Brake lights off

Stoffauge

Reaction score
New thread - older ones couldn´t answer my questions IMO

71 Sport Fury 383 Super Com

Problem: Stop lights don´t work

Chronological order: Fuse block is fine ,12v are on and going to the brake light switch (pink cable)on the pedal, "pushing brake" - switch creates continuity and 12v conduct to the white cable on the other end of the brake light switch and the white cable leads to the direction signal connection up to the steering column, 12v right there when pushing the brake. Now there is the Problem: Brown cable on the steering column leads to the back light bulbs / stop lights and is 100% fine, if pushing the brake the white cable and brown cable get connected on the steering column "blinker switch thing" (checked it with the continuity tester with multimeter) . Is that right that it connects? but if so, shouldnt the brake lights work then? For me the whole stop light circle is fine but i just dont know why the brake lights won´t flash up.

hope that makes sense. Wrote down in same order as tested.

Needs to know: Frontend off
Dash removed
Back lights work FINE
Blinker work fine (flashing up but no blinking because of no frontend attached)
ALL grounds ground down to bare metal and polished (all grounds of the back lights and ground of the dome light too) tested grounds after - 100% good.
even installed additional ground cables for sidemarkers for example.

Really hope I did just miss one small thing that makes it work. Excited to read what you guys think about it.

Thanks ,

Fabian

Body is ground and with the dash removed the Turnsignal switch is not getting ground
Personally, I normally check the lights and work out the bugs when the car is fully assembled.
Otherwise I would be guessing a bad turnsignal switch. The brake light circuit as you know runs through it.

I see what you mean but the turn signal switch IS working (left and rear turning lights flash up like it should). That´s what makes me wondering. And the dash itself is ground for the turn signal switch?

I try to check all the electric stuff now where it´s easy reachable with the dash off...that´s why.

There is a ground wire that gets bolted between steering column and the stud from dash that holds the column. Important ground since you have the plastic pieces between them.
Mopar designed the switch and you dont have to understand why the brake lights go though it.
Keep in mind the Hazards share real estate in the TS switch and share some of the same circuits as brake lights. (Thats why when you hit the brake pedal with hazards on they stop flashing)

Overthinking causes unnecessary problems
I think you are chasing your tail.
Put the car together then test and confirm a bad ground or bad TS switch.
Cheers

You´re probably right. I am too close right now kinda. Gonna do it later and keep going. Thanks

Back