Brake pedal doesn't return

Fred

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a new member, and I think I searched the brake forum for my problem, but cannot find it. I have a 62 Newport, manual brakes, and my brake pedal will not return to proper height, leaving the brake lights on. If I pull up on it, it stays up. I had this problem before, and it went away when I adjusted the brakes. I haven't really put any miles on it, and the pedal started doing the same thing. I adjusted the brakes again, but the pedal still won't return. I am thinking master cylinder, as I have only had the car a couple years, and the master looks pretty old. The previous owner replaced the wheel cylinders and shoes. Also, it seems to me that I have to really put a lot of pressure on it to bring it to a full stop. It doesn't pull, or make any noises, but it just seems like it takes more effort than needed. I had a semi-panic stop the other day, and I thought the wheels should have locked up, but none did. Thanks in advance, Fred.

If you have manual brakes it’s the master cylinder.

if you have power brakes it’s the brake booster.

this is considering the Pedal pivots are all free and not binding up,

Last edited:
How old are the rubber lines? They could be collapsed on the inside causing issues. Good Luck

How old are the rubber lines? They could be collapsed on the inside causing issues. Good Luck
This will not keep the pedal from returning. It will only keep the shoes from returning.

As noted, usually this is the result of a bad brake booster. One of the symptoms of a bad booster is that it will take more than normal brake pressure to stop the car. Do you hear a steady hiss or does the engine stumble as the brake pedal is applied? That is another symptom of a bad booster. Usually boosters fail because the master cylinder is leaking brake fluid into the booster and degrading the internal components.

Dave

As noted, usually this is the result of a bad brake booster. One of the symptoms of a bad booster is that it will take more than normal brake pressure to stop the car. Do you hear a steady hiss or does the engine stumble as the brake pedal is applied? That is another symptom of a bad booster. Usually boosters fail because the master cylinder is leaking brake fluid into the booster and degrading the internal components.

Dave
It has manual brakes.

If you have manual brakes it’s the master cylinder.

if you have power brakes it’s the brake booster.

this is considering the Pedal pivots are all free and not binding up,
Thanks! I was leaning that way, just needed confirmation.

If it has manual brakes, most likely a bad master cylinder as noted. You might also want to check to be sure none of the wheel cylinders is hanging up by jacking the car up and being sure none of the individual brakes are dragging. Brakes that are improperly bled will also cause pedal return issues and hard braking.

Dave

If it has manual brakes, most likely a bad master cylinder as noted. You might also want to check to be sure none of the wheel cylinders is hanging up by jacking the car up and being sure none of the individual brakes are dragging. Brakes that are improperly bled will also cause pedal return issues and hard braking.

Dave
Already did, and they don't. A new master cylinder for me! Thanks!

Already did, and they don't. A new master cylinder for me! Thanks!

If you have the service manual, read the section on adjusting the travel rod before you install the new master cylinder. If you do not have the manual, you can download it for free at www.mymopar.com you will find the manuals in the tools/reference section from the home page.

Dave

If you have the service manual, read the section on adjusting the travel rod before you install the new master cylinder. If you do not have the manual, you can download it for free at www.mymopar.com you will find the manuals in the tools/reference section from the home page.

Dave
I have a manual, but it's short on detail in some things. I will check out your link. Thanks!

Dave
Says it's not a secure site.

So, I did have the master cylinder replaced, and I still have a very low pedal. Now it comes back, and I don't have to pull it up with my other foot, but it goes almost to the floor, and the brakes still seem like they aren't really stopping like they should. I know Chrysler's have a low pedal, but this seems excessive. My mechanic pulled the front hubs, all looks new. I had to buy a hub puller for the rears, should be here Thursday, but I was told all four wheels had had brakes and hardware and cylinders replaced at the same time. My mechanic says he thinks the rod is too short. The manual isn't clear on if it should be adjustable, the picture isn't detailed enough for the manual brake, but the power brake rod looks adjustable. I just wonder if I have the wrong rod in it. And if so, where to get a replacement. I'm also wondering about glazing.

Drum brakes need to be adjusted correctly or you will have a low pedal Forever. Start there.

Back