Brake light switch with cruise control

BLIMP

Reaction score
I'm going to need one of these for a 72 Dodge, but it seems the only switches readily available are for vehicles without cruise control. Has anyone had any luck using a switch made for another vehicle?

There are many new examples available for other manufacturers like GM that appear to be mounted and used in the same manner. Understandably that route would more than likely bring up the need to do some soldering.

Thanks for any advice/leads!

Paul

I'm going to need one of these for a 72 Dodge, but it seems the only switches readily available are for vehicles without cruise control. Has anyone had any luck using a switch made for another vehicle?

There are many new examples available for other manufacturers like GM that appear to be mounted and used in the same manner. Understandably that route would more than likely bring up the need to do some soldering.

Thanks for any advice/leads!

Paul

Is this a 4 connector switch? If so, If memory serves me correctly, I think GM and Mopar used about the same one. www.brotherstrucks.com still shows a listing for the GM pickup cruise control switch, which, I believe; is about the same one
(Ad shows a photo to compare) Photo of your switch would be helpful.
Dave

Last edited:
Chrysler and G.M. cruise control switches although they function the same and have the same amount of connectors are TOTALLY DIFFERENT. To use a G.M. switch in a Chrysler you would need to make a new mounting bracket, and change both connectors. You could use a used switch provided the contacts weren't burnt or corroded. Try Murray Park. The Chrysler switches were the same well through the late 80"s.

Thanks for the responses. I actually haven't taken possession of the wagon yet (it arrives tonight), but the previous owner said he used a non cruise control switch in a pinch. I did find a $100 NOS switch online, but thought that I might be able to use the one mentioned previously from brotherstrucks. But I think that new replacement will work just fine, I appreciate the help!
Paul

This is the one your looking for (Big_John posted a link to another above)

Brake Light Switch-Stoplight Switch Standard SLS-99 MOPAR 2947798 CRUISE CONTROL | eBay

s-l500.jpg

I wouldn't use the cruise without the proper brake cruise interupt switch... just imagine your cruising and something happens in front of you... if you hit the brake and the cruise doesn't cut out you'll be fighting with the engine acceleration until you manually disengage at the turn signal stalk

Thanks for the responses. I actually haven't taken possession of the wagon yet (it arrives tonight), but the previous owner said he used a non cruise control switch in a pinch. I did find a $100 NOS switch online, but thought that I might be able to use the one mentioned previously from brotherstrucks. But I think that new replacement will work just fine, I appreciate the help!
Paul
Pay the extra $22 and get the NOS switch. I'd never trust my car with a reproduction cruise control switch.

I'm kinda torn about the choice...a reproduction part made in Japan, or a NOS plastic part that's been aged 40 years...I'd imagine the original parts were manufactured by an American company right?

I'm kinda torn about the choice...a reproduction part made in Japan, or a NOS plastic part that's been aged 40 years...I'd imagine the original parts were manufactured by an American company right?
I wouldn't call that a "reproduction" part. If you wanted to classify it, it's a NORS piece (New Old Replacement Stock)

I don't know about everybody else here, but I've been using replacement parts, especially stuff like switches for many years. The manufacturer is Standard Motor Products and they've been doing this a long time.

Remember, Chrysler didn't build these switches. They bought them from a vendor... Just like almost everything else.

Just like any new part, I have seen brand new go bad right out of the box. Parts made 25 - 40 years ago were better than things made today. On electrical items, you can return them if they were not installed. Get the N.O.R.S. switch and test it with a multi-meter before you install it.

OK, well, I've had to replace a flasher that was made in China. And a turn signal switch that ended up costing me about $500 in checking my entire electrical system because it was poorly made. The shop I took it to (open since 1974) pointed to another 60s-early 70s vehicle and said they've now gone through 3 turn signal switches because the owner keeps buying new crap that is put out.

While Mopar may have farmed out their stuff back in the day, I don't think it was being made in China or wherever with crappy specs. I have no idea where Standard Motor gets their stuff. All I know is, I'm sticking with stuff that says MOPAR on the box from now on. But, that's just me and from my experience.

The plastic NOS Mopar turn signal switch I just bought seems to be fine. It works way better in terms of engaging the switch than the repop one.

Chrysler and G.M. cruise control switches although they function the same and have the same amount of connectors are TOTALLY DIFFERENT. To use a G.M. switch in a Chrysler you would need to make a new mounting bracket, and change both connectors. You could use a used switch provided the contacts weren't burnt or corroded. Try Murray Park. The Chrysler switches were the same well through the late 80"s.

I was assuming that the NOS/NORS switch was unavailable. No reason to try and adapt another switch if the original can still be had.

Dave

Guys, talking cruise. On the switch picture shown, is cruise the long wires or the pins?
YES. Best way to check is to use a multi-meter and connect across the two wires. You should have continuity across the two wires with the switch depressed. The reverse is for the two for the brake lights, continuity with the switch extended.

YES. Best way to check is to use a multi-meter and connect across the two wires. You should have continuity across the two wires with the switch depressed. The reverse is for the two for the brake lights, continuity with the switch extended.

And Chrysler made a lot of this stuff fool proof by simply making a connection like this.

s-l500.jpg

I don't know about everybody else here, but I've been using replacement parts, especially stuff like switches for many years. The manufacturer is Standard Motor Products and they've been doing this a long time.

One of these suddenly popped up on Rockauto for $12, so I quickly pounced on it. Appears to be some vintage good old "Made in USA" parts. Not trying to prove or disprove anything, just wanted to share.

40291254141_12632da933_k.jpg
40246155422_46f6cd7e56_k.jpg
38481398830_dcf4c9e5f9_k.jpg
39579804354_2bf4a9df99_k.jpg

Has anyone sourced the nuts that secure the switch to the bracket? I believe they are called PAL nuts

20220214_144946.jpg

20220214_144959.jpg

20220214_152648.jpg

20220214_152658.jpg

Back