Brake light/taillight problem

patrick66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
On the '66 Imperial, when the headlights are on, the brake lights come on and stay on.

When the headlights are off and i apply the brakes, the taillights come on.

I remember someone posting that the headlight switch should be repaired, and likely the dimmer switch, also. Who repairs these?

I'd look at the grounds at the tail/brake lights before anything else.

On the '66 Imperial, when the headlights are on, the brake lights come on and stay on.

When the headlights are off and i apply the brakes, the taillights come on.

I remember someone posting that the headlight switch should be repaired, and likely the dimmer switch, also. Who repairs these?
I agree with John but if it comes down to it @Devinism is your man for the rebuild of the switches.

Try grounding the light sockets with an temp lead with alligator clips, sounds like the tail/brake light circuit has a faulty ground and the unused light bulb filaments are supplying the ground to the circuit.

Dave

Well, the turn signal problem was a burnt-out relay. I popped all of the rear bulbs out to clean the sockets and the bulb bases, with no change in the brake-light or taillight problems. The tag light works fine, at least. All of the front lamps function as they're supposed to. The brake light switch is new.

Well, the turn signal problem was a burnt-out relay. I popped all of the rear bulbs out to clean the sockets and the bulb bases, with no change in the brake-light or taillight problems. The tag light works fine, at least. All of the front lamps function as they're supposed to. The brake light switch is new.
Did you check the ground? That is a classic bad ground symptom. A wire and some alligator clips is all you need.

Cleaning the sockets is always a good idea, but that probably won't help your problem. It really sounds like there is a bad connection between the tail light housings and a ground. Clip a wire to the back of a bulb socket and then to a good ground. Since the lights are in the bumper, I'd find another spot besides the bumper for a ground to do this test.

Without doing this simple test, you are just spinning your wheels.

As far back as post #2 and #5.....grounds.
It is so simple to run a jumper wire for ground from the socket/housing to the body (not the bumper) as a process of elimination.
Also as a process of elimination check the turn signal switch since it powers the brake lights.
Wiggle the stalk and with somone check the taillights see if one side goes out,or what have you.
Hope this helps.

Still nothing. There is obviously a short (or two or three) somewhere. Spent two hours on the damn thing last night. Screw it. It goes to the shop Tuesday, I've been dickin' with this nonsense long enough.

I feel your frustration.
It has got to be somewhere between the headlight switch and turn signal switch.
Had you checked the connector behind driver's kick panel where the tail light harness connects to dash harness??
Did the car in the past tow a trailer?? Is there a trailer harness hiding in the trunk?? I had seen on other cars some butchery done there that caused headaches.
You said you have a new brake light switch..so I am leaning on the TS switch.

Just throwing ideas out there.
Electrical is my forte,wish I was there to help.
Best of luck,brother.

Last edited:
Back