinders.
Enough of the combi and self adjusters for the 2 rears plus 1 pair of the oblong springs for the parking brake bar.
I think my bars are usable here's a coupla pics, there's just 2 small gouges, if you think they're too bad please say so.

20220602_185530 (1).jpeg

20220602_185530 (2).jpeg

20220602_185530.jpeg

Wow, what a lovely car! Please, more pictures! Interior, dash, all sides. Those RH Drive knockdown kits are rare.

Cheers!
Here's a few more shots, interior is original other than headliner and dash covering (bad job).
It had about 64000 miles on it when I got it in 2001 ,is in high 80's now, engine's never been apart.
I drove it rusty for about 14 years then wasted 2 years off the road stripped with a con-artist then spent 2 more in a really good shop. Only problems now are non functioning heater and push button mechanism needs attention.

'64 DODGE POLARA WITH McCLAREN in LABANE.jpg

20220602_211311.jpeg

20220602_211320.jpeg

20220602_211409.jpeg

20220602_211454.jpeg

20220602_211555.jpeg

IMG_6578.jpeg

IMG_6629.jpeg

IMG-20220407-WA0013.jpeg

Wow! Looks great - I'm glad you stuck with the project after the downer of having a shoddy/dodgy shop give you the runaround.

People on the forum here can help with the pushbutton control issues - start a new thread on that.

I see you're a musician - me too!

Last edited:
The Strat is a cheap copy that I bought to get it sprayed Anniversary Gold when I was getting the Polara finished, it's set up 50/50 for slide/normal.
I had read that GM colours were the same codes as those Fender used but with different names so my story for a laugh is that in '64 Dodge tied in with Fender for the 50th Anniversary and made 50 special Strats in that colour. I have pride-correct headstock decal on it but you'd only have to pick it up to know it's no Fender and I'd never try to seriously pass it off as one.
My main guitar is a '97 special edition Strat with Texas Specials.
What do you play yourself ?

Nice looking photos, magazine covers, and more....
Those Emergency Brake Bars are acceptable --- they don't get much wear....
See, if Ross agrees that they are " okay ".....
If not, put a thread out asking for some --- as I mentioned, they (whoever "they" is) can send them to me, and I will put them in with your goods......

I will work on your total shortly..... Craig....

That right hand drive trips me out and the bumper guards in the front man, how rare is that Polara? I have a 64 Polara 500 2 door hard top console shift auto made late in 64 but yours is actually gold for the 50th anniversary. Does the steering wheel have 50th ann. in the hub? I think that's only place my car says that. Your dash is freaking me out also.

The Strat is a cheap copy that I bought to get it sprayed Anniversary Gold when I was getting the Polara finished, it's set up 50/50 for slide/normal.
I had read that GM colours were the same codes as those Fender used but with different names so my story for a laugh is that in '64 Dodge tied in with Fender for the 50th Anniversary and made 50 special Strats in that colour. I have pride-correct headstock decal on it but you'd only have to pick it up to know it's no Fender and I'd never try to seriously pass it off as one.
My main guitar is a '97 special edition Strat with Texas Specials.
What do you play yourself ?
www.rosswooldridge.com I play lots of instruments (piano, sax, clarinet, yadda yadda), arranger, producer, conductor, yadda yadda.

Here's one of my latest projects - Brenda Brown, Life Among Giants. I produced and arranged and conducted.

One of my mother's favorites she used to listen to on her old zenith console stereo which I still have. Isn't that Paul Anka or Eddie Arnald redid it IDK. Some of her albums are still in the selafane maybe played once or 3 times.

Back